The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 15, 2006, 08:38 AM   #1
Homerboy

Sling for 870?

I have an 870 with the +2 magazine extension. I want to put a sling on it, but the traditional way of buying a magazine cap with a swivel stud is out since the extender is added on to the magazine tube. The stocks are synthetic. Other than looping the sling around the magazine tube between the barrel, how can I put a sling on this thing? I'd rather stay away from the cheapo velcro ones.
Old April 15, 2006, 09:45 AM   #2
Ruger4570

I think Brownell's still sells sling attachments for magazines. Good luck
Old April 15, 2006, 12:26 PM   #3

Hb, You can use the barrel clamps that have the sling swivel on the bottom. Here is one from uncle mikes. The stock remington barrel clamp is another option. Do use a bbl clamp though. A few more bbl clamps on sale here.
Old April 15, 2006, 02:11 PM   #4
mgdavis

The Uncle Mike's or OEM clamp are your options for the forward swivel. For the rear swivel you will have to drill into the stock (there is a two inch reinforcement inside the stock) and use a standard wood screw type swivel.
Old April 15, 2006, 02:56 PM   #5
Shawn Dodson

Perhaps a sling mount plate from Wilson Combat (formerly Scattergun Technologies)? I use the side mount on my 870. See http://www.wilsoncombat.com/sa_slings_mounts.asp

I recently replaced the Speedfeed I magazine tube buttstock on my 870 with a Speedfeed III magazine tube, pistol grip buttstock. I was hesitant to drill into my Speedfeed I stock to install a sling swivel (I didn't think the polymer stock, in the area of the magazine tubes, would be able to handle the loads placed on it, and ultimately pull out the swivel from the stock), so I installed an Eagle Industries TAS-4-FX tactical sling, which affixes to the buttstock with velcro straps. See http://www.eagleindustries.com/ProdD...p?PartNoID=351

I use the sling at the range and for training classes. For home defense, I remove the sling altogether because it's just a PITA. I don't need it.
Old April 15, 2006, 03:53 PM   #6
Homerboy

Thanks guys. I think I'll leave it alone for a while anyway. I won't be carrying it, and the sling does get in the way ehrn taking the gun out of the car or closet.
Old April 16, 2006, 12:22 PM   #7
Gewehr98

When you find the proper front sling swivel mount...

Don't go overboard on buying an expensive sling. I simply used the green canvas web sling as found on the M1 Garand and M14 rifles, it's quiet, adjustable, and cheap.

Neural Misfires
Old April 17, 2006, 06:55 PM   #8
jonutarr

seen this? : http://www.gunslingercorral.com/