The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 22, 2015, 11:54 AM   #1
Bowhunter57

Anyone kill a deer with a 44 Mag rifle?

I own a Henry in 44 Mag and have been shopping for a 1895 Marlin CB in 45/70, for deer hunting. However, I've been reading several articles of guy killing their share of deer with the 44 Mag. So, I'm wondering if I should even bother getting the Marlin 45/70.

Having said that, I understand that the 45/70 is going to kill the deer with more authority, but my shots are going to be inside 130 yards...most likely inside 80 yards. I don't think I'm going to have a problem killing a deer with my Henry. Shot placement is everything.

I'd like to hear from those of you, that have killed a deer (or more) with a 44 Mag rifle.
Thank you, Bowhunter57
Old August 22, 2015, 11:59 AM   #2
MarkCO

I have a friend who has killed a few deer with is Ruger .44Mag carbine, all inside 100 yards.

I have shot a handful with .300BO and .357 Magnum and 3 with a Marlin .41 Magnum, again all inside 100 yards.

Not a direct answer to your question, but I hope helpful.
Old August 22, 2015, 12:19 PM   #3
grey.ghost

Rifle, no. Revolver, several.
Old August 22, 2015, 01:03 PM   #4
buck460XVR

40 years ago I killed deer with a Ruger .44 mag semi-auto carbine. Somewhere along the way I lost my mind and sold it to my BIL....it is now his sons'. Since then I have obtained .44 carbines in the Marlin lever and Ruger 77/44 platforms, both of which have killed deer. Under 100 yards, I see do distinct advantage of a 45/70 over .44 mag for deer sized game. After that it's a toss up.
Old August 22, 2015, 08:56 PM   #5
Mobuck

One doe with a Win 94 Trapper. 125 yards complete pass through using PMC 240 TCSP high in the ribcage. Ran 80-100 yards before going down. Not super impressive but adequate.
Old August 22, 2015, 09:49 PM   #6
MJN77

I have never killed a deer with a .44 magnum, but I have killed a dozen or so over the years with the older and weaker .44-40 WCF. Never lost one and never had one run more than a few yards if they ran at all. All within 110 +/-.

This is from last year. Uberti 1873 winchester replica with 24 inch barrel. 200 gr. lead bullet on top of 38 grains of Goes 3F black powder. Ball hit her quartering away in front of the last rib on her right side and came out through her left shoulder. Ran about thirty feet.
Old August 22, 2015, 11:42 PM   #7
kilimanjaro

One deer and one elk. Both dropped like stones. Ammo was commercial Remington flat points, no jacket.

Rifle was the Ruger .44 Mag carbine. Wish I still had it. Very authoritative game rifle. 150 yards is about the most I would push it.

I wouldn't swap yours out for another cartridge given the range you mentioned. Both cartridges are good for brushy terrain.
Old August 24, 2015, 12:58 AM   #8
bamaranger

.44 mag history

My Dad bought a Win '94 in .44mag in the 70's, and killed 10 or so whitetails with it. Dad's eyes had slipped a bit, and at one point ended up putting a Leupold 2x pistol scope in a scout type mount, well forward. That was well before I ever read any Jeff Cooper scout rifle articles. Eventually he ended up with a sidemounted 4x. Dad's load varied, as we had a bit of a hard time finding ammo, all were 240 gr, but different makes and bullet types. He even killed a couple with the old 240 gr W-W factory lead, "luballoy" plated looking SWC. All Dad's shots were under 100 yds.

That experience as an impressionable kid, influenced me buying a SA Ruger .44 mag tube feed, old style carbine, then another, some twenty years later. I now shoot 200 gr slugs from mine, as accuracy from my rifles with heavier bullets is very poor. The early Rugers had a very slow twist rate. Taken a half dozen or so whitetails, all under 100 yds, some as close as 30. At that range, the .44 as I use it kills deer as well as about anything else.

Both my Dad's Winchester, and my Rugers, were a pure joy to carry. Lugging a climbing treestand as I do alot of, the short light Ruger is appreciated. The locations I hunt the .44 take into account its limited effective range. They are not ROW or beanfield/green plot rifles. But in the thick stuff, well back, or in the hills, they are near ideal.

I've sholdered a Henry .44, and they seem a tad heavy....too me. But you will not be handicapping yourself in killing power (on whitetails). The 45-70 is admitably more gun...but on deer, I wonder too if you really need it.
Old August 24, 2015, 07:46 AM   #9
treg

I've killed many with a .44 pistol within the range specified.

