The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 22, 2017, 06:15 AM   #1
Excoastie

Springfield XDS

Morning everyone!

I've been looking around for a .45 for EDC.

I've had my eye on the XDS, but now I'm reading good things about the Shield in 45 (I already have the 9, and I love it).

The Shield is cheaper than the XDS, but not really so much that it's a game changer. It seems that the going rate for the XDS is ~$500, but I have seen it for ~$430, and of course, gunbroker, and a few others have it even cheaper plus shipping and transfer fees, which puts it right back into the same price range. I was hoping to be under $550 all in when I made the purchase. This is a gun show this weekend that I plan on checking out. I know it's rare to find a "steal of a deal" at a gun show, but they do happen on occasion.

I figure that I can't go wrong with either one. Anyone have a preference of one over the other? why?

Exco
Old October 22, 2017, 10:39 AM   #2
railroader

I have the shield in 9mm and I have the XDS in 45. I like both equally but I carry the shield more only because it holds more rounds. Both are very accurate and reliable. I don't know how much transfers are for guns where you are at but here is the XDS45 for $379 shipped. Here in Arizona I go the online route because transfers are $20 and no tax.
https://www.gunbuyer.com/springfield...3345be-gb.html
Old October 22, 2017, 11:27 AM   #3
SA1911

Good Morning, Excoastie,

My opinion is that they full-size 1911-A1 .45 ACP is the preeminent self-defense handgun. I've yet to hold any handgun, revolver or semiauto, that has the natural point of a 1911-A1.

A fill-size 1911-A1 is very easy to conceal. That would make us perfectly good if it were the only criterion. Loaded with 9 230 grain rounds, the 1911-A1 is heavy. The rub is smaller variants aren't appreciably lighter; hence, the logical option is to go with a full-size version. Smaller variants don't seem to have the excellent natural point of a full-size version.

Carried on a suitable belt in a suitable holster, the 1911-A1 is a breeze to carry all day. However, that which makes the 1911-A1 suitable for all day carry makes it difficult to conceal.

If I could, I'd carry a full-size 1911-A1. Reality is another story. I had to compromise. I've gone with a Sig P239 in .40 S&W, which is not much a compromise. But were I able, I'd be all over a 1911-A1.
Old October 22, 2017, 12:00 PM   #4
otasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1911 View Post
Good Morning, Excoastie,

My opinion is that they full-size 1911-A1 .45 ACP is the preeminent self-defense handgun. I've yet to hold any handgun, revolver or semiauto, that has the natural point of a 1911-A1.

A fill-size 1911-A1 is very easy to conceal. That would make us perfectly good if it were the only criterion. Loaded with 9 230 grain rounds, the 1911-A1 is heavy. The rub is smaller variants aren't appreciably lighter; hence, the logical option is to go with a full-size version. Smaller variants don't seem to have the excellent natural point of a full-size version.

Carried on a suitable belt in a suitable holster, the 1911-A1 is a breeze to carry all day. However, that which makes the 1911-A1 suitable for all day carry makes it difficult to conceal.

If I could, I'd carry a full-size 1911-A1. Reality is another story. I had to compromise. I've gone with a Sig P239 in .40 S&W, which is not much a compromise. But were I able, I'd be all over a 1911-A1.
Agreed. The M1911A1 .45 ACP is the greatest pistol ever made. I just CCW'd my SA M1911A1 to church. It was invisible at IWB 11 o'clock carry. The Glock 17 is a close second.
Old October 22, 2017, 12:25 PM   #5
Fla_dogman

I have the XDS 45 4" and absolutely love it. Initially I wanted the 3.3 but got the 4.0 because it was in stock and I'm glad I did. The 4.0 is well balanced and handles well. With the large magazine it becomes a full size pistol. Imo the best of both worlds. Both pistols are fine EDC but I'm partial for the XDS, I liked Springfield so well I went back and bought the Mod 2 in 9mm for when I want capacity.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Old October 22, 2017, 12:26 PM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by railroader View Post
I have the shield in 9mm and I have the XDS in 45. I like both equally but I carry the shield more only because it holds more rounds. Both are very accurate and reliable. I don't know how much transfers are for guns where you are at but here is the XDS45 for $379 shipped. Here in Arizona I go the online route because transfers are $20 and no tax.
https://www.gunbuyer.com/springfield...3345be-gb.html
The XDS 45 has 5, 6 and 7 round magazines. The Shield has 6 and 7 round magazines.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 22, 2017, 01:54 PM   #7
railroader

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
The XDS 45 has 5, 6 and 7 round magazines. The Shield has 6 and 7 round magazines.
My shield is 9mm and has 7 and 8 round mags. I use the 7 round mag.With my XDS45 I use the 5 or 6 round mag. The XDS45 7 round mag is the size of a full size grip so I don't use it for carry.
Old October 22, 2017, 03:59 PM   #8
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by railroader View Post
My shield is 9mm and has 7 and 8 round mags. I use the 7 round mag.With my XDS45 I use the 5 or 6 round mag. The XDS45 7 round mag is the size of a full size grip so I don't use it for carry.
My XDS45, I'll carry with the 5 or 6 round, and carry the 7 as a spare. Yes, it's long, as long as a standard 1911 magazine. Unless you want to pocket carry, the 6 round "mid-mag" is a great size.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 22, 2017, 04:02 PM   #9
Siggy-06

