The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 17, 2024, 04:44 PM   #1
tangolima

Scope turret question

I have a scope made in Czech Republic. It has simplified exposed turrets, without any reset features, and there is no indication whatsoever if the turret has turned more than one revolution.

Is there any trick to tell whether I have turned the turret for more than one turn? Short of firing a shot of course. Thanks.

-TL

PS. One full turn is 15moa.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old February 18, 2024, 01:27 AM   #2
tangolima

For now I just refrain from turning more than one turn, but use hold over to supplement. It has a mil-dot style reticle with 8moa per tick. For instance, for 20moa I would dial in 12moa on the turret and hold 1 tick. 12 + 8 = 20. It works. But the dot has size of 1moa. It obscure small targets.

-TL

Old February 18, 2024, 03:19 AM   #3
bamaranger

ideas

I'm not really a click and shoot guy, but I have some ideas:

-zero your at what ever distance you prefer, than count clicks down till the turret bottoms out. Record same, like on the rifle with tape or a sharpie or some similar on board arrangement, so you can't , mess up and loose it. You can then count clicks back up to your zero. If you click up/down for a shot and lose your dope, you can click all the way to the bottom again, and back up to your zero, which you have recorded.

-you don't say what cartridge you are shooting, or at at distance you zero or how far you are trying to hit.? Another option depending on above, is to zero at longer range than you might be currently, ie, zero at say 600 yd. Then bottom out the turret and record how far down your 600 yd zero is, record it lastingly on the rifle, and click back up to your zero. If you then have 15MOA left on the turret for a single revolution,( you might not) a full rotation should get you to 800 plus (for a .308 size ctg) , which is a heck of a long shot. Using your hold off points could get you even further. You would have to record your dope again and click back to the 600 yd zero, every shot. If you loose your dope totally, you can click down to bottom out and back up to 600. Two dots UP from center of crosshair would be -8 & -16 MOA if I understand your reticle. Those dots could serve as your 300 and 100 yd hasty aiming points roughly, if zeroed at 600.

-don't click. Zero with your top mildot, and shoot and record strike for each dot, down thru the center of the cross hairs and out the bottom. If you have 3 dots to center, you are looking at 64 MOA of hold over to the bottom dot and no math, no clicks. That's way out there. Counter intuitive, I could never do it, but I suppose it could be learned. Any distance between dots would have to be Kentucky windage.

-finally, most turret shafts reciprocate a wee bit as you rotate. Could it be possible to mark the turret when zeroed flush with the scope housing, and use said shaft as an indicator as to where your are? Zero would be when the mark aligns with the top of the scope housing again

Now for all that, tell us what make scope exactly...please
Old February 18, 2024, 04:40 AM   #4
tangolima

Thanks for the tips. The top / bottom idea is good. It is a bit slow, but so far the best.

Hold over only is no good. The turret has resolution of 1/4 moa. The reticle is basic 8moa dots. The best eyeballing I can do is not better than 1moa. I would rather turret and hold.

The scope is valiant lynx 4x32 fixed. It is on a PCP airgun. 50yd zero. At 110yd (100 meter), it is already 20moa. Unlike other scopes with exposed turret, this one's turret cap doesn't move up or down at all, so marking the turret tower doesn't work.

-TL

Old February 18, 2024, 04:03 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Make some kind of witness mark (a sharpie might be good enough).

Turn the turret in one direction, counting the number of revolutions using the witness mark for reference, until it stops. Then turn it in the opposite direction until it stops, counting how many turns that takes.

Then turn the turret back to approximate center (half the turns needed to go from one end of the adjustment range to the other).

Once "centered" THEN start your sight in process.

This should work tolerably well whether there are clicks or not. Based on your description you're working with a pretty coarse system.
Old February 18, 2024, 05:17 PM   #6
tangolima

No problem zeroing. Returning to zero after use is the issue. When I see elevation at 4, no way I can tell for sure whether it is 4moa, or 19moa above zero. It can well be 11moa below.

It is 1/4moa per click. Not too coarse. It is an entry level scope with very good optics.

-TL

Old February 18, 2024, 05:31 PM   #7
tangolima

Experimented with the turret just now. There are 8 full turns end-to-end, or 120moa, which seems a lot. At zero, there are 3 turns below and 5 turns above, not quite in the middle. That's smart. It is no point having more 1 turn below if I get to decide. It is wasted range.

All good. I know what I will do down the road.