The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 7, 2010, 02:06 PM   #1
Buzzard Bait

Nosler E Tip

Does anyone have any experience with the nosler E tip? How does it compare to the Barnes bullet is it sensitive to seating depth and amount of jump to the rifling like Barnes also same questions about Hornady's GMX bullet.
bb
Old July 7, 2010, 03:41 PM   #2
snuffy

Don't know about the E-tip, haven't tried them. But here's a few pics of the Horandy GMX.

Those were loaded in my 300 WSM Browning a-bolt. They're 165 grain. Average velocity was 3077 fps. Don't remember the load. or OAL.

They were fired into 1 gal milk jugs stacked end-to-end, bullet was in the forth jug. Almost no loss of weight, other than the plastic tip.

I would imagine the E-tip would be similar. Since you didn't ask about any specific caliber or cartridge, I can only speculate.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 7, 2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Scorch

An article in the most recent American Hunter describes a hunt using both the Barnes TSX bullet and the Nosler E-Tip. Performance on game was good, accuracy was outstanding.
Old July 8, 2010, 04:11 AM   #4
escard

good loads .300 WinMag/180 & 30-06/150

Last fall I tried some handloads with the e-tip (.300 WinMag/180grs/RL-22; 30-06/150 grs/H-4350), whereas all the loads shortly below maximum pressure did their job very accurately! I didn´t try the loadings on game, because they where made for someone else´s rifle.

I found a fine general rule for the loading data:
cutting off 2-3 grains from a max load with same weighing Barnes T-TSX..........(this procedere did well for .300 WinMag/180 as well as 30-06/150)
Old July 8, 2010, 11:35 AM   #5
Buzzard Bait

no doubt

I really have now doubts about the performance on game by any of these bullets, but I got frustrated big time trying to get accuracy with Barnes bullets. One of my rifles I tried gave poor accuracy with them but is accurate with normal bullets and my rem 700 30 06 gave me only fair accuracy with them. I have since read that seating depth and amount of jump before in-gaging the rifling is critical for accuracy with Barnes bullets. I am wondering if this is also true about the other non lead bullets.
bb