The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 13, 2012, 10:12 AM   #1
Jamesmrj

Browning Citori 12 gauge price range

So one of my coworkers has a Citori that he's interested in selling to my dad. I'm trying to figure out a fair price for the both of them.

Based on the serial no. xxxxxPY153 it's a '82 grade 1 hunting model, 12 gauge chambered for 3" shells. I've seen it once at an eat 'n shoot one of our sub contractors held. From my memory, it seemed to be in really good shape, and he told me it's only had three or four boxes of shells through it.

Best I've been able to figure based on my google skills, is somewhere between $700-800. Does that sound about right? I appreciate yall's help.
Old January 13, 2012, 02:40 PM   #2
Rockhanger

$700-$800 is a very fair price for a Citori that is in good condition. IMO
Old January 13, 2012, 02:45 PM   #3
thinkingman

Would a 1982 Citori have choke tubes?
You will get a higher price for a grade 1 with chokes than without.
$700-$800 seems fair.
Old January 13, 2012, 03:19 PM   #4
BigJimP

invector chokes were first introduced in 1983 ...so if its a 1982 model / it probably does not have changeable screw in chokes.

If it does not have screw in chokes...that will affect the value ...depending on what it is choked at. If its choked at IC / Mod ...or Mod / Mod then its a pretty versatile model ...so I'd say about $ 700. If its Full / Full I'd reduce it by at least $ 100 - $ 150 . If its Skeet/Skeet...I'd probably say its value is $ 550 ... so you need to know what its choked for. Those barrels can be fit for screw in chokes ...for $ 150 or so ...by a competent gun smith.

Value always depends on condition ...and on barrel length. If it has 28" barrels ...its ok / if it has 26" barrels ...its back into that $ 600 price range regardless of how its choked in my opinion / because 28" or 30" barrels on a O/U today are more desireable.

In 1982 / 1983 there were only a few models of the Citori line of guns. Today, Browning makes about 26 models of the Citori. The gun you're talkikng about most closely mirrors today's Lightning series in the Citroi...a solid "field stock configuration" gun - but of course all the new models have screw in chokes making them very versatile.
Old January 13, 2012, 05:05 PM   #5
TheKlawMan

Whenever I hear a gun has only had a few boxes throught it I want to barf, especially if the gun is decades old.
Old January 13, 2012, 06:32 PM   #6
BigJimP

A lot of guys bought these older Citori's when they were new ....intending to hunt with them ....maybe went Pheasant hunting a little with them ...and went back to a pump gun or a semi-auto.

I don't think its that uncommon to find some of these older fixed choke Citori's with only a thousand shells or less thru them ( 1,000 shells would be 40 boxes ) ...and there were a lot of "field" shotguns passed down in my family ...even one older Citori ...that guaranteed did not have 1,000 shells thru them.

But I undertand what you mean Klawman ....when it comes to guys that shoot Clays ( like you and I do ) ....1,000 shells is an average month at best...but it is possible that this gun didn't see much usage. People move, or quit hunting all the time / or their hunting buddy get sick ......with some of these old guns....or rifles....or even handguns ( guys buy them / end up just not shooting them too much )...which is kind of sad to me ---and probably to you ...but I hear it more often than you might think.
Old January 13, 2012, 09:24 PM   #7
gunut

I just sold a 94 vintage Citori lightning with box and papers ....only a few hundred rounds through it...bought it new and most of the time just found it a little to heavy to hunt with....let it go 4 $850
Old January 14, 2012, 05:01 PM   #8
jaughtman

About right.....

If it is closer to that $700. Our LGS has a Citori sales a couple times a year for $999 brand new with 5 chokes so I would not go much over $700.

J