The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2010, 11:16 PM   #1
Shane Tuttle
Staff

What the Heck is THIS Brand of Ammo??

I happened to try out some new ammo in my guns this past weekend. Ran across this stuff:

Made in Switzerland. In a red box with GECO as the name. Anyone know the history behind this ammo? It was pretty dang expensive, but shot fairly well. My plans are to use the brass for reloading if it's worth it.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 1, 2010, 11:49 PM   #2
jimkim

Quote:
About Ammunition Headstamp Code: Geco

Internal ID Code: 379
Ammunition Country of Origin

* Germany

About the Ammunition Manufacturer

* Dynamit Nobel A/G, Troisdorf, Germany

References

* Curtis, Lewis E., III, 9mm Parabellum Headstamp and Case Type Guide, GIG Concepts Inc., San Antonio, Texas, 1996-2002; and cartridgecollectors.org
http://www.igman.com/ammunition/code...o-Germany.html

Quote:
From Website:

History

GECO is the abbreviation of Gustav Genschow & Co., subsidiary of the Company, founded 1912, former manufacturer of pistol and revolver cartridges.
Since April 2002, the Swiss ammunition manufacturer RUAG Munition and Dynamit Nobel AmmoTec in Germany have merged their ammunition businesses and now form the RUAG Ammotec company – the new key player in ammunition technology and from January 2005 Gustav Genschow "Nobel" is renamed RUAG Ammotec Austria.

Today RUAG Ammotec Austria GmbH is the distributor for civil ammunition of the RUAG group in Austria and many countries in Eastern Europe and Latin America, as well as representative of many other important brands in Austria, as REMINGTON, RIO, GLOCK, BRNO, NORINCO, DIANA, KAHLES, MEOPTA, OPTOLYTH, GFT-WEGU, LYMAN-PACHMAYR, SICKINGER, BARNETT, etc. For export we can offer also WALTHER, SIG, H&K, CZ, and more to some countries.

RWS RWS is the abbreviation of Rheinisch-Westfälische Sprengstofffabriken which joined Dynamit Nobel in the early thirties of the 20th century.

ROTTWEIL ROTTWEIL is the name of a former production plant in the Black Forest and is today synonymous with quality world-wide ROTTWEIL Shotgun Cartridges.

NORMA Ever since its foundation more than a hundred years ago, NORMA has continuously improved on the performance of its products for hunters and target shooters. Norma is a purveyor of ammunition to His Majesty The King of Sweden. This appointment is based upon merit, of which they can be quite proud.

HIRTENBERGER in the year 2003 RUAG acquires brand and sales rights of HIRTENBERGER civil ammunition products.
http://www.afte.org/ExamResources/ga...co+LT.jpg.html
Old March 2, 2010, 10:07 AM   #3
SL1

Aw shucks,

I thought maybe GEICO was going into the ammunition business, and this was their new brand. I was looking forward to that little green geko lizard with the Aussie accent shooting an AR-15 in some new commercials.

SL1
Old March 2, 2010, 10:24 AM   #4
fourrobert13

I shot a bunch years ago when it was in the blue/black box. Shot real nice and was a little warm. The brass will reload just fine.
Old March 2, 2010, 11:33 AM   #5
a7mmnut

I don't know about now, but I shot many hundreds of Geco rounds through my old 1911 in the early 1980's. I bought them at a gun show for $10 per 50. They came in a bright yellow box, plainly marked "Made in China" on one end:barf:. The primers had a red ring of sealant around them, and that was a long time before the trade agreement was signed.....

-7-
Old March 2, 2010, 07:40 PM   #6
greco

I have shot some GECO in the past. It was described as primo european ammo when I was shooting over there. Yes, it is a little warmer than US ammo. I especially shot lots of it in .380. It came in a black and blue box of 25 rds each. The only chinese ammo in yellow boxes I have ever seen is Norinco. I just bought some GECO recently so they must still make it. I use it for self defense ammo.
Old March 2, 2010, 11:10 PM   #7
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Well, with only shooting a box of 50 that cost $19, I'm hoping at least the brass will provide long life...

Old March 3, 2010, 12:48 AM   #8
armoredman

Sl1, a free box in your caliber when you renew your auto insurance?
Old March 3, 2010, 02:28 AM   #9
B. Lahey

Quote:
I shot many hundreds of Geco rounds through my old 1911 in the early 1980's. I bought them at a gun show for $10 per 50. They came in a bright yellow box, plainly marked "Made in China" on one end
You are thinking of Norinco. GECO is German. There is a big difference.
Old March 3, 2010, 03:29 AM   #10
draggon

All my old Geco ammunition was premium European stuff and was the same as issued in 9mm to elite forces. I don't know about current production but all my old ammunition was Berdan primed.
Old March 3, 2010, 06:31 PM   #11
the_right_reverend

thanks for the info guys ...... had a bunch of that headstamp in some once fired brass i ordered glad to know it is prime stuff
Old March 3, 2010, 10:51 PM   #12
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
You are thinking of Norinco. GECO is German. There is a big difference.
But the box stated "Made in Switzerland"....