The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 18, 2015, 10:41 AM   #1
cw308

Should I resize

Did all the prep work on my brass 25 cases cleaning with the walnut media, would like to clean them again using the SS Pins & wash . would you resize the casas again.
Old November 18, 2015, 11:08 AM   #2
Ole 5 hole group

I take it you tumbled the cases to clean them up prior to depriming and resizing your cases - you then probably deprimed & resized the cases and maybe uniformed the primer pockets and flash hole prior to cleaning everything up tumbling with walnut media - if that is the way you did it, there's no advantage to you resizing the cases again but you can run them through again using the SS pins & wash if you think they will look better to you.
Old November 18, 2015, 11:22 AM   #3
wogpotter

I'm not quite sure what you did from your post, so this may not be the answer you're looking for.
You resize ONCE in the reloading process. Once only. Multiple resizes just wear the brass unnecessarily.
Cleaning, or re-cleaning won't change case size anyway so if they're resized you're GTG.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old November 18, 2015, 11:32 AM   #4
kilimanjaro

No, you don't need to re-size again, you can tumble it for a week it's still the same dimensions you sized it to.

If you full-length sized, next reload consider neck-sizing only, presuming you are working with rifle shells.

You can skip the walnut cleaning and go directly to SS pins. Or vice versa. I prefer SS pins since the walnut media is dusty and the tumblers noisy. Your choice, you can't clean your brass too much.

Do not resize dirty brass, you'll wreck your die. I know a reloader who cleans his brass before initial inspection, again after inspection/depriming, again before sizing/reloading. I think he'd clean it again if he could add another step to the process. It doesn't hurt the brass and does make handling and inspection a lot easier.

During your SS pin cleaning period, if you change out most of the water around mid-cycle you really get good-looking brass.

Last edited by kilimanjaro; November 18, 2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old November 18, 2015, 12:17 PM   #5
Jim243

After case prep and resizing, I run all my rifle cases again through the tumbler to get the case lube off and shine them up again then I trim the length.

Do you have to, no, but I just like the way they look when they are finished. Besides cleaning them up keeps my chamber from getting gummed up from the case lube.

Good luck.
Jim
Old November 18, 2015, 04:28 PM   #6
hartcreek

I tumble first. Then I deprime and resize. I also wipe the sizing lube off on an old towel.
Old November 18, 2015, 05:26 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

If you leave the cases in the rotary tumbler too long, the mouths can start to curl inward at the lip. You would use a Sinclair mandrel die or push it part way onto a sizing die expander to iron that back out to size for the bullet. But otherwise, no additional sizing should be applied.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 18, 2015, 06:37 PM   #8
cw308

Thanks once again for all your advice. I do like the way the SS pins clean the brass inside & out. I let it run for 2.5 hours.
Old November 18, 2015, 08:47 PM   #9
Gster

I deprime, tumble in stainless pins for 30 minutes (tried it longer for up to 2 hrs. and no dif.,still look like new) dry in dehydrater for 30 mins., size and prime.
Old November 19, 2015, 10:17 AM   #10
Fotheringill

In my experience (meager as it may be)

Deprime and then tumble with walnut is going to leave walnut pieces in the primer pocket which adds another step in the whole process. They may not be dislodged easily with the brush. I would tumble first and then full or neck resize. You also don't want the spent powder in the resizing die.
Old November 19, 2015, 11:55 AM   #11
wogpotter

Yeah I do not deprime before tumbling. It doesn't really clean the pocket but it does love to get jammed in the flashole.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”