The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 24, 2024, 06:28 PM   #1
stagpanther

First shots in 5 months

I've been overseas for the last 5 months in a country where private ownership of firearms is almost completely banned. On the flight back home a few days ago I was mulling over what was the first thing I was going to shoot when I got back--I have a large selection of pretty much anything I desire short of a full auto to choose from. I decided to go for "a classic;" a model 70 in 270 WSM. Mine was made during the Winchester turmoil and was completely made in Portugal. It's never been a great shooter--I've shot other model 70's that were much more accurate--but hey, it's a model 70 and I just had to scratch the itch.

As my luck would have it (usually it goes the other way)--when I pulled up at the range today it was all clear out to 362 yards. I whipped up a few 135 gr matchkings driven by 60.2 grs. of H4350.

Not great, but not bad either, which is what I usually get with this particular rifle.

So what would you choose after a long lay-off from shooting?

Last edited by stagpanther; March 25, 2024 at 06:21 AM.
Old March 24, 2024, 08:07 PM   #2
tangolima

I probably will go for the oldest piece in my meager collection; gew 88, the commission rifle in 8mm Mauser. Most certainly shoots group nowhere close to you M70.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old March 24, 2024, 08:19 PM   #3
stagpanther

Quote:
I probably will go for the oldest piece in my meager collection; gew 88, the commission rifle in 8mm Mauser. Most certainly shoots group nowhere close to you M70.
Yeah--but you'd get extra points for uber-classic. I've got modern space guns that shoot much smaller groups, but I just had a desire to fire something that felt like "history."
Old March 24, 2024, 09:07 PM   #4
tangolima

Thanks. I have several of those, all antique, no FFL needed. Only one was "turked", the rest all original, one from each regional armory.

That or the newest addition to my collection; airacuda max PCP air rifle in .25cal. No FFL either, as it is not a firearm. It is quite a capable clay duck hunter out 110yd.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old March 24, 2024, 09:58 PM   #5
1972RedNeck

Super Redhawk in 454 with some 365 grain hard casts over 24.5 gr of H110. Gets me back in the mood every time.
Old March 25, 2024, 12:37 AM   #6
stagpanther

Quote:
Super Redhawk in 454 with some 365 grain hard casts over 24.5 gr of H110. Gets me back in the mood every time.
I can imagine--I used to have a super blackhawk hunter in 44 mag and one of my preferred loads was 240 gr xtp's using an identical propellant load.
Old March 25, 2024, 05:15 AM   #7
DaleA

I'd probably ease back into it with a .22LR rifle and pistol range trip.
Old March 25, 2024, 06:18 AM   #8
stagpanther

Quote:
I'd probably ease back into it with a .22LR rifle and pistol range trip.
That actually was my first thought; but my 22's are more accurate than I am--so I wanted to use something that just went BANG! to induce a bit of "conditioning" to resist flinch etc.
Old March 25, 2024, 06:50 AM   #9
jetinteriorguy

I’m going to shoot all the guns I bought since the last time I went to the range. It’s been over a year and will be a couple more months before I finally get a chance. Between health issues and some work commitments I just haven’t had time.
Old March 27, 2024, 10:36 AM   #10
Kalm_Traveler

After a break, I reach for my ~1980 Remington 700 BDL in .25-06.

It's familiar, functions perfectly, and (since it was inherited) lets me "shoot with Dad" again.
Old March 27, 2024, 02:15 PM   #11
taylorce1

I really need to scope and shoot my stainless M70 .270 WSM, I purchased last year. I've bought all the things I need to do it, rings, 4.5-14X42 FFII scope, and a box of factory 130 grain Winchester Deer Season XP ammunition. I'm just kind of afraid I'll like it to much.

I'm undecided if I'm going to leave it a .270 WSM, or make it a 6.8 Western. While I know the .270 WSM has been one of the better performing WSM for sales, and I people that love them. I feel the 6.8 Western is a better package overall.

So I'm thinking a 20" Bartline barrel 2b contour, running heavy bullets (160 grain +) at moderate speeds, with my suppressor would make a great do all Western big game rifle.
Old March 27, 2024, 04:27 PM   #12
stagpanther

Quote:
I really need to scope and shoot my stainless M70 .270 WSM, I purchased last year. I've bought all the things I need to do it, rings, 4.5-14X42 FFII scope, and a box of factory 130 grain Winchester Deer Season XP ammunition. I'm just kind of afraid I'll like it to much.

I'm undecided if I'm going to leave it a .270 WSM, or make it a 6.8 Western. While I know the .270 WSM has been one of the better performing WSM for sales, and I people that love them. I feel the 6.8 Western is a better package overall.

So I'm thinking a 20" Bartline barrel 2b contour, running heavy bullets (160 grain +) at moderate speeds, with my suppressor would make a great do all Western big game rifle.
I've shot the 6.8 western and it's a dandy cartridge, especially in "modern" ultralight rifles. Is it a 270 WSM killer? I don't think so; the model 70's chamber and freebore allow seating bullets "way out there" so you can get creative with your handloads.
Quote:
I’m going to shoot all the guns I bought since the last time I went to the range. It’s been over a year and will be a couple more months before I finally get a chance. Between health issues and some work commitments I just haven’t had time.
Hope everything improves and you get some time soon.

Last edited by stagpanther; March 27, 2024 at 05:09 PM.
Old March 27, 2024, 05:06 PM   #13
taylorce1

Yeah, but it's hard to shoot those bullets that require faster than a 10 twist.
Old March 27, 2024, 05:11 PM   #14
stagpanther

Quote:
Yeah, but it's hard to shoot those bullets that require faster than a 10 twist.
Does it bother me that the 270 WSM can't shoot (actually haven't tried it yet) 160 gr bullets and limited to 150 grs. (OK, I know the western can go all the way to 175 grs.)? Uh, no. The western does hold some advantage for really long 270 shots--which I won't be taking anyway--at least not hunting.

Last edited by stagpanther; March 27, 2024 at 05:39 PM.