The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 14, 2021, 12:27 PM   #26
Nanuk

Wild cat, yep lifelong shooter and competition shooter. The 686 no dash was purchased in 1984, that is 37 years ago and used in competition for a long time, it also served as my duty gun for several years. It would see 1000 rounds a month for several years.

Just because you can't does not mean other don't.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old May 18, 2021, 08:41 PM   #27
wild cat mccane

Yep. I agreed. But the average to above average shooter isn't shooting cases like 9mm.

A non competition person who hasn't owned a revolver for 30 years vs anyone trigger happy at the range with an auto
Old May 20, 2021, 02:29 PM   #28
Mike_Fontenot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
[...]
An N frame S&W is, for me, great in .357 and too light for comfort in .44 Mag. Certainly eminently usable, but not comfortable with full magnum ammo.
[...]
My 5" 629 Classic (full-underlug) .44mag DOES feel comfortable to me, with full-spec 240gr Underwoods in it. That is because I use a very unusual shooting technique. I use a VERY relaxed grip, and with relaxed and flexed elbows, and relaxed shoulders. I also stand up straight in a relaxed posture, with my feet equidistant from the target. The result is that when the round goes off, the recoil just gets soaked up by the mass of my arms, and none of the JOLT gets transferred to any part of my body, because I'm not resisting the recoil. The muzzle ends up vertical, though, and that has gotten me kicked off of two different indoor ranges (for violating the rule of keeping the muzzle pointing down-range). It works so well for me, though, that I'm not willing to give it up. I also exclusively shoot single-action, and I cock the hammer with my weak thumb as the muzzle is coming back down, so the high muzzle rise doesn't really slow me down very much. I DID replace the factory grips with the X500 grips, so that also helps some with the recoil. But most of the credit goes to the relaxed shooting style.

As far as the idea of shooting mostly low-powered ammo for practice, I found out there is a downside to that. When I first got my 4" 686 (a couple of years before getting the 629), I planned to just shoot a few .357mags every session, with the rest being low-powered .38special American Eagles. What I found was that, when I was initially shooting only full-spec .357mags, I became completely accustomed to the recoil, with no tendency to flinch, but after changing strategy and shooting mostly .38specials, the .357mags suddenly felt harsh and I started to flinch again. After that, I decided to shoot ONLY full-spec magnum loads, in both guns. Because of that, they now always feel mild to me, and I have no tendency to flinch.