The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2010, 06:27 PM   #1
hebyta

Remington Golden Saber 185 gr loads?

Hello all,

I have checked the few books/resources I have, and this website, but have not been able to find any loads specifically for a 185 gr Golden Saber. I have Win 231, Unique, and Bullseye powders.

Any suggested recipes?

The closest thing I have is from the 2000 Alliant powder guide, which states that for a 185 gr HP (no ballistic coefficient or brand given):
6.7 grs Bullseye @ 995 ft/sec
8.2 grs Unique @1030 ft/sec

And the Win 231 Powder guide from 1993 for 185 gr HP (once again no brand listed)
6.2 grs 231 @ 915
6.8 grs 231 @ 990

I was very happy with 7.1 grs of Unique on top of Hornady's 185 gr XTP-load at about 1.225" OAL-tight consistent groups, cycled very well in my Para Ordnance 14-45

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance
Old March 1, 2010, 10:02 PM   #2
FullCry

Check this out....

Go to data.hodgdon.com and several gents on here told me that the JHP loads would be the same for the bullet your using. Any one correct me if I'm wrong. I have some 40 cal. bullets just like that in the mail now. Good luck, FullCry
Old March 2, 2010, 07:45 PM   #3
hebyta

Been there, tried that

The only 185 gr loads I saw were lead SWC variations

Over on TheHighRoad.com, someone posted a reply stating that I can use the same loads for the Remingtons as the Hornady XTPs-anyone have any thoughts? Obviously I'd start a little low and work up, but that sounds dubious to me as well...

Any other suggestions out there?
Old March 2, 2010, 08:27 PM   #4
Mike / Tx

I have loaded many different brands of bullets using a similar bullet weight when I could not find data for the exact bullet.

Being as the GS have the shorter bearing surface you should be fine working up using the data for the XTP's as they have a longer bearing surface which will give higher pressure.

Start off with the starting data and work up. I did find that when I loaded the GS in my 10mm it took about a half grain more powder, to hit the same velocity as the Gold Dots I had been using. Thats about as close a comparison as I can give. THey shot very well however over all the loads I tried.
Old March 3, 2010, 02:47 PM   #5
SAMcNany

I currently run 8.0 gr's of Unique behind the Remington 185 GS and an OAL of 1.260. Good load in my two Springfield's (1911 and Long Slide) with decent groups. The load is a bit stiff, giving about 1050 fps. It will do a number on groundhogs. I've got a reduced load of 7.5 gr's of Unique that is very pleasant to shoot. Titegroup is another great powder, if you've got some to try. Max listed is 5.5 gr's for the 185 gr bullet in the .45 ACP
Old March 3, 2010, 10:30 PM   #6
hebyta

Thanks!

I'll try working up from the low 7s in Unique for now-I'm looking to start with getting used to the load, and then getting a nice practice and defense round developed