The XDS 9mm is my current ccw. I had a shield in .40 and 9mm and both were good guns, I also had a Ruger LC9 too. To me, the XDS just feels the most solid of the bunch. It had the best sights, trigger, and grip(and you can change the backstraps on this where the shield and lc9 you can't). I got it during springfields promotion so I got 4 extra mags and a paddle holster for free!
Old October 22, 2017, 04:44 PM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excoastie
. . . . I've been looking around for a .45 for EDC.

I've had my eye on the XDS, but now I'm reading good things about the Shield in 45 (I already have the 9, and I love it). . . . .

I figure that I can't go wrong with either one. . . .
I think you've already nailed it. It'd be hard to go wrong here. I own a 9mm Shield and I love it. I have a buddy that had a .45 XDs, and I got to shoot it a couple of times. Loved it, too.
Old October 23, 2017, 06:41 AM   #11
rodfac

The XDS is a hellofa nice carry piece. My #2 son's everyday, off duty companion in fact. It's thinner in the hand than any of our 1911's; (Colt, Ruger, Remington-Rand or Sig), and weighs appreciably less...like half a pound when fully loaded. Too, with his example, accuracy is astounding...I've seen him kill a wood chuck with it out at 60 long paces!

Were I not enamoured with my my Sig 1911 RCS, it'd be my first choice for serious carry. Capacity is limited but those big .45 slugs do make an impression...and let's face it, a 40 round gunfight, in our local, amongst civilians is just not reality.

Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; October 23, 2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old October 23, 2017, 09:16 AM   #12
otasan

Have you looked into Glocks? The G36 is a good choice.
Old October 23, 2017, 09:28 AM   #13
doofus47

I liked my XDS-9; I found it easy to aim and very accurate.

Although, I carry a PPS mod.1 or p99c to have the same magazine release as my other Walthers that I use, I still haven't sold the XDS.

I would recommend the Talon grips to cover the stock XDS grip stippling. This will allow you more range time when practicing.
Old October 23, 2017, 09:43 AM   #14
otasan

XDS-9 - another Glock clone.
Old October 23, 2017, 12:51 PM   #15
Excoastie

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I have pretty much decided that I'm going to go with the XDS. I love my shield, but I feel getting another one in a different caliber wouldn't be much different than what I already have. Part of why I was looking at the XDS is that it's completely different, and it has almost no similarities to the Shield.

I have shot a couple of hundred rounds through a buddy's XDS 45, and I liked it. I was surprised at how well it shot, and that the recoil wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

I appreciate the thoughts on the 1911 full sized pistols. They're great guns, but I have two issues with purchasing one of those... I have small hands (most of the full sized guns are just too big for me to hold comfortably), and my budget for this gun is only going to be about $550 all in. I'm also not a real big fan of the Glocks; I can't put my finger on what it is, they just don't float my boat.

I plan on attending a gun show this weekend, and if I can find one at a decent price, I'll pick it up. If no one is selling at reasonable prices, I'll just have my LGS get me one. I'm the type that will spend a little bit extra to give my business to an LGS, rather than one of the large box stores. I'd prefer the person that I bought the gun from knew what they were selling, and I like the fact that they recognize me when I enter the store, sometimes even greeting me by name. That isn't something that will happen at one of the box stores.

Time to go shopping

Exco
Old October 28, 2017, 05:11 PM   #16
Excoastie

I surprised myself. I was able to find an XDS in .45 at the gun show this morning for a decent price of $435, new in the box. I came with the cable lock, two mags, the mag extension, and the hard case.

The best that I was able to find locally was $485, so I feel that I did pretty good, as that is probably less than I would have paid online once the transfer fees were added in.

Exco
Old October 31, 2017, 05:24 AM   #17
OhioGuy

Congrats on the new gun!

Does anyone own or carry the 4" barrel version of the XD-s?

I've seen one in a store, but never shot it. If you have the real estate to carry it, it seems that would be a way to essentially get the benefits of a full size service pistol, but with a very shot and thin grip for concealment. (Yeah, at that point you kinda ask "Can I spare that extra 0.3" in width to double my round count?) Still it seems like an interesting combination, but I'm guessing not a very popular one.
Old October 31, 2017, 09:52 AM   #18
Carmady

I have a XD-S 4.0, and plan on carrying it AIWB after I get a suitable kydex holster. I'm a little guy, and find this pistol much easier to conceal than a snub. These things are flat, like sawed out of a 1 x 6 flat.

I tried Glock 36 and a kydex holster and was surprised at how well I was able to carry it, and that's why I'm sure the XD-S will work IF I can find the right holster. I only want to buy one holster for it. I got rid of the G36 for other reasons. I'm very pleased with the XD-S.