The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 6, 2012, 03:49 PM   #1
dogdays

Horseback & Open/Concealed

I have an XD9 4in Service weapon and am looking for a good holster for the above carry options. Probably would have to be an OWB with a thumb break for retention. Horses sometimes don't want you on their backs. I generally have a weapon on me or close by down here on the border. I hope to use the holster for those times when I have to go into town for shopping. As AZ is an open carry state it is generally not much of a problem, although their would be times when I would have to carry concealed.
Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks
“Then there are the wolves,” the old war veteran said, “and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy.” Do you believe there are wolves out there who will feed on the flock without mercy? You better believe it. There are evil men in this world and they are capable of evil deeds. The moment you forget that or pretend it is not so, you become a sheep. There is no safety in denial.
Old February 6, 2012, 11:37 PM   #2
redneck

I use a slide type holster I made that is patterned after a desantis mini slide, and carry an M&P 9C in it (just a little smaller than your XD I think). It doesn't have a thumb break or anything and I've had no problems with retention, and it has been through some fast trail rides and a couple rodeos breaking colts.
I carry it in about the 4:30 position. This keeps the barrel off my leg and also off the cantle of the saddle. Any farther back tends to have the muzzle hitting the saddle. Having 2 belt slots makes it more stable and keeps it sitting level, especially if you can position it over a belt loop.
If I want to conceal it I usually just go with an untucked button up shirt over a t-shirt, or a jacket.

I have also ridden with the same gun IWB. For this I use another homemade holster, that is similar to a crossbreed supertuck. It works but I don't like it nearly as well as the OWB. If you do go with an IWB make sure it keeps the gun riding high so its not hitting the saddle or your leg when you sit on the horse.

A good heavy belt is also a must. This is helpful for any kind of carry, but especially when youre riding or doing anything thats going to try and bounce the gun around.
Old February 6, 2012, 11:49 PM   #3
kraigwy

On horseback, like everything else I carry my 642 in my pocket. It's easy to get to.

My wife carries a Judge (we live in snake country) in nylon holster with a strap, do to her build she carries it in a cross draw fashion. It works, she's got a couple rattlers right on our road.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 7, 2012, 07:02 AM   #4
rayban

Ever consider cross draw?
In the book Packing Iron.....there's pictures of fellas that spent a lot of time on horseback, and many are shown packing cross draw. Makes sense to me.

Pocket carry would be kinda tuff if you wear chinks or chaps.
Old February 7, 2012, 02:56 PM   #5
dogdays

I want to thank you all for the advice. I believe that I will look into something like a crossdraw holster. As Rayban indicated it sounds like the best of the lot. Maybe there is something along those lines that can be switched from left side to right side depending on the situation you find yourself in.
My wife and I have a small "mom & pop" business where we raise Arabians. Last week we had a Mountain Lion take one of our milk goats from the property while I was at work, hence the reason for being armed at all times when we are out of doors. Just because we might be paranoid a little bit does not mean there is not something out there.

Thanks again from an "old soldier".
“Then there are the wolves,” the old war veteran said, “and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy.” Do you believe there are wolves out there who will feed on the flock without mercy? You better believe it. There are evil men in this world and they are capable of evil deeds. The moment you forget that or pretend it is not so, you become a sheep. There is no safety in denial.
Old February 7, 2012, 03:19 PM   #6
Lee McNelly

MY CHOICE

Go nostalgic w ruger old army 45 ss 7.5 or smith and wesson 44 mag mnt gun 3 or 4 barrel
Old February 9, 2012, 12:59 AM   #7
ClydeFrog

Blackhawk SERPA, Bianchi UM92/M12 system...

For multi use platforms, I'd look at the milspec Bianchi UM92 or M12(US military or GI issue) or the polymer Blackhawk SERPA.
The M12/UM92 comes in different colors/formats; black OD ACU camo 3 color desert etc. You can use a protective flap or thumb break. You can wear the XD pistol on your leg, hip, chest(tanker style) or a regular shoulder holster.
It fits up to a 2.25" wide belt and is lightweight. I've owned a black UM84R since 2006 & used a OD/GI style Bianchi M12 for my duty M9 9mmNATO for 24mo.
The Blackhawk can convert to a hip, leg(SAS style), chest or shoulder rig. It's fast safe and lightweight too.
See www.Safariland.com www.bianchi-intl.com www.Blackhawk.com .