The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 28, 2009, 06:36 PM   #1
2doerdie

Newbie needs advice

I need some advice. I shot my first 9mm 115g JHP today. I fired them through 2 guns, a Ruger P89 and a Kel-Tek p11.
They functioned fine in the P89 but failed to lock the slide on the last round. They were fairly accurate, shooting about 3 inches left of my WWB ammo(WWB fuctions perfect in both guns).
In the P11, I had unreal accuracy, but had 2 fail to fire. The primer strike looked good, and the same rounds fired in the P89 ok.
Where should I go from here? What could cause the FTF (Kel-Tek) and failure to lock the slide (Ruger)?

Bullets= Montana Gold 115gJHP
Brass= Winchester
Primer= CCI 500
Powder= Bullsye 4.6g
Lee Turret Press
Old May 28, 2009, 06:47 PM   #2
comn-cents

Are these your guns or rentals?
Old May 28, 2009, 06:55 PM   #3
2doerdie

My guns, have a few thousand through the Ruger, and a bit over 500 through the Kel-Tek. Never had a problem with either, both are cleaned and lubed thouroughly after each trip to the range.
Old May 29, 2009, 12:48 AM   #4
Randy 1911

Usually when you don't get slide lock, it is because the load is too light. Don't know what else to say except to maybe try a different powder. You should have tried to see if the FTF would fire on the second try in the same gun. I could be that the primer was not seated fully.
Old May 29, 2009, 12:03 PM   #5
comn-cents

I would clean & lightly lube the mags and see if this resolves the slide lock issue.
FTF could just be hard primers in the that brand of ammo or Springs might be getting a bit tired in the gun. Good Luck.
Old May 29, 2009, 04:07 PM   #6
2doerdie

FWIW, I did try the FTF rounds 2 and 3 times in the Kel-Tec....same result. Put them in the Ruger and they went bang first time. There was a good indent in them.
Is it possible to seat the primers to far?
I will raise the powder charge a bit, 5 grains in max load, so I'll kick it up to 4.8 and see what happens. I hate to being the groupings dropped from 12 to 5 inches with these rounds. I hope the bullets are the reason for the increase in accuracy.
Are Winchester primers a bit softer?