The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 2002, 09:23 PM   #1
shu

Lc 77 Match

... is the headstamp on some 308 brass i picked up. This is righteous heavy stuff. Anything to know about it?
- thanks
Old February 18, 2002, 12:39 AM   #2
Archie

If memory serves....

it means "Lake City (19)77".

If the primers are not crimped, it's match ammo brass. It's fuzzy in my head, but I think the match brass was marked "match".

It's GI brass, and pretty good stuff. I just hate de-crimping the primer pockets.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old February 18, 2002, 07:40 AM   #3
shu

Thanks. Have never fondled military brass and would not recognise it to look at it. However the books do warn of crimped primer pockets, and lower powder capacity due to thicker case walls. The primer pockets seemed ordinary enough but I was hesitant to start pushing in a primer where it did not want to fit.
Old February 18, 2002, 08:31 AM   #4
Edward429451

My LC match says LC Match on it.
Old February 19, 2002, 09:56 PM   #5
griz

Most of the military 308 brass is heavier than commercial and therefore you have to cut back on any listed max charge. I used it for match loads where accuracy was more important than velocity so I had no problem with it.
Old February 19, 2002, 11:14 PM   #6
C.R.Sam

Match shouldn't have had crimped primers in em. Meant to be reloaded.

Sam
Old February 19, 2002, 11:44 PM   #7
Edward429451

My brass, headstamped LC 90 Match, was labeled when I bought it, ".308 Military Match-Once Fired-Crimp Removed"

It also has some sort of identifiing mark near the base, looks like a very light cannelure. Not sure whos what designation it is but it sure makes it easy to spot my brass...
Old March 19, 2002, 01:33 PM   #8
Cheapo

Edward:
That rear-case marking is from the ammo originally being M855 Match, loaded with the Sierra 168-gr HPBT match bullet.

That was the finest G.I. 7.62mm match made. Case identification was to allow troops to know that each cartridge was "not for combat use", as the original interpretation of the Hague conventions on small arms projectiles.

Since there is now a recognition that those don't reliably expand at all, despite being HPs, that rule has gone by the wayside. Many other threads have discussed this.

BTW, all true USGI "match" brass will have no crimp. The M118 "Special Ball" was crimped, though it was considered almost "match" by virtue of using the M72/M118 173-gr FMJBT that's good out to 1,000 yards. Special Ball had a bad reputation among match ammos, but I'm not sure how much "worse" it really was compared to M118 Match. Never seen mean radius test barrel results for that stuff.
Old March 19, 2002, 02:00 PM   #9
Bogie

My mid/late 1960's LC match wasn't crimped. I've still got maybe 100 rounds or so. Accuracy was fair - comparable to the Federal match loads. Got better accuracy with use of Noslers instead of the 173 gr. FMJ stuff.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!