The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2002, 07:50 PM   #1
dewey

Leading Problems, .44SPL

Hi All-
I got some S&W .44SPL 4 inchers and have been using 240 gn. SWCs with a Brinell of 15. As these are just a target guns I'm only loading it up to 850-900fps and they've been leading VERY badly after 50 rounds or so. Is the only solution to bump it up to 950-1,000 to get the lead to 'bump-up' and decreae the blow-by ? I'm not sure I want to do that as a couple of the SPLs have collecter value and HECK ! I got mags for that power range.

I get my bullets locally for $25 per 1,000 so you can see I'd like to continue using them.

THANKS ALOT.......dewey

...and He will come again . . . SOON !
Old March 15, 2002, 08:05 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

With your restrictions, I guess my first suggestion is to get a Lewis (or Hoppe's) lead remover if you don't already have one. It makes getting the lead out a little easier.

That is a very good price, so I can see why you would want to continue usng them, however 15 Brinell is pretty soft. See if your supplier can swage them a thousandth more in diameter, like .431, to see if that helps the obduration problem.
Old March 15, 2002, 09:32 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Hi, dewey - - -

The dead-soft factory 246 RNL bullets are only loaded to a bit over 700 fps from a 4" bbl. You might want to cut back a little on your velocity. What kind of powder and charge are you using?

What model revolvers are your .44s?

Best,
Johnny
Old March 15, 2002, 11:25 PM   #4
dewey

HEY Johnny G-

All four are S&Ws going back to the '30s,'48,' 52 and '83. I BETCHA' if I measure the chambers they are way undersized as stated above. I thought shooting lower FPS stuff required SOFT lead so it would bump-up easier and seal gases from 'blow-by'. Harder lead would only make the problem worse, correct ? ? ?
Thanks for the help....dewey___ ____

...and He will come again . . . SOON !
Old March 16, 2002, 12:33 AM   #5
Shoney

Forget the chemicals and try the Lewis Lead Remover! It's around $12-$15 depending on source. With brinel 15 lead, a couple of passes will do it, while your in the process of shooting at the range.

Reference FYI:
http://home.earthlink.net/~murph864/...gottahave.html

Picture:
http://www.deportiro.com.ar/servicios/lewis.jpg

Best wishes, Shoney
Old March 16, 2002, 09:21 PM   #6
C.R.Sam

Lube more important than the bullet material. Maby the price is so low on the slugs cause they skimpin on lube quality.

Sam
Old March 16, 2002, 10:21 PM   #7
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Some good suggestions here - - -

Suggest you might try - - -

5.0 gr. Unique, for 665 fps

3.0 to 4.0 gr Bullseye powder--565 and 689 fps respectively, Latter is the Lyman Reloading Manual 45th Edition accuracy load.

Tested in a 5-1/2" Colt SAA.

With bullets this soft, it should work.

Sounds as if you have some really nifty revolvers!

Best,
Johnny
Old March 18, 2002, 11:20 AM   #8
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

I dunno B15 being "soft." IIRC, Lyman's #2 is right there or at B16.

I'm with the "quality lube" train of thought - that, & slug your barrels & match the bullet size to, or at .001" oversize.

For the hardness & speed, you shouldn't be having a leading problem - if everything else is taken care of.
Old March 21, 2002, 11:27 AM   #9
birdman

dewey, I have had the same problems with cheap cast bullets and it's due to the hard lube that they use. Shoot into something that will let you recover the fired bullet intact and I'll bet most of that hard crayon like lube is still in the lube groove. The solution is find a source for soft lube bullets; cast your own; or do like I do and put the cheap bullets in a ziploc bag squeeze in some Lee liquid alox lube and mix thoroughly(I wear a rubber glove). Then set the aloxed bullets on a cookie sheet covered with waxed paper and let them dry. This has allowed me to shoot these cheap bullets with no leading whatsoever. good luck, birdman
Old March 22, 2002, 07:45 AM   #10
LAH

15 BHN

I wouldn't consider this soft. 18 is pretty much standard. Straight air cooled wheelweights are somewhere between 8 to 12. If the bullet isn't large enough for your throats the only answer is more pressure since you wish not to change bullets.