The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 4, 2017, 08:53 PM   #1
Cerick

2017 Sig P210

I was at the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, PA today and saw a lot of cool stuff. The thing that stood out most to me was the new Sig P210. I've never racked a slide so smooth or pulled a trigger I liked better. It really was amazing. The guy from Sig said it should be launching around May. Any thoughts on this new American made edition?
Old February 4, 2017, 09:54 PM   #2
rock185

Some P210 guys much more knowledgeable than me will likely be along, but I have owned a half dozen or so P210s,some Swiss, some German. Both types just beautifully made, super accurate and reliable guns. I have read whatever I could find about the upcoming American versions. I suspect that it will be a good, accurate and reliable pistol. That being said, there are significant differences between the American and previous versions. The major difference that stands out to me is the different locking system. The slide stop and thumb safety are also noticeably different. I still have two of the German guns and doubt I'm a customer for the American versions. Looking forward to actually handling the American versions
though.

PS, Forgot to mention that the American version is supposed to sell at a significantly lower price than the previous versions. I would not be surprised if more American versions are eventually sold than the total for all previous Swiss and German models combined. This, due to lower price and regular, reliable availability, parts and service.

Last edited by rock185; February 5, 2017 at 03:22 AM.
Old February 4, 2017, 10:00 PM   #3
sigarms228

Cool! I want to check one of them out. My LGS has a factory shoot in March and I hope SIG brings one along.

From what I have been reading there is some controversy around the "new" American made P210 and I can understand that. I personally think maybe they should have called it the P210-A to distinguish as a new/different model from the original P210. That is drawing ire from many SIG P210 aficionados.

However I have not heard of a single person owning one yet let alone shooting one yet so the jury is still out and it will be a while after that to see how the "new" P210 lives up to the originals supreme record of accuracy, reliability, and durability.

I read on another forum that SIG is now saying this is going to be a $1700 - $1800 pistol when originally the word was they would be much less. Did you hear anything on the expected street price?
Old February 4, 2017, 10:55 PM   #4
Cerick

The Sig rep told me that it should retail for around $1600. I have no other experience with P210s other than handling the new one today.
Old February 4, 2017, 11:25 PM   #5
bac1023

After cheapening the design, manufacturing processes, and parts quality, I'm surprised they still call it a P210.

I guess the slide and frame are cast like the rest of the Exeter stuff?

Best to spend a bit more and get the real thing before the Swiss models get totally out of reach.
Old February 5, 2017, 10:36 AM   #6
rt11002003

I liked my Swiss p210, but was not thrilled with it. Much preferred my X-5 L1 and X-6 L1 for everyday shooting. And actually preferred my X-5 Competition to the p210.

That said, I'm still awaiting the introduction of an American made version. If priced right, it might be attractive. Especially as a carry gun.
Old February 5, 2017, 11:17 AM   #7
sigarms228

Quote:
The Sig rep told me that it should retail for around $1600. I have no other experience with P210s other than handling the new one today.
Thanks for the info. I am actually glad that they are quoting a higher price than what they did earlier as in hoping they don't make price point the major consideration.
Old February 5, 2017, 01:21 PM   #8
Model12Win

Another reintroduced gun where they just HAD to mess with the design. I am not impressed.
Old February 5, 2017, 07:35 PM   #9
rodfac

Quote:
After cheapening the design, manufacturing processes, and parts quality, I'm surprised they still call it a P210. I guess the slide and frame are cast like the rest of the Exeter stuff?
Care to explain that? I'd be interested in the particulars. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 6, 2017, 12:23 AM   #10
Metric

Quote:
After cheapening the design, manufacturing processes, and parts quality, I'm surprised they still call it a P210.
I think the full name is technically the "Sig-Sauer P210-Tactical-Legend-Pro".
Old February 8, 2017, 04:24 PM   #11
rock185

That Tactical-Legend-Pro sounds pretty neat, but I'm holdin' out for the P210-Tactical-Rainbow-Emperor-Scorpion-Legion-Carry, with optional skull crusher and decoder ring
Old February 8, 2017, 07:05 PM   #12
Metric

Quote:
That Tactical-Legend-Pro sounds pretty neat, but I'm holdin' out for the P210-Tactical-Rainbow-Emperor-Scorpion-Legion-Carry, with optional skull crusher and decoder ring
That's the upcoming version from the Taiwanese factory they're planning to move production to.
Old February 8, 2017, 08:54 PM   #13
stephen426

I was able to find an article that has a little more info. I'm not sure about the accuracy of the information contained in the article, but the price they show is $1200 for the standard and $1350 for the target. Unless this is very well made, I think it is a terrible mistake that will dilute the reputation of this great pistol.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...10-in-america/

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...r-p210-pistol/
Old February 8, 2017, 09:50 PM   #14
sigarms228

Yes $1200 was what the word was the American P210 would go for a year ago at Shot 2016. Now at Shot 2017 they are saying $1600. SIG should be able to make a pretty nice pistol for $1600 with their state of the art manufacturing facility. Time will tell and hopefully I will get to see one next month at LGS factory shoot.
Old February 8, 2017, 10:54 PM   #15
Metric

Thanks for the links, I didn't know any details. Yeah, a completely different locking design = a different pistol, in my opinion. Non-compatible slide, non-compatible barrel, and probably a non-compatible frame.

Okay, I have an open mind -- it could turn out to be a great pistol for the money and I may even be interested in buying one, but calling it a P-210 is disingenuous in the worst way, and seriously lowers the appeal. If it's an excellent pistol that I'm willing to shell out serious cash for, the design needs to stand on its own with some dignity. Call it a P-212 or something that indicates the company views it with some confidence.
Old February 8, 2017, 11:29 PM   #16
bac1023

Yes, I think it's in very poor taste to call it a P210.

Sig of Switzerland and Sig Sauer of Germany had class. I never felt that way about this company over here at all.
Old February 9, 2017, 08:17 AM   #17
Tom Servo
Staff

I'm going to reserve judgment until I handle one. I have one of the 2011 Legend models, and I'm happy with the few changes (magazine and safety) they made.

I don't like the squared-off trigger guard on the new one, but I am intrigued by the position of the safety. I'd like the chance to disassemble one to see how much it changes the lockwork, though.

Something to remember when we gripe about changing a gun deemed to be classic (and I'm guilty, too): this was originally designed to be a combat pistol...
Old February 9, 2017, 09:53 AM   #18
Willie D

Reminds me of the first US made 55x models that were nothing like the originals and everyone hated.
Old February 9, 2017, 07:17 PM   #19
FairWarning

Personally, I'd prefer to keep some traditions sacred. Like certain models still being made in Germany or Switzerland.