The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 2, 2001, 09:41 PM   #1
Barn Dog

Gun Bluing - best product for home use?

Am looking to blue a gun at home. I don't feel it is worth having it done by a gunsmith due to cost and have been looking at Tetra and Birchwood Casey products. Has anyone used either of these or any others that you consider good quality and easy to use? Also, what kind of preparation is necessary for the existing finish? No scratches are present other than what I would call streaks in the existing blue finish that will not come out. I just want a nice smooth finish that will look good and last. Thanks for the help. Barn.
Old July 3, 2001, 03:05 AM   #2
Bud Helms

Barn Dog,

For an existing finish, you might try just degeasing and going straight to the cold blueing application. There's a chance the streaks will still show through though. If that happens, try using steel wool as the applicator. You don't have to rub heavy, just spread it around with even pressure. You don't need much either.

Just like the insructions on the Birchwood Casey labels say, get the surface as smooth as you can with steel wool. I go down to 0000 if I'm trying to do shiny new area. In some cases I've even used a Dremel with a buffing wheel and some polishing rouge. Grease and oil free. I use alcohol solvent from Home Depot or Lowe's. $3 for a 1 liter metal can.

I use Oxpho Blue from Brownell's for the actual blueing. Great stuff. You can swab it on with a clean cloth and use Q-tips in those hard-to-reach areas. But I like the steel wool technique. Remember, 0000 or finer. Use it like a cloth, no heavy rubbing pressure, it's being blued also, as it is distributing the blueing solution.

Good luck.
Old July 3, 2001, 06:58 AM   #3
Rottweiler

I use the same method as Sensop except replace the alcohol with acetone
Old July 3, 2001, 08:19 AM   #4
JoeHatley

I've had real good results with Oxpho Blue from www.brownells.com . I like the cream version, rather than the liquid. It's easier to handle.

It doesn't require that you remove the old finish before applying, but the more time you spend cleaning up the gun, the better your results will be.

Good Luck...

Joe
Old July 3, 2001, 05:27 PM   #5
Walt Sherrill

The one I like best -- by far -- is the one that George Stringer recommended on his forum a year or two ago, when I asked that same question: Brownell's Oxpho-Blue. Applied properly its almost indistinguishable from factory bluing -- even the dark, dark bluing you find on some of the older guns.
Old July 3, 2001, 07:09 PM   #6
Barn Dog

Thank you gentlemen. I have a Brownell's catalog and will give the Oxpho Blue a try. Regards and have a great July 4. Barn.
Old July 13, 2005, 06:58 AM   #7
steveb3006

Oxpho Blue instuctions

if you call brownells or go to the website,they will send you complete instructions on how to use the one the only OXPHO BLUE..The stuff works period....
Old July 13, 2005, 08:37 AM   #8
brickeyee

Oxpho blue and a heat gun works even better.