The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 5, 2011, 11:58 PM   #1
Kayser

Lee Classic Turret : wobbly?

Got my new press all setup today. Discovered what I think has to be a defect? When I run a case through the dies, the entire turret head lifts up a little bit. Particularly noticeable with the sizing die. Maybe 1/4 mm or so.

That can't possibly be by design. How can you achieve any sort of consistency with that sort of tolerance?

Do I have a dud or is this just how the thing is?

I'm....disappointed.
Old August 6, 2011, 12:09 AM   #2
BigPapa4147

That's the way it's designed. It may lift a little, but it lifts the same amount every single time, allowing good consistancy.
Old August 6, 2011, 12:14 AM   #3
Sport45

Yes. If there was no clearance you wouldn't be able to turn the turret.
Old August 6, 2011, 12:22 AM   #4
praetorian97

Don't scare me. My classic turret is still in the mail. Get mine in a few days. Good to know though so I don't worry.
Old August 6, 2011, 12:29 AM   #5
snuffy

Yup, it's supposed to lift. What you DON'T see is the front lifts first, then as the pressure increases, the back lifts to square itself up. And it does so each time the same,(as already said above)!

Whuts a ¼ mm in thousandths?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 6, 2011, 12:33 AM   #6
Kayser

This is the expected tolerance level?

http://www.dobsis.com/MOV00606.MPG
Old August 6, 2011, 12:44 AM   #7
vladan

why don't you load some rounds and compare them for consistency/accuracy before start looking for problems?
I use 3-die turret for pistol rounds that I don't make in such quantities that it would make me to break setup on my dillon. My lee turret have the same play yours does, yet I see no accuracy issues ...
Old August 6, 2011, 12:50 AM   #8
Sport45

I suppose for about a 50% price increase they could have installed a spring loaded bushing or something to hold the turret up, but I'm okay with it as-is.
Old August 6, 2011, 12:53 AM   #9
snuffy

Quote:
This is the expected tolerance level?
YES! If that's too much for your perfectionist mind, then send it back and pay 10X that much for a dillon that moves that much too.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 6, 2011, 01:05 AM   #10
Kayser

Ok, ok, we'll give it a try

A little youtubing turns up this demo video where the press appears to have a similar tolerance level

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-OeB...eature=related
Old August 6, 2011, 05:45 AM   #11
excelerater

I had one as my first press,I also agree the turret moves too much in comparision to what I use now and your OAL move from bullet to bullet more than Id like.....Its a good beginner press but if that turret did not move it could not spin and them black plastic ratchets which stink IMO
will not tolorate much resistance or they snap so the turret needs to be loose
Old August 6, 2011, 06:13 AM   #12
flashhole

You will eventually learn the freedom of movement of the turret works to your advantage to minimize runout on your loaded rounds. The turret is supported 360 degrees so there is no counter leverage opposite the ram required like you would find on other turret presses. It's an excellent design.

I don't take exception to the small plastic flange that works with the indexing rod, a metal one would wear also, but you should raise the ram slightly to change turrets. If I could make one suggestion for improvement it would be to put a recess in the base and make the indexing rod a bit longer to keep it from walking around on top of the base. That would put all the rotational force into moving the turret and the result would be better actuation when you pulled the lever.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old August 6, 2011, 06:35 AM   #13
Wuchak

Mine does the same thing and cranks out consistent ammo.
Old August 6, 2011, 07:22 AM   #14
wingman

Yeah its a little surprising at first but I have two lee presses both do it and have worked many years turning out excellent reloads.
Load slow and few rounds when first starting,don't get over ambitious, set up an led light to check your rounds as you charge powder,stay safe and enjoy the hobby.
Old August 6, 2011, 07:29 AM   #15
mikejonestkd

A recent thread on the topic:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456207

Hope this helps
Old August 6, 2011, 08:03 AM   #16
Wuchak

Wingman is correct. Take it slow. I would add to eliminate all distractions. No tv, radio, dogs around, daydreaming, etc. This is an activity where you need to be mentally "THERE" at all times. I think it's a hobby that is better done alone so there is no distracting conversation. You are working with highly explosive materials and are essentially creating a batch of very carefully crafted mini-bombs. If you screw up you risk injuring or killing yourself and anyone near you. Both when you are making the ammo and when you are using it. Reloading is a hobby unlike any other unless you are into rolling your own fireworks. : ) Stay organized, develop a systematic process for each step that includes built in checks along the way, and then rigidly follow that process. If you get tired or need a break take one. It is a fun hobby and the reward of finding those loads that work perfect in your firearms is greatly satisfying. I would not say that it's a relaxing hobby. It's more meditative where you are focusing intently on a simple repetitive task so your mind is cleared of all the normal noise. All this typing about it has me itching to break out my press.
Old August 6, 2011, 08:34 AM   #17
wncchester

If you want total rigidity get a Redding Ultramag but it won't load any better than your Lee. As mentioned, if the head was a solid piece it wouldn't turn. The lifting you see is meaningless and happens under light pressure, then it STOPS; that stop is the design.
Old August 6, 2011, 12:05 PM   #18
poline

(YES! If that's too much for your perfectionist mind, then send it back and pay 10X that much for a dillon that moves that much too.)

Perhaps, he is trying to be precise and safe. When I first got my classic turrret I, too, was concerned about the way the plate lifted up.
I got use to it and have since come to the conclusion that what I thought was a precise hobbie is not. This reloading hobbie it seems has strict limitations with variables in between.
Old August 6, 2011, 12:16 PM   #19
overkill0084

it's fine, mine probably has more play than yours. As long as it does it the same way every time, there is no problem. I will admit, it is a bit unsettling at first.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old August 6, 2011, 03:31 PM   #20
big_genius29

Mine has the same amount of play. For my handgun loads and my plinking loads for my AR I do not worry about it, but my target and hunting loads do not see the Lee
Old August 6, 2011, 03:43 PM   #21
wingman

Quote:
Mine has the same amount of play. For my handgun loads and my plinking loads for my AR I do not worry about it, but my target and hunting loads do not see the Lee
I load mostly rifle target loads using both a Lyman turret and Lee turret cannot see a difference in accuracy. If I found any I would certainly use the press that gave me the most accuracy however I find case prep,bullet/ powder selection and consistency provide most accuracy.