The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 2, 2016, 10:27 PM   #26
Cheapshooter

If it's a new gun, and it isn't working, especially seriously not working, it's going back!
If it is used, I might tinker with it some, but if there is a warranty, it's going back if I don't find something obvious.
The OP's problem doesn't seem to be even slightly common with the LCP.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 2, 2016, 11:08 PM   #27
TexasIsHot

@cheapshooter: The gun is new and its failing to eject empty casings, as described in my op. The spent casing is being pulled straight into the jacketing of the next round in the mag. If I pull out the mag, the slide closes like nothing Happened and there's a little ding on the top round in the mag where the empty casing bumped into it.

And yeah based on these replies it sounds like their customer service is top notch which makes me feel a lot better about this.

I'm going to try to test out a new mag this weekend and if that doesn't solve the issue I will just contact them. I had no idea they (or any) firearms company had such great customer service. I think I'm mostly bummed about the fact that when it does shoot, it might be the most fun I've ever had shooting a handgun. Not sure why, I just love it. I have an Ed brown Jeff Cooper edition, two glocks, a Walther and a few others and for some reason I just like shooting this lcp more than any of my other handguns. If I can get this sorted I'm going to pick up another one since this is my wife's.

To answer a previous question , I've tried two kinds of ammo, brass and steel cased (decent brass bought at the range and academy garbage steel ) and both performed the same.

Edit: what other popular guns are similar to this that you guys would recommend ? Now that I'm thinking about it, if there is something similar on the market that is comparable to the lcp id like to purchase something else to add to the collection. Never knew these concealed guns were so fun to shoot, and I had no idea the ruger lcp was so popular. I've been out of the gun market for so long it's all new to me again, which will surely be bad for my bank account.

Last edited by TexasIsHot; August 2, 2016 at 11:28 PM.
Old August 3, 2016, 12:32 AM   #28
DPris
Member Emeritus

Smith M&P Bodyguard, Remington RM380.
Some like the Kel-Tecs.
Denis
Old August 3, 2016, 12:54 AM   #29
mellow_c

TexasIsHot,

I have one. It's always been good to me. Except for two stove pipes I think with cheap practice ammo.

These little guns are super simple. I don't feel like there is much that could really go wrong with them. I think it sounds like a magazine issue.

I'll bet that when you try out a new mag it will end up working just fine. Assuming that happens, contact Ruger afterwards and explain to them what happened, and ask them if they can replace the mag for you. They'll probably just tell you to keep the old one and will send you a new one for free.

If all that happens the way I just described, you might want to try bending the feed lips of the old magazine inward just a VERY little bit to see if that helps improve its function.

Once you guys get it shooting reliably your going to love it even more. Enjoy
Old August 3, 2016, 01:14 AM   #30
Cheapshooter

Try the new mag, and if it solves the problem call Ruger CS. If you fully explain the problem, and you found it to be the mag they might just want it returned rather than the entire gun. Having a spare mag is never a problem.
For other suggestions to add to your "mousegun" collection.
Kel-Tec P3at. The gun that Ruger closely copied with the LCP.
Kel-Tec P32. A slightly lighter, and milder shooting version of the same gun in 32 acp
S&W Bodyguard 380. But has an unnecessary built in laser increasing the price.
Beretta Pico. Very nice, but a little higher priced than the Kel-Tec or Ruger.
Taurus 738 TCP. Another close copy of the Kel-Tec, but Taurus does not have the same reputation as Ruger with quality control, or customer service.
I personally have not had any trouble with the two Taurus guns I have. But others have had other experiences. I still would not be afraid to buy another one.
Speaking of Taurus, another fun little mousegun, and more economical to shoot is the tipup barrel PT22, or in the case of the one I own, the P22Polywhich has a polymer frame.
Old August 3, 2016, 12:27 PM   #31
DPris
Member Emeritus

The S&W Bodyguard .380 shows 6 different versions, only three with lasers, and the base safety-less model at a list price of $379, which you can beat at your local dealer.

I have worked with the LCP (3), the Bodyguard (2), and the Remington (1).
I have not tried the others.
Denis
Old August 3, 2016, 01:31 PM   #32
Cheapshooter

Quote:
The S&W Bodyguard .380 shows 6 different versions, only three with lasers, and the base safety-less model at a list price of $379, which you can beat at your loc
I didn't know thst. I only looked at them out of curiosity when they first came out, and the laser was their big advertising point.
With a very reliable LCP, a Kel-Tec P32, Taurus P22 Poly and Kahr CM 9 I wasn't all that interested in adding another mousegun, or pocket carry pistol.
Old August 3, 2016, 03:15 PM   #33
DPris
Member Emeritus

The three I mentioned have different triggers & slightly different dimensions.

Ruger's the smallest & cheapest, has the fastest trigger, semi-DA pull (partially cocked), no second-strike capability, one mag.
The M&P's in the middle, true DA trigger, second fastest trigger, second strike capability, windage adjustable sights, two mags.
Remington's the biggest, true DA, loooooooong trigger pull, slowest trigger, second strike capability, alloy frame, two mags.

Accuracy is roughly comparable between 'em, varies with ammunition.
Denis
Old August 4, 2016, 03:19 PM   #34
TailGator

Sig P238 is a little pricey, but a gem to shoot.
Old August 7, 2016, 01:32 PM   #35
TexasIsHot

So I bought another magazine and tried it out, same issue. Guess it's going back to Ruger Thanks to everyone for their advice and input. Much appreciated.
Old August 7, 2016, 06:57 PM   #36
lefteye

The LCP requires a firm grip to operate correctly. I suspect (as a result of my experience with my LCP) that new LCP owners tend to grip the LCP less firmly than required to operate the action. After all, it is small and only shoots a .380. I don't mean to criticize LCP owners, but I went through the same learning experience.