No reason a rifle wouldn't do it.

240gr JSP bullets should be the bomb.
Old August 25, 2015, 10:58 AM   #10
CCCLVII

the 44 mag is very capable of deer! You are fine if that is what you want to use.

Last edited by CCCLVII; August 25, 2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old August 25, 2015, 01:05 PM   #11
samsmix

Killed a few with it in a wheel gun. No complaints whatsoever.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old August 25, 2015, 02:43 PM   #12
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I have only harvested one small Buck with it. Still own a long ago discontinued Ruger 44 semi-auto carbine. Don't shoot it much anymore. In fact I haven't laid eyes on it in a couple years. Hmmmm I hope its still here?

Fork antlered as I recall. One easy 75 yard shot made from a tree scaffold into a open hay field. Deer came better than half way across the field and stopped then stood broad side to me. Down for the count that deer was in short order.
A couple things I remember about that rifle. I tried shooting home cast thru it only once and plugged up its gas port that took a whole day for me to figure how clean it out.
Than again I could never get that Ruger to shoot anything accurately other than a jacketed 240 FP or HPs although it was intended by the factory to shoot 265 gr 44 mag FP bullets. Tried 180 gr. Hornadys. I couldn't hit a watermelon 10 ft away with those and its open sights. 200 gr showed some promise but I never followed up in their testing.
Cleaned it-case it-and stuck it in a closet. Then bought a new Rem model 742 ADL (06) carbine as the Ruger's replacement. Still have that one too. 742 shoots good but boy is it loud!! That's another rifle I seldom shot also.
Old August 25, 2015, 09:54 PM   #13
Deja vu

ive killed plenty a mule deer with a 357 magnum carbine. Your 44 should be just fine!

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old August 26, 2015, 01:07 AM   #14
bamaranger

opposite

I'd be curious to know what twist rate the Henry Rifle Co (NJ) put in their .44 mag carbine, anybody know?

Sureshot's experience is the exact opposite of mine. Both my old tube feed models shoot light for caliber 180-200 grain slugs better than anything weighing 240 and up. The old tube feeds were twisted 1-38" as opposed to nearly all revolvers in .44mag twisted 1-18, 1-20 and so on, to include Rugers very own SuperB. When the tube feed models were introduced, I don't think anybody even produced a jacketed bullet for .44 heavier than 240. The Hornady 265 and the Sierra 300 came along about the end of the tube feed production era.

Ruger knew they'd missed the boat, proof being later, newer, yet still now discontinured, mag fed .44 mag '96 lever and mag fed auto were twisted 1-20", and yes indeed, should handle the heavier slugs better.

As a general note, watch out shooting 180 slugs, especially 180 Hornady XTP in .44 carbines. They are intended to expand at much lower velocity, as in .44 spl revolver, and driving them at top speed from a rifle tube will yield dramatic expansion, but not so much penetration. I had one fail to exit a typical whitetail buck, that bounced to life when I grabbed its antler (stupid) and shot again as it regained its feet and stumbled off, distance, about 20 feet, broadside. Absolute havoc, but the slug simple disintergrated, and I found only the jacket against the ribs on the opposite side.

Shot initially just below the spine, I had let the deer lie several minutes, then climbed down to go over to it. It had dropped as though pole axed, and never moved. Good thing I did not lay that handy carbine down.
Old August 26, 2015, 09:25 AM   #15
Snyper

Quote:
Having said that, I understand that the 45/70 is going to kill the deer with more authority, but my shots are going to be inside 130 yards...most likely inside 80 yards.
There's only 1 degree of "dead" and given the parameters you described, the 45/70 has no advantage over a 44 Mag.

