The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 4, 2013, 07:01 PM   #1
1hogfan83

Ever given up on a gun?

I've been shooting my HK P2000SK pretty regularly and I'm afraid it may just not be for me. Has anyone one else ever had this problem with a gun? I had a Glock 27 that I just couldnt shoot. I've read a lot of websites, taken everyone's advice, etc. I have snap caps on the way to dryfire with. I've really not improved that much. I dont know what to do.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old January 4, 2013, 07:02 PM   #2
TunnelRat

What issue exactly?
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 4, 2013, 07:17 PM   #3
1hogfan83

What Issue? I cant shoot very well with it, usually about 6" groups (5 shots) with atleast 1 flyer. Thats at 7-10 yards.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old January 4, 2013, 07:17 PM   #4
BigJimP

Yes, I've rented a number of guns ...that I tried to like ( like most Glocks) ....and I just have not been able to deal with their grip angles or the feel of their triggers..../ I wanted to like them - so I could add a couple of them to my inventory for the grandkids to shoot...but I just can't go down that path.

I have the same issue with Colt double action revolvers...and Colt single action revolvers.....I keep looking at them / and I just don't like the way they fit and feel in my hands ....vs S&W double action revolvers or Freedom Arms single action revolvers ( large frame - I don't like their mid sized frames either )....

We're all different....the grip angle, the controls, how the trigger feels as it breaks, slack, creep - and how it resets ...are all really big things....and affect big time the guns we choose.
Old January 4, 2013, 07:22 PM   #5
ammo.crafter

I give up!

A new Ruger single shoy 1-B in 257 Roberts. I could never get an acceptable 100 yard grouping. Used factory ammo as well as many. many varioius handloads.
Old January 4, 2013, 07:34 PM   #6
customaquatics

well bout everyone can agree the Glock is a gun that you either love or hate there really is no in between.
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old January 4, 2013, 07:35 PM   #7
TunnelRat

Is it LEM or DA/SA?
Old January 4, 2013, 07:52 PM   #8
tahunua001

I've done it with 2 guns before.
first was an AK47, POS from hell, I hated it and I spent well over 1,000 rounds trying to adapt to it, warm up to it or personalize it to make it more comfortable.... just wasn't in the cards so I finally cut my losses and sold it.

the other was an XDM9. I didn't hate that gun. I loved that gun, it felt just like any other XDM I'd ever held, it was comfortable, the trigger was good, I just couldn't shoot it that well, after a few hundred rounds I would shoot it better and others were able to shoot it well so I know it probably had nothing to do with the gun so I finally traded it for a 30-06 and have been kicking myself ever since but I'm not mad... it stayed in the family at least.
Old January 4, 2013, 09:34 PM   #9
RC20

I can't say I ever came across a gun I could not shoot well.

Some I liked better than others but not that (other than handling I never shot a glock so......)

Only one I disliked was my Ruger 44 magnum. Hated the transfer bar as you had to keep pulling back on the trigger to get it to do its thing. I could still shoot it pretty well. The grip was awful for a magnum.

Transfer bar in retrospect may have been a tad off and fixable, but I didn't care for the grip and went on to S&W magnums and liked those really well.

I sold it to a guy who was happy with it, but he did not like to tack drive like I did and for a woods gun which is what he wanted it seemed to be fine for him (we met at the range and did a test shoot before he bought it)
Old January 4, 2013, 10:53 PM   #10
TunnelRat

One thing I've learned is there are so many great guns in the world that if you think something really isn't for you, there's no shame in trying something else.

However I do think it's worth trying to figure out what it was about that gun that you didn't like so that maybe you can avoid a similar situation in the future. You say you can't shoot it well. You also say you had issues with a Glock 27. Maybe you should try a slightly larger gun? Both are rather small. Was the P2sk in 40SW as well? Maybe you should try a 9mm.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:05 PM   #11
1hogfan83

Its in 9mm. I hate to sell it. Its cool as hell, it hasn't had a malfunction, and I know it's probably me. I took my mom out shooting, her first time to shoot a pistol, and she shot better groups than me! I am going to try a few more things before I give up. I had only shot it with the large back strap, gonna try the small. I got some grip tape, and the snap caps should be hear any day. I really hope this works. I probably should have went with the P30 but to late now.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:17 PM   #12
Vireye

Beretta PX4 Storm Compact (9mm), Glock 22 (.40) and a Ruger New Vaquero.

