The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 6, 2000, 07:58 PM   #1
acp Mikey

As I was loading some 44 spl cases on my Dillon 550 the other day, I began to get some primers sideways in the pocket. I watched very closely and they seemed to be sitting in the seating part fine. My questions - What might cause this (primer pocket too tight, etc)? and What can I use to kill the primers so I can use the cases again. I might add these cases were once used and when I loaded them new, no such problems. Thanks for the help.
Old September 7, 2000, 07:56 PM   #2
JoeHatley

I'll take a stab at helping ya...

The same thing happends to me from time to time. I've found that for me it's usually because the inside case mouth needs chamfering, or I'm belling the mouth too much.

Either of these things will cause the case to stick or grab a bit as it is lowered off the belling portion of the die. This causes a jerk in the operation of the press handle. When the jerk happens, the primer about to be seated gets jolted and it can turn sideways.

Hope that helps...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old September 7, 2000, 09:45 PM   #3
Joe Portale

Seen this before in my buddies 550. The folks at Dillon pretty clearly stated that it is vibration or jerking of the handle that causes the primers to flip.

------------------
Joe Portale
Tucson, Arizona Territory

"Those who turn their swords into plow shears,
end up plowing the fields of those who didn't"
Thomas Jefferson