The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 24, 2006, 07:40 AM   #1
litigator02

870 Express choke question/problem

I have the standard in-box choke for my two-month old 870 - a Remington modified. I've noticed that after shooting 75 or 100 rounds at the trap range and then running the barrel snake and brush with bore solvent down the barrel, the choke is loose. Not falling-off loose, but loose enough that I can unscrew it the rest of the way without using the choke tool that came with my gun.

I tighten it up pretty good after I'm done cleaning it...any ideas (a) if this is a problem and (b) how to fix it? Should I not be using RemOil on the choke? Might that make it too easily dislodged?
Old April 24, 2006, 09:26 AM   #2
oletymer

Use a choke grease like Outers. The grease aids in keeping them tight and removing them. I have never had one come loose.
Old April 24, 2006, 03:38 PM   #3
Death from Afar

I think it is a bit of problem with the Remington chokes. The one on my 1100 tends to work lose after fewer than 250 rds. When I was doing some heavy bird shooting- with the choke tool at home- I had to use a shel to tighten it up. NOt recommended.
Old April 24, 2006, 11:00 PM   #4
tBlake08

I frown upon choke tools...lol, but I'm in redneck country. Most people around here use a quarter...And I wouldnt tighten it more than hand tight.

-Clint Eastwood