The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 18, 2002, 04:10 PM   #1
E. BeauBeaux

38 SPl Load Problem

I loaded up some 38 special's 125gr SJHP, using 4.5 grains of Accurate #2 with CCI primer's. Now the problem....unburned powder....I'm shooting these in a 6 1/2 inch Ruger New Model Blackhawk. Where did I go wrong and what to do to correct this?
Your help as always is apppreciated.
Old March 18, 2002, 04:18 PM   #2
Poodleshooter

Flakes of unburned powder? How much? If a great deal, I would be concerned. I'm rather surprised that a fast powder like #2 has unburned flakes Another question: is there a "smear" of powder fouling down one side of the case-wider near the case mouth, narrowing towards the casehead? That might indicate insufficient pressure for combustion. If so, add some crimp. That will add burn time, giving enough heat and pressure for full combustion.
Old March 18, 2002, 04:25 PM   #3
E. BeauBeaux

Poodleshooter, if I had to guess maybe 1 to 2 tenth's of a grain. It's tight so no marks on the brass from fron to back. When I put them back in the box, you could see it in the bottom of the box. Also I had some around the barrel between barrel and cylinder. The crimp I'm using is the recommended data from Lyman's reloading book.
Old March 18, 2002, 04:53 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

4.5 grains is a very light load for AA #2 with that weight of jacketed bullet. In the Speer manual they suggest 5.4 gr. and have DNR as the min as they do for all powders with that weight bullet. In the Accurate manual, they do have 4.3 gr as the start load, but that doesn't mean it is a good load. Poodleshooter's suggestion of a tighter crimp is a good one. You need to raise the pressure one way or another, a tighter crimp or a little more powder or, preferably, both.
Old March 18, 2002, 05:27 PM   #5
E. BeauBeaux

I was just being too cheap I guess. Duh..it never dawned on me to increase the powder weight to solve the problem. Guess I thought it would be more powder wasted. Sometimes you can't see the forest for the tree's. Mal H, thank's for the input. BTW, I was using the Accurate loading data, Lyman is the only one I know of that gives the crimp measurment.
Old March 19, 2002, 11:10 AM   #6
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Curious about Lyman's "crimp measurement."

How did they say to do it & how to measure?

FAIK, crimp is done till it's correct for any particular loading & not something that can actually be measured (short of an optical comparitor).
Old March 19, 2002, 11:15 AM   #7
E. BeauBeaux

In Lyman's book it shows a measurement for the crimp. I checked it with the calipers. I don't remember what the exact number is as I'm at work [ahhh working]. I can look at it tonight and post back.