Nothing at all wrong with those firearms...just weren't "me". I generally carry a Glock 21 now. Go figure.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:27 PM   #13
TacticalDefense1911

Get yourself some additional training and improve your skill set. Tighter groups will follow.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:31 PM   #14
solocam72

Remington model 700 in .338 win mag, I handload and can usually make the most finicky gun shoot, might take awhile to get it figured out, but I will. That being said I could do nothing to make that .338 shoot better than 3 or 4" groups at 100 yrds, I have had great luck with rem 700s over the years and own several of them. I gave up on the .338 and sold it
Old January 4, 2013, 11:42 PM   #15
highpower3006

The only gun I have ever hated to shoot was a Ruger Super Blackhawk. I wanted one in the worst way and finally scraped up enough to buy one along with a box of factory 240 grain ammo. Shot a half a box through it and never shot it again. That SBH rolled up so far in my hand that the hammer wound up taking a chunk out of my hand.

I sold it and put the money towards a 4" barreled S&W Model 29. Shot the other half of the box of ammo through it and have never looked back.
Old January 5, 2013, 12:00 AM   #16
Theohazard

You don't need to wait on the snap caps. Dry firing your H&K without them won't hurt it at all.
Old January 5, 2013, 12:50 AM   #17
1hogfan83

Its a DA/SA and I have shot several types premium HP. I've been trying to see whats best for concealed carry and this "situation" is certainly not helping my moral. I've shot about 10 rounds from D/A and that was an absoulte joke. Im just gonna focus on S/A. Some things have kept my spirits up. It has a 3 1/4 barrel and HK's arent known for their delicate triggers.
Old January 5, 2013, 01:03 AM   #18
Rob228

I had a USP .45 that was simply too big for my hands. Sold it, got an SP101 and a bunch of ammo, and some tires for my truck.
Old January 5, 2013, 01:05 AM   #19
jimbob86

Quote:
Ever given up on a gun?
Most of them (handguns, anyway).

Glocks.

DAO Anything.

DA/SA that can't be carried C&L.

Life is too short, and ammunition too expensive, to waste any of it learning to deal with crappy triggers.
Old January 5, 2013, 06:47 AM   #20
Hal

Quote:
Ever given up on a gun?
Probably four or five over the years.
- PPk/s,
- S&W M66 "snubby",
- S&W 617 - 10 shot w/6" barrel
- Ruger Blackhawk in .38.357 mag <--weirdest of the bunch.. *
- Ruger Mark I

Just chalk it up to a mis-match and move on.
It's no reflection on your ability or the gun.

* The Blackhawk .357 is/was the first centerfire revolver I ever owned.
I can't shoot it worth half a squat. No one else has any problem w/it.
Now - get this - I have another Blackhawk in .45 Colt.
I have no problem shooting the gnuts off a gnat @ 25 yards with the .45LC.
Old January 5, 2013, 09:08 AM   #21
tristar viper

I had a P30 w/LEM trigger and I just could not shoot the thing as well as I like to shoot. I pout for days if I have a bad day at the range, and I did plenty of pouting with that gun.
I don't mess around with a gun very long trying to like it, get used to it, personalize it, etc. I shoot maybe 200 rounds and by then I already know. Just got rid of an M&P that I simply did not like nearly as well as my other guns, so I sold it after a month of ownership.
With guns, that's how I roll.
Old January 5, 2013, 09:30 AM   #22
geetarman

I had a Ruger MKIII 22 that was SO bad, I cut it up with a Dremel and threw it away.

I also have an XDM 4.5 that I have had for a couple of years and shot maybe 20 times.

Yesterday I took it to the range and was determined to get familiar with the gun or put it on the market. Turns out it shoots pretty fine. I ran a bunch of ammo through it and had no hiccups at all.

Changed my opinion of the gun a lot.

Carpe Cerveza
Old January 5, 2013, 09:33 AM   #23
euclid

I've purchased and sold every HK I've ever owned. This includes a couple of USPs, an HK 2000 and a 45 Tactical. I just can't get used to the trigger, both da/SA and lem.
Old January 5, 2013, 03:38 PM   #24
tristar viper

Geetarman, you cut it up with a Dremel??? LOL I really hope you felt better then.....
Old January 5, 2013, 04:23 PM   #25
geetarman

Quote:
Geetarman, you cut it up with a Dremel??? LOL I really hope you felt better then.....
Never felt better. I kept the barrel as the serial number is on that. The rest went out with the rest of the trash.

I know many have good luck with them but that was not the story with mine.

It did take a while to get the job done. I would have used explosives if I could have gotten my hands on them.

Hands down it was the most useless excuse for a handgun I have ever had the misfortune to handle.

Carpe Cerveza