The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 26, 2010, 06:48 PM   #1
EdInk

Another Mossberg Question

As many of you know by now, I am planning on getting a pump shotgun in the not too distant future. I still like the tacti-cool Saiga12 but the more I look at the Mossbergs the more I like them and think I can live without the Saiga (at least for a bit.)

Anyway, I have it pretty much narrowed down to either a Mossberg 500 or 590 with an 18" or 20" barrel. I will be getting synthetic stocks for certain. They seem VERY similar. The 590 has higher listed capacity (which I really like) and costs a little more.

What are the main differences between the two guns?
Pros and Cons of the aforementioned varying features?
Which barrel would you suggest for mostly fun and a secondary HD role?
What type of sights do you recommend? (No Hi-Viz please)
Pistols grips WITH a stock worth getting or not really?
What kind of chokes do they have?

Thank you for all the help and advice. I appreciate your patience. Shotguns are REALLY a whole different animal than handguns and rifles.
Old May 26, 2010, 07:31 PM   #2
SigP6Carry

The magazine tube in the 590 has a plug on the front you can remove, IIRC. That's it. There are finish differences between the two, depending on the model, but the 590's magazine tube is "clean-able" and "extend-able." The Mossberg is a great gun, I'd prefer a Mossberg pump over a Saiga 12, myself.
Old May 26, 2010, 07:44 PM   #3
J_P_G

Ed,

I have the Mossy 590A1, which was the issue shotgun for the the Marines, I believe.

It comes with factory ghost ring sights, 20" bbl, extended magazine, and even a bayonet lug. The barrel and magazine are parked, the receiver matte finish.

I recently upgraded to wood stocks. The factory black plastic is fine, but I wanted a better look for me. I found a used set of forearm, and buttstock at my local gunshop. I refinished and the look great. Walnut and park look fine to me.

JPG
Old May 26, 2010, 08:32 PM   #4
EdInk

IIRC that's actually the model (but they're all so simliarly to me) I was looking at the most.
Old May 26, 2010, 09:03 PM   #5
EdInk

Actually......these are the ones I'm favoring most. Can anyone tell me the difference.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/46470

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/55293

The picture appear to be the EXACT same gun. But the top one weighs 1/4 lb more and the second has LE (Law Enforcement?) in the title.

I don't understand the point of a heatshield. How quickly does a pump shotgun barrel heat-up? Anyone have the adjustable stock with pistol grip? Like it?
Old May 26, 2010, 09:04 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
If it is going to be an absolutely dedicated HD/tactical/three gun shotgun I recommend the 590.

I wanted to be able to put different barrels in mine to use it as a back up deer/trap/whatever gun, so I chose the 500.
Old May 26, 2010, 10:27 PM   #7
EdInk

It sounds like the 590 is the way to go. Looks like I'll be visiting the toy store in the next couple weeks to look at the different models first hand.
Old May 27, 2010, 02:18 AM   #8
natman

Quote:
Pros and Cons of the aforementioned varying features?
Which barrel would you suggest for mostly fun and a secondary HD role?
What type of sights do you recommend? (No Hi-Viz please)
Pistols grips WITH a stock worth getting or not really?
What kind of chokes do they have?
The 590 has a different barrel attachment that gives an extra shot and can take an extension. It uses a heavier barrel to withstand military use.

The 590 has a metal safety button and metal trigger guard. The 500 uses plastic.

If you want a dual purpose gun get a 500 6 shot combo with an 18.5" and 28" barrel. If you want a dedicated HD gun and can afford it get a 590. For HD on a budget get an 8 shot 500.

An HD gun can benefit from sights, but only needs enough to remind you to put your head on the stock in the proper position. Mossberg's ghost ring sights are excellent. Get a set from the factory, since after market installation requires refinishing the barrel.

I don't see the point of PG stocks. I find that shotguns handle and point better with a conventional stock. A PG stock is worse than useless on a Mossberg because it interferes with access to the safety and slide release.

Most HD shotguns come with a cylinder choke, which is all you need at HD distances.

This is the 590 (51668) I would get for HD if the budget allowed:

A reasonable compromise in the 8 shot 500:

These are regularly available at sporting goods chains like Big 5 at very attractive prices.

Last edited by natman; May 27, 2010 at 05:41 AM.
Old May 27, 2010, 09:06 AM   #9
EdInk

I think I am going to go with the top one. The "speed feed" I can take or leave. If 9 rounds of buckshot doesn't do the trick, I think 17rds of 9mm will fill the gap.
Old May 27, 2010, 09:33 AM   #10
natman

After looking at the Mossberg catalog it appears that the 590A1 is the heavy duty version with the heavy barrel, metal safety and trigger guard. The 590 Special Purpose seems to have the lighter components. The 51668 is a 590A1; the 50688 is a 590 SP.

