The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 2, 1999, 01:07 AM   #1
Gunslinger

Lately I've developed a craving for a case hardened lever action. It's primary function will be as another wall hanger.
I'm leaning toward the Navy Arms '92's as advertised in Gun List at about $345. Does anyone know if these are manufactured by Rossie? And has anyone actually seen one in the case hardened finish? If so how does the case hardening compare to the 1873 Italian copies?

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Old June 2, 1999, 02:24 AM   #2
Daniel Watters

Yes, Navy Arms' Winchester '92 replicas are being made by Rossi. Rossi confirms this in the FAQ on their web page: www.rossiusa.com .
Old June 2, 1999, 09:36 AM   #3
Gunslinger

Thank ya kindly Daniel. I'll check out their web site and see if it's available direct from them as opposed to ordering it from NA. To be honest I'm not a real fan of the Rossi. But as I said it is primarily intended as a wall hanger. Have you actually seen one to comment on the finish?

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Old June 2, 1999, 02:03 PM   #4
Daniel Watters

No, I'm afraid that I haven't seen any of the Navy Arms rifles in my area yet. So far, I don't think BrazTech (Rossi's new importer) will be bringing in the '92 carbines and rifles.

[This message has been edited by Daniel Watters (edited June 02, 1999).]
Old June 6, 1999, 10:52 AM   #5
Trapdoor Billy

Gunslinger, I got one of the older Rossi 92,s
like it very much, but if ya looking for a case color replica, better stick to the 73's, cause
I don't think the 92's came that way.

------------------
Trapdoor Billy
Indian Scout and Delaware Cowboy
Old June 23, 1999, 10:41 PM   #6
Arizona Eric

Got an older 92 Rossi myself. Not the smoothest lever gun you'll ever shoot, but reasonable. It was called the "Puma" at the time, so I have to hide the silly little puma-head on the left side of the receiver from my shooting buddies. Outside of that, it's OK.

[This message has been edited by Arizona Eric (edited June 23, 1999).]
Old June 23, 1999, 11:09 PM   #7
Gunslinger

Ah shoot Arizona go ahead and gold fill that Puma and make her really stand out.

Thanks for the reply.

------------------
Gunslinger

Old June 24, 1999, 10:46 AM   #8
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Gunslinger
You're just up the road a piece from Bass Pro. Have you checked to see if they have one? They have a generous selection of longarms on site.
Old June 24, 1999, 11:47 PM   #9
Gunslinger

Good thinking fal, I hadn't thought of them. I just want to look at one to see if they have nice case colors. You know......another toy.
I'll check them out thanks.

------------------
Gunslinger