The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2010, 10:14 PM   #1
Jbotto

Newbie caliper question

First off, thanks for those, who have been taking the time to help this newbie out. I'm getting ready to buy my press and other reloading supplies. A question came up after seeing the selection of calipers on Midway's website. WHICH ONE?! It looked like many people had bought and used the Frankford Arsenal digital that is on sale this month, other than the battery problem I gleaned from all the customer reviews, seems like it is a prett good unit. Ok guys, so what do you like for a affordable caliper? Thanks in advance!
Old February 28, 2010, 10:21 PM   #2
Red_Eagle

I have had mine since 2005 and I'm still using the original battery.
My Calibers: 22 Hornet, 223 Rem, 22-250, 243 Win, 270 Win, 280 Remington Ackley Improved, 30-30, 308 Win, 30-06, 300 Winchester magnum, 7.62x39mm, 380 Auto, 9mm Parabellum, 38 Special, 357 magnum, 40 S&W, 10mm Auto, 45 GAP, 45 Auto, 12 & 20 Guage
Old February 28, 2010, 10:38 PM   #3
farmerboy

search pawn shops for a good used "starrett". They are precision made and of good quality. I personally like the mechanical one without the battery/non-digital, but that's me. It's one of those things that are a nessity and they have to be accurate and if they're taken care of they'll last forever. Get the low end stuff and alot of times you're asking for problems and frustration and if you ever do decide to sell, with good quality stuff always brings a good price, you probably would'nt even lose a dime. Matter of fact, you'll probably make money Also have fun and wish you best in you reloading journey...
Old February 28, 2010, 10:41 PM   #4
jmorris

I have many (10 or more) sets of calipers from 4” to 4’. Vernier, dial and digital, vernier are the least expensive but hard for some to learn how to use a child can use digital calipers and there are a lot of inexpensive ones out there and dial calipers are easy to learn and require no batteries. I have more dial calipers than the other two types. IMO if you have a digital you should also have another style as a back up for when the battery is dead, as it will happen some day (actually probably a Sunday night after you can’t get a replacement).
Old February 28, 2010, 10:46 PM   #5
LukeA

All of those digital calipers at Midway look suspiciously similar to these $15 Chinese ones, which by most accounts, are not bad. The same calipers for $13 should be ok as long as you expect the thousandths digit to be your error digit, instead of the ten-thousandths digit, the way it would be with better calipers.

I personally am of the opinion that you cannot go wrong with Mitutoyo or Starrett, but you will pay for the privilege. Used on ebay is a pretty decent place to get them if you don't want to buy new.
Old February 28, 2010, 10:49 PM   #6
saands

You would do well to check out the calipers on e-bay. I like the vernier calipers, but only because they are kinda historic and no one ever steals them off my desk

For practical use, the dial and digital are about as easy to use as each other and WAAAAY easier (faster) than the vernier style. Someone already mentioned Starrett ... they are good, but don't pass up a good deal on Mitutoyo or Brown&Sharpe ... they are both also first rate. Normally I favor 6" or 8" models, just because of their versitility, but I recently scoped out e-bay for calipers and noticed quite a few REALLY nice 4" calipers ... I remember thinking that for reloading, they would be perfectly adequate.

Normally I recommend the stuff at Midway, but for measurement tools, I guess I am a little bit of a snob and would go used (VG or EXC condition) versions of higher end stuff.

Saands
Old February 28, 2010, 11:05 PM   #7
johnjohn

I have two calipers both Harbor Freight cheepies. One is digital the other dial I have cross checked both against my Starret mike (0-1) and all three read the same. I have no illusions that they will hold up well forever, but are not expensive to replace.
Old February 28, 2010, 11:06 PM   #8
88KEYS

I still use the plastic RCBS one that I started with 25 years, just be sure it is properly zeroed. This by closing it up and moving the dial so it is at zero, very easy but overlooked. I did also by the Stainless Steel one they sell and like it but, honestly the plastic worked just as well. The one you mention from Franklin is on sale at Midway, be it works great.

No dumd questions, this is the place to ask!
Old February 28, 2010, 11:07 PM   #9
Randy 1911

After working in a machine shop, all of the die makers use mechanical dial calipers. So that is what I use. They say they are more accurate.
Old February 28, 2010, 11:25 PM   #10
Jbotto

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-inch-LCD-Digit...item5d282f47b6

Like this one for the Vernier? or should I look for a dial-type vernier? Thanks for all the help guys! I will have to spend some good time looking through Ebay!
Old February 28, 2010, 11:51 PM   #11
saands

More like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MITUTOYO-505-637...item1c1068dc5a

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-inch-MITUTOYO-...item439da854df

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mitutoyo-Digital...item3caa76e1d1

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brown-Sharpe-599...item4a9edbbe8b

although in the last one, the numbers are smaller than I like ...

saands
Old February 28, 2010, 11:59 PM   #12
Jbotto

Thanks saands! I had some of those in MY WATCHED ITEMS and if they weren't they are now. I found the good ones i think now. Thanks much!
Old March 1, 2010, 12:17 AM   #13
zippy13

I used a vernier for many years until my old eyes could no longer read it. Tried a digital for a while and am now happily with a dial.
Old March 1, 2010, 11:47 AM   #14
brickeyee

If you get a dial make sure it is 0.100 per revolution.

Some of the cheapies are 0.200 per revolution.
Old March 1, 2010, 11:59 AM   #15
Scrapperz

Get a dial caliper and learn how to read it you'll never have problems due to low battery, and weather changes.

I have used this in the harshest environments with very good results as an inspector and jobber.

Old March 1, 2010, 12:45 PM   #16
Scorch

Buy a good set of calipers. The difference between a $15 set and a $25 set is tremendous.
Old March 1, 2010, 02:19 PM   #17
mrawesome22

I'd start off on vernier's. No way to screw up the zero.
Old March 1, 2010, 03:03 PM   #18
gandog56

You can if you work on it hard enough! I know, because I calibrate these things for a living!
Old March 1, 2010, 03:15 PM   #19
mrawesome22

LOL. Should have said "harder to screw up the zero."
Old March 1, 2010, 03:36 PM   #20
HiBC

My personal preference is the Browne +Sharpe,or Tesa.The picture a few posts back is a B+S.

They have a rack and pinion.You have to be reasonably careful not to contaminate it.If you are looking at a used pair.run it slowly through the range and feel for anything that is not smooth.A little catch is bad.Sometimes,it is just a lttle contamination,but if it gets run over,not good.

Zero should be straight up 12 oclock,or there are problems.Hold the calipers so the hand points to your left,note the position.Then point the hand to your right,so gravity pulls the other way.There should be no change

Close them,hold them up to the light,look through the jaws for light gap.Inspect the jaw faces and tips for wear.

Measure a dowel pin or a match bullet in various positions on the jaws.It should read the same.

If you must confess you will give them rough use,a vernier is a good idea.They are slower,but still accurate.

Consider your calipers good for case lengths,Cartridge lengths,etc.If you will measurecase heads for pressure or bullets for size,get a micrometer.

Now,having said all that,you can buy 2 sets of FA calipers for $26.

They will measure accurately enough,and you have a backup.
Old March 2, 2010, 12:06 AM   #21
jimkim

I use the cheap eBay calipers. I can tell no difference between them and the ones at the shop. If you drop them, your not out anything. If you drop your dial calipers(like I did) you can ruin them.