The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 7, 2011, 03:21 PM   #1
GaryO7

Favorite electronic scale? Powder Trickler?

I load up only a few at a time, maybe 40 on a cool day. What say you? Thanks...

I did not mean the integrated units. I meant an old fashioned powder trickler and a completely separate electronic reloading scale. Sorry I did not make that clear...

Last edited by GaryO7; August 7, 2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old August 7, 2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Jim243

It depends on how picky you are on your loads, I went with an RCBS ChargeMaster 1500. I load about 50 rifle at a time two or three times a month. Most time is spent on case prep. Mine's run without a problem for 5 years now.

A lot of good choices out there.
Jim
Old August 7, 2011, 03:39 PM   #3
GaryO7

I did not mean the integrated units. I meant an old fashioned powder trickler and a completely separate electronic reloading scale. Sorry I did not make that clear...
Old August 7, 2011, 03:49 PM   #4
wncchester

Those of us loading such small quanties will see no benefit to an electonic scale and there are quite a few draw packs to them.
Old August 7, 2011, 03:52 PM   #5
Jim243

Gary you are going to have to give us more information, what type of powder are you using and as to scale, what weight loads, caliber, use of rounds any information that could help us help you.

Jim
Old August 7, 2011, 04:26 PM   #6
PawPaw

I've got a Lyman Powder trickler I've been using for a decade, along with a Lyman 55 measure and a Hornady scale.

Electronic scales are useful for weighing batches of bullets for uniformity, but I'm not convinced that they're the best for powder tasks.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 7, 2011, 04:31 PM   #7
TXGunNut

PACT BBK electronic scales, RCBS powder trickler, RCBS 5-10 scale, Lee powder scoops......all right next to an RCBS ChargeMaster 1500.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old August 7, 2011, 06:30 PM   #8
UncleLoodis

My gear

I'm using a Dillon D-Terminator electronic scale and a Redding Model #5 powder trickler. The trickler is my second; the first didn't work well. It would bind and felt like something was wrong with it. The vendor swapped it for another one; this one feels fine. it has a heavy base and operates smoothly. I think the problem with the first one was that UPS beat the heck out of it. I have received a lot of packages they've handled; many have been freight damaged. Good luck with your search.
Old August 7, 2011, 08:24 PM   #9
big_genius29

I use a Hornady powder thrower along with a Redding scale and Redding trickler.

I set my thrower to throw under 1-2/10 of a grain and trickle the rest.

My main powder is Varget so I don't try to dial my thrower in to hit dead nuts.
Old August 7, 2011, 08:51 PM   #10
603Country

Lyman 55 powder measure, RCBS trickler, and two scales - an RCBS 1010 and a Pact electronic. Just this year I've started to use the electronic scale more and more. I admit that I hate to have to wait for it to warm up.
Old August 7, 2011, 09:30 PM   #11
Joe the Redneck

I bought an electric scale off of the big internet auction site, it was very cheap. I paid $21 total, including shipping.

Rember, yoo get what you pay for. My scale has a +/- of 2 tenths of a grain (0.2).

Having saad that, it is pretty consistant. But I would never use this for anything near a high end loads. I only do "mild target loads" so I haven't had a problem.

If you can get a proper one, it is worth the extra money.
Old August 7, 2011, 11:33 PM   #12
CPTMurdoc30

I got a BBKII from PACT. It worked great till the Load cell went out. The most important part of the whole darn thing and they don't warranty it at all.

I went back to an RCBS/Ohus/Lyman 1010 beam scale and the lights over the bench don't bother it. When the phone rings it doesn't take 3 minutes to sort it all out.

I like my old tech beam scale.
Old August 9, 2011, 04:50 PM   #13
gregjc9

I have an RCBS 1500 digital scale, that is the catz meow. Plus if you ever do want to go with an integrated unit, you already have half of it. The trickler I believe is a Lymann.

Greg
Old August 9, 2011, 06:55 PM   #14
engineermike

I'm old and gravity is not my friend, but it is what the best scales use. I have a couple of Redding scales and an RCBS 1010. I have a plastic Hornady tickler that came with the kit i bought when I first started and it still works fine. I had an electronic scale but went back to the balance beam scale, they work every time and I can't say that about the electronic. (I know I'm off topic again)
Old August 9, 2011, 08:57 PM   #15
TXGunNut

Dunno if you're off topic or not, Mike. Seems many of us won't let go of our BB scales even after "upgrading" to electronics. Some days I want to load and my electronic scale doesn't. Balance beam scales don't have bad days.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.