The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 10, 2010, 09:08 AM   #1
Elkins45

Lee turret press- do spent primers go everywhere?

I use a Lee turret press for some of my pistol loading and it throws primers everywhere. I also have a Pro 1000 (which is based on the same frame) and it captures all the spent primers in the base. Not so with the turret press---some are captured by the base but at least 50% end up in the floor. Do I need to just slow down at the very end of the sizing stroke so the primer pops out more gently or is there some part I'm missing that is supposed to deflect the spent primers downward?

TIA for any advice.
Old July 10, 2010, 09:10 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Do you have the primer seating arm installed? It somewhat keeps them from bouncing out the side of the ram, though I've deprimed without it and never lost one, until last night, when I lost ONE even with the arm installed.
Old July 10, 2010, 09:13 AM   #3
Farmland

I have the same problem with my Lee Classic Cast press. If I don't have the primer arm installed primers go everywhere.
Old July 10, 2010, 11:13 AM   #4
snuffy

Elkins, it sounds like you have the older version "deluxe" model of the Lee turret. There's almost nothing that can be done to solve your problem. The only solution is to buy the new classic turret.

The older turret suffers from that problem. Some have made a deflector to help direct the errant fired primers into the base. Do a search on here, you might find some that works.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 10, 2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Don P

Post 2 and 3 answered and solved the problem.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 10, 2010, 02:07 PM   #6
rtpzwms

Well mine fly all over. I have a trashcan that gets placed under the ram and most (95%) end up in the bucket. If anyone has a better device for catching the primers let us know...
Old July 10, 2010, 02:53 PM   #7
Elkins45

I'm definitely going to try purring the primer arm back into the slop, but I did find a post on another site where a guy described taking out the ram and installing it backwards so the primers fly out backwards. Wrapping a little duct tape between the back two support posts might be all the deflector needed in that case.

I'm going to try the primer arm first before I take it apart. Thanks for the input.