The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 11, 2022, 09:24 PM   #1
Nick_C_S

Federal SP Match Primers.

During the last shortage (2013 to . . . never really fully ended), I picked up some Federal Small Pistol Match Primers (GM100M) out of desperation. I paid about $15 or $20 extra for them, compared to the CCI 500's I normally bought. So they were like $55 or $60 bucks, instead of CCI's $40. Something like that, can't remember for sure.

It turned out to be a good thing, because not long after, I bought a Smith Model 67 (38 Special) that was just for recreational shooting (I'm a revolver guy). I had a mild trigger job done on it and found that about 1 in 100 CCI 500's wouldn't fire - light strike. I could just index the cylinder back and stab it again, and they'd always go off the second stab. Anyway, the Fed Match Primers functioned flawlessly, but were rather expensive.

So I gave Winchesters (WSP) a try, and that fixed the light strikes without the expense of the Federal primers. BUT . . . the Win primers aren't nickel plated (or whatever makes them silver in color) and so they have more friction in my Lee hand primer - making for some slightly tricky priming technique (and more time).

Fast forward to now. I'm out of Winchester primers, but still have about 1300 of the Federals. That's nice, but I much prefer to have more than that (I have lots of loaded ammo, btw). At my LGS, they had these Match Primers and they are still $18 more than the CCI 500's - $124 compared to $106. The difference now is that percentage-wise, they aren't that much more. So I bought another brick.

Here's my point (FINALLY ): These things are a lot easier to buy now that they're only 20% more, rather than 60% more . I believe that current primer prices are the new normal. Maybe things will change and prices will come down a little, but I rather doubt it. So that being the case, I'm just going to go with these Federals from now on. Yes, if the non-match version should make an appearance, I'd get those instead. Unclenick has mentioned on several occasions that the only difference is that the Match primers are made by more experienced workers.
Old November 12, 2022, 01:58 PM   #2
markr6754

Well, these are in stock at my distant LFS for $139.99, so $124 is a better, but still tough to chew on price.
Thankfully, WIN WSP were on the shelf at $71.99, so I bought them...despite having about zero present need for more SPP. Sometimes one need to buy what's available, when it's available, rather than wait for a pricing ideal that may never return. Needless to say, this purchase raised my average cost on WSP.
Old November 13, 2022, 12:05 AM   #3
Sevens

I *think* you just told us that now they cost double but they end up being a lower percent premium for the Gold Medal Match because the basic primer is three times what it used to be. Woof. That's some circular reasoning there!
Old November 13, 2022, 08:58 AM   #4
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Woof. That's some circular reasoning there!
It was.

I thank you for my indulgence.