If you don't care about the speedfeed, take a look at a 51663; it's the 590A1 with ghost rings and a conventional stock.
Old May 27, 2010, 09:17 PM   #11
inSight-NEO

Frankly, I would go with a 590A1 with a front bead sight. The 590A1 is a bit front heavy, given the heavy wall barrel, but it is a tank.

Don't get me wrong; I love GR sights (I have them on my Benelli). But, overall (outside of shooting slugs at good distances), I find the front bead to be much more "user friendly."
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; May 27, 2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:21 PM   #12
p99guy

+1 InSight Neo, I just picked up a 18.5 Parkerized M590A1 with bead sights, synthetic stock(#51411-8)...the basic Navy/Marine Corps model. I can see why they are right in the thick of the fighting...they come up, and track targets alot faster than the 20inch loaded down with ammo in the tube.Its just livelier feeling, points well...and has a very natural(to me) location for the safety that is good for righties and lefties...though when you go to a pistol grip stock, its no longer the best for that as you have to loose your firing grip to switch it on or off.
*I have seen too many 870 users in uniform turn the gun over to look at whether it was on safe because they dont use it enough to remember-
"thumb safe, finger fire"(for a righty)...mossbergs, its forward fire, back safe...
and that seems more natural to alot of folks, people that infreqently use.

This one replaces a aging M500 that I have had since the 1980's(and yes I have owned the oiled walnut 8 shot parkerized/handguard/bayonet lug M500 Pursuader of the late 1970's vintage as well.

the 18.5 is just handier, and the 51411 has sling studs as well..and its just important for a carry shotgun to have a sling, as a rifle....sometimes you need both hands free without sitting the gun down in god knows what.

hard to go wrong with one of the several variants of the M590A1.

the heavier barrel resists denting during rough handling/hand to hand combat...that is the purpose.

Last edited by p99guy; May 27, 2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old June 4, 2010, 04:24 AM   #13
AARguy

Mossberg Choice

Have you looked at the Mossberg 935 SPX? It was selected as the NRA "Shotgun of the Year" in 2009. I bought mine on 8 Nov 2008 (why was that?) and have nothing but praise for it. It's semi-auto with a 7+1 capacity (it comes out of the box with an included tube extender). It also comes from the factory with a built-in Picatinny Rail. I don't believe in putting a flashlight or laser spot (beacon for the bad guys to see) on a weapon and I am dubious about the value of a scope on a shotgun. But I do believe that a red dot sight or whatever you can afford to get as close to a CCO as you can, might give you the extra edge in time and accuracy that can save your life.

It also comes with a Tritium front sight, a tremendous advantage for shooting in the dark (no lost time searching for the front sight post). The rear sight mounts on the Pica Rail and is easy to adjust during zeroing. It can be removed in seconds if you want to use another sight. As an "autoloader" (semi-auto), you still get the psychological advantage of the sound of loading the first shotgun round, if you want, but there is no sound to give your position away before firing follow-on rounds. That can be very valuable in a firefight, especially in the dark. It is "center-bored" and accepts any type of round you want to put in it without worrying about chokes and such. I've used 2 3/4", 3", 3' magnum, rifled slugs, unrifled slugs, SABOT, hybrid rounds, and about anything else you can think of without a single failure. I have also used low recoil rounds successfully, although I keep hearing that these rounds may not always cycle the next round. I urge you to look at the 930 SPX.

I recently bought a Mossberg 500 as a pump backup. I saw two configurations that I liked. One was the "JIC" ("Just In Case") package that includes a standard stock and a pistol grip which can replace it to configure the weapon in the "cruiser" mode. The really neat piece of kit, though, is a cylinder which fits the "cruiser" setup perfectly for storage. It's waterproof, shock proof, and can be locked. It should be noted that this storage case does NOT seem to be available as a separate item from Mossberg, or anyone else for that matter, although I have learned its made in China.

I ended up buying the Mossberg "3-in-1" package, since I got a great deal. I'm keeping it in the "cruiser" mode and have added a UTG Picatinny Rail. The rail, which ran about $20 at a gun show, took about five minutes to install with the included screws and wrench.

Well there's my two cents.

Again, I urge you to look at the Mossberg 936 SPX before deciding.
Old June 4, 2010, 04:25 AM   #14
AARguy

Mossberg Choice

OOPS... 930 SPX not 935
Old June 19, 2010, 02:43 AM   #15
DHart

EdInk.... Here's my disclaimer... this is just my personal opinion, consider it as you will.