Most any bullet at mid to high velocity will easily shoot through a deer, so go with whatever is accurate in your rifle
Old August 31, 2015, 09:07 PM   #16
sw282

Bama...Those early WW 240gr Lubaloys were some of the hottest 44 mag ammo loaded...We clocked some at over 1500fps from an 8 3/8'' barrel...Started shooting IHMSA silhouettes in the late 70s. l decided l would try deer hunting with my silh pistol.SW 29 44mag. My first couple of deer were taken with a 20rd box of 180gr 44mag Super Vels.. First deer l took was a large doe broadside at app 40yds thru both shoulders. Had to throw one of them away because that bullet did so much damage.. Second one taken was a 5point with a broadside double lung one...l was wondering about the velocity of these loads and asked our match director to clock them with his new 0ehler Chronograph.. 5 shot avg was an unbelievable 1803fps... l think l may have killed another out that box... Sadly no more Super Vel to be found because they went out of business shortly after...l kept hunting with my 44 another couple years, but went to 240s because that was the weight l shot silhouettes...
lnside 100yds a 44mag cant be beat for deer
Old September 1, 2015, 12:24 AM   #17
bamaranger

wounding

Those old Lubaloy's had a distinct copper hue to them, and came in a 50 rd box.
Dad hunted them for several seasons. I was just a kid, 10-12 yrs old, but can recall the disinct, clear cut entrance wound they would make on a deer, and the short, heavy blood trails left from those wounds, complete pass throughs of course. By contrast, any deer I have shot with a 180, or 200, has not exited. Destructive, resulting in a very dead deer, but in no way equal in penetration.

Most everybody I know, shoots heavier bullets in the .44, and I do believe that is the correct choice. Elmer Keith thought so too. Were it not for the fact that my carbines just will not group them to my satisfaction, I would shoot heavies as well. As an aside, Dad had a 10-1/2" Ruger Super B, with a scope, that would shoot circles around his Winchester, and my Ruger carbines.

I am still watching for one of the newer, lever or auto Ruger carbines, but they are scarce and pricey. A 265 or 300 from one of them, twisted right, should be interesting.
Old September 13, 2015, 05:43 AM   #18
Jack O'Conner

Years ago, I was stationed in northern California with USAF. Abundant coastal black tail deer could be found near reservoirs throughout the coastal mountains. I hunted with my Marlin 44MAG carbine and kept my shots within 100 yards or so. Never had any problem downing a buck with one shot through the chest organs.

Jack

Old September 13, 2015, 09:08 PM   #19
Zorro

Yes.

Just two things.

#1 SOFT POINTS from a rifle.

#2 It is a close range gun. 150 yards is iffy. An up close gun.

Hollow points made for a handgun break up from the higher velocity.
Old September 13, 2015, 09:11 PM   #20
sandman31774

a friend of mine used a winchester 94ae last year in 44 mag...she killed her first two deer with it....one deer at 100 yards and the other closer. Did the job
Old September 13, 2015, 10:16 PM   #21
Snyper

Quote:
Hollow points made for a handgun break up from the higher velocity.
I haven't seen any evidence of that using XTP's in several weights.

The only one I've ever recovered was a 300 gr at about 1600 fps that got close to 36" of penetration on a buck at around 60 yards
Old September 14, 2015, 01:54 AM   #22
Unlicensed Dremel

No, but I did with a single shot pistol (Lone Eagle / SSP 86) in .357 Maximum with 158 SJ SPs. I was disappointed in the performance - no exit hole meant weak blood trail. By the time I found it the next morning - well, the coyotes ate a lot more of it than I did. Then again, sometimes you can get that kind of weak blood trail from full powered rifles. But this was a little 2.5 year buck and it went a long ways, relative to others (150 yards), so I feel like it's safe to say that performance was definitely "less than ideal".

One year I did hunt with a .44 magnum revolver for a couple of days (Taurus RB 8 3/8ths), but never got a shot.
Old September 15, 2015, 08:33 AM   #23
TimSr

Quote:
I haven't seen any evidence of that using XTP's in several weights.
I have to agree. I think people tend to mistakenly lump all "hollow points" into the one category of the semi-jacketed type of which I saw my own failure many years ago. I've never seen an XTP, the Hornaday real deal, fail on deer. I've never tried semi-jacketed soft points, but I doubt they would hold together as well as an XTP in a heavy bone hit, but certainly better than a semi-jacketed HP.
Old September 15, 2015, 11:50 AM   #24
reynolds357

The .44mag. penetrates deeply enough and is tough enough that with proper bullet choice it will kill deer very handily. It is FAR FAR less tolerant of poor shot placement than is a high energy rifle cartridge. Hit them right and you are good. Miss the vitals a bit, dont expect the shock wave to be big enough to compensate for poor shot placement.
Old September 16, 2015, 06:01 PM   #25
mete

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-bear-try.html

Grandma gets a 220 lb bear with Ruger 44 mag rifle !