The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 9, 2010, 11:51 PM   #1
Lurch37

Extraction Problems with Sig P2022

I have fired approximatley 200-300 rounds thru this pistol and up until now have not had any problems. The pistol was purchased new. The last trip to the range my son and I had on the order of 6 failures to extract/eject while going thru 100 rounds, which as stated previously, has never happened before. In all my shooting I have been using Winchester White Box. The gun was and always is very clean, it happened to me as well as my son, and happened with two different magazines.

In each instance, sans one, once I locked the slide back and dropped the mag, the empty shell casing would simply fall out. In one instance the case did not fall out even with tapping the back of the slide on the table. I resorted to racking the slide , engaging the slide stop, and then releasing the slide using the slide stop which then of course let the slide go into battery and I was able to extract the spent case by pulling back on the slide manually.

Sooo...does anyone have any thoughts? Bad extractor? Something else?
Old March 14, 2010, 04:45 PM   #2
jonsparks

If it worked fine before, I'd say it's not a mechanical issue but
something else. My SP seems to like hot ammo, as I had a stove pipe with the last round in a mag of Monarch brass(which is weak). Try different ammo,
hold it firmly and make sure you are not riding the slide release or
slide with your hands. These are extremely reliable pistols, but I hear
they need a break in more than the average Glock.

Oh yes, WWB is decent plinking ammo, but seems to be inconsistent. The batch that you shot before might have been a little hotter. Just a theory...
Old March 15, 2010, 08:32 AM   #3
N.H. Yankee

Sounds like a fluke with the ammo, but I would make sure the gun is 100% clean and that no debris has gotten into the extractor or other parts.
Old March 15, 2010, 04:02 PM   #4
group17

Mine's been100% reliable but I bought it used so I know its had more than 300 rounds through it. I hate to suggest talking to Sig cause its a 50-50 chance you will get through, spend 2hours waiting, or have them not get back to you by email.
Best of luck! Keep us informed
Old March 15, 2010, 10:32 PM   #5
Lurch37

Well I did get through to Sig finally...tick tock tick tock... and talked to a nice woman about my problems. The moment I told her that I was shooting WWB she said try a hotter and/or heavier ammo. I plan on trying out some of that Tuesday and will report back.

As a side note she did say to keep it clean, (which it always is), and that I need to shoot a few hundred rounds thru it before getting to worried, which is no biggie to me. I can practice my clearing malfunction drills.
Old March 17, 2010, 04:00 PM   #6
jonsparks

Exactly, see my above post.
Old April 4, 2010, 09:18 PM   #7
Lurch37

As an update, I didnt have a chance to shoot the Sig until this weekend and here's my report.

As offered as advice to my extraction problems I was told by Sig to try hotter/heavier ammo. The only ammo I could find that was different than WWB was some Wichester WinClean that had a 147 grain truncated cone bullet. The first 15 shots were fine, but the second 15 had one failure to extract and the third 15 also had one failure to extract. The remaining 5 were fired with a mixture of various hollowpoints that I had bought loose, and all 15 of these fired fine.

I ran out of time to be able to shoot anymore than those 60 rounds, but I do plan on shooting the rest of the loose hollowpoints to see how they function.
Old April 4, 2010, 10:27 PM   #8
Haycreek

Sig

Mine will "short cycle" occasionally with WWB ammo. Go to a hotter ammo and the problem will disappear
Old April 5, 2010, 09:00 AM   #9
gmh1013

My sp likes hotter ammo...try a diff brand...it love fiocchi 9mm 124 gr.
This ammo seems a little hotter than WWB or AE.
Stuff if cheap and all my 9mm love it.
Another cheap hot ammo is WWB NATO stuff
Old April 5, 2010, 02:17 PM   #10
Coltman 77

I agree about the Fiocchi ammo. I've shot it in 9mm, .45 acp and .357 magnum and it seems a bit hotter than WWB, Federal American Eagle, et al.

Hope you get your Sig running correctly, good luck.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old April 5, 2010, 03:14 PM   #11
BigJimP

I don't buy ammo ( I reload ) ...but it sounds to me like its an ammo problem as well.

I would go to another type of ammo with a 124 gr bullet ( RN ) if you can find some ...and stay away from the hollow points. Some of the guys I shoot with have decent luck with CCI or Federal American Eagle vs the Win white box ....
Old April 5, 2010, 07:54 PM   #12
Lurch37

Thanks guys for the advice. The choices around here are pretty limited but I will look around and see if I can find something different.
Old April 30, 2010, 05:29 PM   #13
Lurch37

I just wanted to let all of you who helped with this problem know that things are much better. Over the last few weeks I was able to buy some Fiocchi 115gr FMJ, some RWS 124gr FMJ, and at Cabela's in Kearney I found some Winchester 115gr NATO stuff. I am happy to report that today I went to the range and put 50 rounds of each Brand through the SIG. I had 100% functioning for a total of 150 rounds. Thanks again!