The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 25, 2010, 01:15 PM   #1
Jbotto

Newbie powder scale question?

I have acquired a lyman 500 beam scale in a trade awhile ago and I was wondering if I should sell it and buy something else or keep it and use it? Was considering a Frankford Arsenal digital.... What do you guys think? Thank you in advance for the replies!

-Jbotto
Old February 25, 2010, 01:25 PM   #2
uncyboo

I like my balance beams. I just feel more confident with them. But I'm old........
Old February 25, 2010, 01:27 PM   #3
Jimro

Keep the balance beam scale if you are reloading for precision. I use an Ohaus 505 and absolutely love it. A digital scale is good for fast reloading, but even then you'll want verification weights or a backup scale to check the digital scale from time to time.

Jimro
Old February 25, 2010, 01:29 PM   #4
Dis-1-Shooter

I bought a RCBS reloading kit with a balance beam scale, sold the scale to upgrade to a RCBS digitial scale. Only regret is that I do not have a back up to verify the digitial scale. My advice is to keep the balance beam and pick up a digitial scale. I have no personal experience with Frankford. The only down fall of the digitial scale is that they tend to lose zero sometime, you have to keep double checking weights. Hope this helps.
Old February 25, 2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Jbotto

Ok, I forgot to mention, this is what I plan on developing my first loads with in a few months when I get everything else I need to start reloading.
Old February 25, 2010, 01:58 PM   #6
mrawesome22

I'm pretty sure I've read a lot about Frankford Arsenal scales being junk.
Old February 25, 2010, 04:38 PM   #7
drjavelina

Keep the beam scale...I'm old too, but it works and it is accurate. Don't fix it if it ain't broken.
Old February 25, 2010, 04:57 PM   #8
Hog Buster

Yeah, I'm another old man too. Been loading with beam scales for over 50 years. And yes I also have a digital scale. I use it to weigh bullets, etc. never powder. Digital scales and calipers sometimes give erroneous readings for unexplainable reasons.
Old February 25, 2010, 04:59 PM   #9
TheNatureBoy

I would recommend that anyone new to reloading cut their teeth on a beam scale b4 going digital. Thats just me
Old February 25, 2010, 05:00 PM   #10
Huffmanite

agree on keeping the beam scale. Suggest you check Graf's site for their Smart Reloader SR750 Extreme Powder Package, includes a digital scale and a powder trickler and other items. Has a nominal price.
Old February 25, 2010, 06:07 PM   #11
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Keep beam and get a digital sometime, they both have their +/- but mostly Pluss IMO.

The beam is solid and will last you and your great-grand-kids forever
Old February 25, 2010, 06:12 PM   #12
Edward429451

I'm still loading on the original RCBS 505 scale that I bought eons ago in the early 80's. I have too much trust in it to change. My dad offered to bring me into the 21st century and buy me a digital scale last Christmas...talked him out of it.

Last edited by Edward429451; February 25, 2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old February 25, 2010, 06:22 PM   #13
qcpunk

Ditto Edward, Still using the RCBS 505 from the 80s as well. I love the scale.

To the OP, as others have said, the balance is worth keeping. You may find it useful in the future, particularly if you decide to go digital and need the comfort of rechecking your digital scale. Power goes go, Batteries fail, but Gravity never fails
Old February 25, 2010, 06:34 PM   #14
jaguarxk120

I to am old keep the balance beam scale, I'm using a Redding I bought over 40 years ago and it still works great. Nice thing about it you don't have to change the batterys.
Old February 25, 2010, 06:37 PM   #15
Jbotto

Thanks guys! I kinda figured that the answers you gave were going to be leaning with the beam scale. Is there any way that the scale would be unusable, now granted I'll have to zero it, but anything that is unseen that could really screw up one of these units?
Old February 25, 2010, 06:47 PM   #16
qcpunk

You definately want to check the zero every time you use it. Especially if you have moved it. Some Check Weights are a great idea and are really not expensive.

You should take care to keep the Balance clean. Particularly the pivot posts and the recess in which they sit. As dust or powder accumulates in this area it WILL have an impact and reduce the accuracy. Just simply use a soft, lint free rag (maybe your "clean gun" rag) and just wipe those areas out from time to time.
Old February 25, 2010, 07:52 PM   #17
rdmallory

Keep the beam scale, I bought a MTM digital scale which MTM has kindly replaced for me 3 times already. They don't even want the old one shipped back.

Doug
Old February 25, 2010, 10:02 PM   #18
Sky Master

I've been using a RCBS 510 for over 30yrs, never needed to worry about batteries or an outlet. I also picked up a new Dillon Eliminator and a Redding #2 at an Estate sale.
Old February 25, 2010, 10:09 PM   #19
johnjohn

I have a Lyman beam type scale that I started with. Tried a digital and after sending it back once and it worked about 5 minute and quit again, I put it on the shelf as a reminder of money wasted.
Old February 26, 2010, 02:58 AM   #20
Lost Sheep

Unseen, yep.

Quote:
but anything that is unseen that could really screw up one of these units?
I have heard (I only have a beam scale) that some (SOME) digital scales, particularly the less expensive ones, can be affected by fluorescent lights. The cure is distance. If magnetic fields from fluorescent lights can affect them, I would guess any magnetic field could, from extension cords, to electric motors. Be especially cautious about unseen dangers, like an under-the-counter fluorescent light with your digital scale sitting on the top of the counter, or shining a light on the scale so you can read it well, but who knows what the light source's electronics are doing to that reading?

Test the scale. If it is unreliable, put more distance between the scale and any sources of EM, test it again until you are confident. Better scales have better shielding for their circuits.

Good Luck

Lost Sheep
Old February 27, 2010, 09:24 AM   #21
dwhite

I've still got my RCBS 505 from the early eighties also. It's been perfect all these years. I too hear the digitals are sensitive to air movement to the point of being a pain. I also hear they shut themselves off frequently to save power and re-starting them requires a re-calibration.

Lastly. I can see myself getting ready to load something and finding the battery dead with no spares.

I love my 5-0-5.

All the Best,
D. White
Old February 27, 2010, 09:50 AM   #22
farmerboy

Same here: I only use my RCBS 505 and don't care to use nothing else, I'm use to it and trust it, enough said! Anytime you go with anything digital instead of mechanical you are susseptable to things going wrong /batteries, not accurate, warming up time, electronic problems in general. Balance beam- no problems wouldn't even consider it...
Old February 27, 2010, 04:21 PM   #23
qcpunk

LostSheep is correct. All precision scales should be kept a minimum of 4 feet from any Flourscent lighting. It is correct that Flourscent lighting will affect digital scale read-outs, but it can also affect a balance scale. I believe it still causes deflection in the shot pan at the weighing end of the scale. I believe he's also correct on EM field emited by other light power equipment; motors, extention cords, etc. Any time you have current flowing (particularly in a circle) you will generate an EMF at some level.
Old February 27, 2010, 06:54 PM   #24
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. On a quiet night shift I practiced using my LEE balance beam. I weighed 100 x 55gr .224 projectiles. While going through this process I noticed that the AC unit was causing an error each time it blew in my direction.
Old February 27, 2010, 08:53 PM   #25
qcpunk

Skull, I have had the same issue. I have since relocated my reloading bench to a small room with the AC duct pointed away from the bench and up at the ceiling. Other than that, the room is pretty compact and tends to keep the air currents at bay enough for accurate reloading. Maybe try aiming your AC unit in a similar fashion, and you may be able to get the best of both worlds (accurate loads and stay nice and cool)