The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 2, 2010, 09:05 PM   #1
newguy07

are these 44 mag loads safe?

I started loading 44 mags and went lower the some of the data I have found online to get a light load. However now I am reading more about too light of loads being dangerous so I am a little heistant to try these loads. I am shooting a marlin 1894 lever action rifle.

for a 240 grain plated bullet (based on lead data) I am using 5.1-5.3 grains of bullseye

for a 240 grain jacketed bullet I am using 7.1-7.3 grains of bullseye.

So am I safe to try these tomorrow? Any better recommendations with bullseye? Thanks
Old March 2, 2010, 11:17 PM   #2
B.L.E.

Just keep an eye out for a bullet stuck in the barrel when you shoot. If something does not feel right and the target doesn't get hit, check the bore.

A stuck jacketed bullet is a real pain to remove, I know from experience.
Old March 2, 2010, 11:19 PM   #3
Gdawgs

Bullseye typically isn't a very common powder for 44 mag, since it is a very quick burning powder. Bullseye isn't even listed in any of the 44 mag loads in the new Lyman book. It does list if for 44 spec. loads though. I found an old Lyman book I have that lists Bullseye with a 250 gr w gas check. Those data go from 4.0 to 6.0 grains. So I would say your first load would be safe.

However, your second load exceeds anything I have seen. The highest load I have found is 6.0 gr (including the Aliant web site). I would not feel safe shooting those with over 7 grains.

I wouldn't worry about being too light. But too heavy on that second load.

For 44, I would recommend going out and buying a slower burning powder. Unique makes a good all around powder for 44. Lots of other good ones out there as well.

Edit - I missed the part about you shooting these out of a rifle. The data I was listing was for handgun. Regardless, there still aren't many Bullseye loads for 44 mag. The manuals I have don't list any for rifle or T/C Condender/Encore. I still would be a bit leary about that second load.

Last edited by Gdawgs; March 2, 2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old March 3, 2010, 10:02 AM   #4
newguy07

I based the 7.1 loads off of http://www.reloadammo.com/44loads.htm which says 8.9 grains of bullseye with 240 grain jacketed as well as here http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/de...Source=Alliant
which lists bullseye 8.0-8.9 grains

Is this safe data to base this off of?
Old March 3, 2010, 10:49 AM   #5
kraigwy

Why not just get some 44 Spl or 44 Russian brass if you want light loads.

I have manuals that go as low as 3 grns of bullseye for a 240 grn cast bullets (Phil Sharpes "Completer Guide to Handloading"). I wouldn't go that low my self unless you were trying to find a gallery load you can shoot in your basement.

But to give an ideal, I load 5.4 grns of 231 in my 45 LCs. Its a non-listed load but its extremely accurate in my Ruger NV and my wife's judge.

If the the extra 'empty' case bothers you, then cut down the brass or get some 44 russian brass to shoot in your 44 mag. Lyman list a 3.6 grn load of Bullseye for the 44 russian.

I've shot several 44 Russian rounds in my Model 29. They shoot pretty good.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 3, 2010, 10:50 AM   #6
AlaskaMike

Safe is a determination that you have come to through research. Generally this just means to never rely on one or even two sources. You always want to cross check a potential load with a minimum of three sources.

I split my data sources into two types: authoritative and non-authoritative.

The data from Alliant is coming directly from the folks who make Bullseye, so that's authoritative data. Because they make the powder, you can assume that they are the ones most familiar with it's characteristics.

A load that I might give you either in a post like this one, in person at the range, or on my highly regarded reloading website, is non-authoritative. I may be familiar with Bullseye from experience and be extremely knowledgeable about it, or I could just be talking out my hind end, but at the end of the day I'm just a guy who's used it and is trying to pass on my own knowledge.

Most of us put more faith in authoritative data, but non-authoritative data can provide some gems once in awhile. I mentioned earlier that you always want to cross check with a minimum of three other sources. The reason you want to cross check a load from an authoritative source is because the Alliant manual, for example, may have a typo in it. I've found typos in virtually every single published manual I have. However, the chances of the *same* typo being in three or four different manuals is beyond remote.

Regarding your particular Bullseye load, I would choose a different powder. The load itself appears fine to me, but there are a number of things about it that give me the willies. Firstly, you can double charge a case with Bullseye way to easily if you're not paying very close attention, and such a double charge will destroy your gun, possibly harming you in the process. Secondly, light loads using jacketed bullets, especially in rifles are very prone to lodging a bullet in the bore. If that happens and you don't realize it and try to fire another round, at best you'll ring the barrel, and at worst destroy the rifle and put yourself in the hospital. Gdawg's recommendation for Unique is a good one for non-magnum loads. Personally I like 8 to 10 grains of Unique with any 240 grain bullet, but you'll want to cross check that with other data sources.

If you want to do light loads in a carbine, I would strongly recommend using cast bullets (they have much less resistance going down the barrel compared to jacketed), and also look at IMR Trail Boss. It was made for the cowboy action shooters and is a very bulky powder, and if you accidentally double charge a case, powder will spill out making it immediately apparent.

Good luck,
Mike
Old March 3, 2010, 11:26 AM   #7
mrawesome22

Follow the books.
Old March 3, 2010, 11:29 AM   #8
newguy07

So i feel comfortable trying the 6 i loaded up with the lead bullets. Should I try the 7.1 grains in the jacketed bullets or is it too dangerous? Can others look it up in their books to verify? THanks
Old March 3, 2010, 11:31 AM   #9
mrawesome22

I'd pull them if I were you.