Any of the models you're considering are excellent shotguns. The 500 is more versatile for HD and sporting (with additional barrels), whereas the 590 is more dedicated to HD.

I have two Mossbergs, an 18.5" 6-shot Mossberg 500 Persuader and a 20" 9-shot 590 Spl. Purpose. Both are blued and I like them both quite a bit.

This photo gives a size comparison of the guns in stock form: (Coach gun just happens to be in this pic also because I have and love that gun too.)

Just looking at the 500 and the 590 in the picture, it would seem that they wouldn't feel much different, but they sure do to me. See all that mass up front on the 590 as compared to the 500? It makes a very noticible difference in handling the guns!

If I had to choose between the 18.5" 6-shot and the 20" 8-shot 500 or 20" 9-shot 590, I would go with the 18.5" 6-shot 500 because I much prefer the handling of the gun. The 20" with full mag tube, while just 1.5" longer... when combined with the additional mag tube length/weight and extra out-front weight of the additional shells, and the bayonet lug weight, and heat shield weight, feels noticibly much less nimble, swings less well, and the forward weight balance is significant.

So, while I like the idea of 8- or 9-shot capacity, personally, my choice (having both) is for the shorter, lighter, more nimble 18.5" 6-shot 500! The gun just shoulders, swings, and handles so beautifully!!! By comparison, the full dress 20" 590 feels like a boat. But I do like the 590, because hey, it's a Mossberg 500!, but, ya know...

The argument could be made that the extra weight helps soak up recoil which to a degree is true. But I don't find the difference bothersome at all with 00 Buck. As with all things, though, there is always a price to pay for whatever choice you make! It is nice having a nine-shot, and an eight-shot, and a six-shot, and a double. None of them are the "perfect" choice.

Having a number of different shotguns is nice. But for the person who is thinking about perhaps having only one... that's where I'm thinking the 500 probably makes more sense than the 590. If you can have more than one, then, wonderful. Get an 18.5" six-shooter and a 20" nine-shooter and.....and.....

Note that the 590A1 has the thicker (and heavier) barrel vs the 590 SP. Is a thicker barrel needed? I think only if you will be really knocking the gun around and very likely banging the barrel into things. Think "service gun" vs. personal civilian weapon. Personally, I have no need for a thicker/heavier barrel.

This is how I have my Persuader set up now. My preference is for the look and the feel of wood furniture on polished blued guns, but plastic furniture and parked finish is arguably more utilitarian and durable if a gun is to be subjected to a lot of hard, rough use. I'm not so hard on my guns.

How do you want to use your guns? HD only? HD and possibly some sporting use? Toss 'em around and beat the heck out of them or take good care of them?

Another option, of course, would be the 18.5" 590A1 which would give you some of the better handling with some of the 590A1 features.

A metal safety button (Vang is great) is easily put on a 500.

Keep in mind that most of the premier shotgun manufacturers in the world have found that aluminum receivers and polymer trigger guards serve very, very well indeed for the vast majority of users. You can go heavier and beefier if you want to (steel receiver on the 870, steel trigger guard), but you very well may not need to.

As for the heat shield, personally, I have no need for them and removed it from my 590 SP. Barrels get hot with long continuous usage, but it's not difficult to handle the gun in such a way as to not need a heat shield. I'm just not into the look nor the added weight, myself. I wouldn't mind going without the bayonet lug as well. (Can you see why I like the 500 better? )Here's how my 590SP looks without the heat shield and with wood furniture:

Last edited by DHart; June 19, 2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old June 19, 2010, 09:39 AM   #16
Crazy Carl

I've got the 20" "M590A1" (#51663) w/GRS, bayo lug, etc., also restocked with used wood (hate plastic!).

Very happy with, but if I could do it over again, I'd get the 18.5"er (#51517), just for a bit handier gun.

DHart-
Man, you gotta quit puttin' up pics of that Stoeger. I spend too much on guns, as it is, without yer encouragement
Old June 19, 2010, 01:20 PM   #17
EdInk

I posted it on another thread like 3 weeks ago, I went with a Remington 870 because the action feels much smoother. Arguably not as rugged but it will more than withstand any abuse I can dish out.
Old June 19, 2010, 02:40 PM   #18
DHart

Quote:
DHart-
Man, you gotta quit puttin' up pics of that Stoeger. I spend too much on guns, as it is, without yer encouragement
Crazy Carl... you mean this one?

Ok.

Just funnin' ya, friend! Glad ya like the guns!
Old June 20, 2010, 12:01 AM   #19
Crazy Carl

That'd be the one. Love the looks of those coach guns.