The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 6, 2021, 04:13 PM   #1
FoghornLeghorn

H335 powder loads for 5.56?

I’m working up some loads for 5.56 cal. I’ll shoot them in one of three ARs: Daniel Defense; S&W M&P 15 PC; Ruger 556. I typically load light except for semiautos where ejection is an issue.

I’m using Hogdon H335 which I’ve never used before and there’s a significant disparity in load data.

Hogdon data on the powder container (and in their Basic Reloading Manual dated 2006) is 25.3 grains for a 55 grain bullet. Hogdon data on their website is 21.3 grains starting, 22.7 grains max.

The Speer reloading manual (circa 1979) for that same powder is 25.0 grains starting, 27.0 grains max.

This isn’t unusual as I’ve observed the disparity in load recommendations throughout my 40 years of reloading. But it doesn’t hurt to ask.

These are plinking/paper punching loads as I have commercially loaded rounds for hunting and hd.

Speer says start with 25.0 grains. Hogdon’s website says start at 21.3 grains.

Speer says maximum load is 27.0 grains. Hogdon’s website says max load is 22.7 grains.

The powder container flat out gives the load as 25.3 grains.

Even Hogdon’s own references conflict.

Recommendations for a load that will enable the AR to function properly within safe parameters?
Old February 6, 2021, 05:23 PM   #2
shortround60

I use 25 grains with 55gr projectiles and have always been happy with the results.
Old February 6, 2021, 05:26 PM   #3
ms6852

Depending on the type of bullet being used, if it is Nosler, Speer, Hornady, etc, I use the recommended data used by the specific bullet manufacturer. Otherwise if data is not available I use the powder manufacturer data.
Old February 6, 2021, 05:35 PM   #4
jpx2rk

Hogdon data on the powder container (and in their Basic Reloading Manual dated 2006) is 25.3 grains for a 55 grain bullet. Hogdon data on their website is 21.3 grains starting, 22.7 grains max. (copied from OP)

I looked at one of the bottles of H335 I have and the 25.3g is THE MAX LOAD, NOT the starting load. Label says to reduce by 10%.
Old February 6, 2021, 11:23 PM   #5
Metal god

Not sure if this post needs this but ....

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

I’ve worked up loads from 23gr to 26.5gr several times to include CCI 400 & 450 primers and 55gr wolf , Hornady & Winchester FMJ-BT bullets . Win & Wolf seem to like 25.5gr and Hornady likes 25gr . I have found standard primers give me a more consistent ES/SD and all these loads are shot from multiple AR’s from different manufacturers. If I recall 26.5gr got me closest to NATO velocities from a 16” barrel but 25 & 25.5gr respectively had best accuracy. H-335 is my go to AR-15 and AR-10 plinking powder do to its really good metering qualities.

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; February 7, 2021 at 01:29 PM.
Old February 7, 2021, 12:17 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

FoghornLeghorn,

There is no conflict with the Hodgdon data. You are looking at the data for the wrong bullet: a solid copper Barnes or the frangible Sinterfire bullets, both of which are less dense than a conventional copper cup and lead core construction bullet, and therefore take up more powder space in the case and therefore need a smaller charge to prevent going overpressure.

You want to look at the data for the Speer Soft Point: 23 grains to start, 25.3 maximum.

This is an example of the fact bullets of the same weight don't always use the same load data. An assumption of similar density and seating depth and hardness is inherent in matching loads by bullet weight.

I strongly recommend you ignore 1979 data. Since that time, powder burn rates have become more tightly controlled and that old data can have been developed with a slower lot than you can buy now. Additionally, that old data was developed in production guns relying on pressure signs and was not normally measured in a pressure gun. That means it was sometimes developed in relatively loose chambers that lowered pressure or with brass or primers that were thicker than current production and did not show pressure signs at the same pressures as modern ones do. It should be considered obsolete data and a historical curiosity, but not as reliable.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 7, 2021, 02:08 PM   #7
Marco Califo

H335 is the retail cannister version of WC844, sometimes available as surplus/pulldown powder, and is the USGI 5.56 M193 55 gr. powder. The NATO 5.56 M855 uses a 62 gr bullet, and a different powder.
H335 is an excellent powder for 223 through 308 with light bullets. Some people use 25 gr of WC844 as an "any case" 55 gr bullet 223 round. Note that case capacity accross brands and including milspec is minimal. See link for table.
https://www.accurateshooter.com/cart...guides/223rem/
One thing I will add is that H335/WC844 burns comparatively "hot" in terms of barrel temp. If I shoot 25 rounds through a bolt sporter barrel, it gets so hot that I cant touch it. I now have several Heavy Barrel 223 rifles that can better handle the heat.
I tested a range of charge weights with 55 gr bullets, and as near as I could tell, accuracy was equally good in all.

Last edited by Marco Califo; February 8, 2021 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Add test results
Old February 7, 2021, 08:29 PM   #8
603Country

All my bullet weight loads in my 223 rifles are loaded with H335. That and A2230 gave me best accuracy. The bullets range from 40 to 65 grains.
Old February 8, 2021, 04:12 PM   #9
jetinteriorguy

I use H335 for 55 gr FMJBT with Tula SRM primers in a 16” govt profile carbine length barrel with a 1/7 twist. 24.9gr keeps everything in 1-1.5 MOA out to 300yds.