The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 5, 2005, 09:57 PM   #1
utaherrn

Savage/Stevens 311H action question

I recently aquired this shotgun used. I was informed on another thread that if the top snap (is this the correct term for the lever that opens the action?) is all the way to the left with the action closed, there is serious wear and the gun needs work.
However, it seems that the action is more solidly locked up with the top snap farther to the left than center. The tip of the top snap is claw shaped and with it all the way to the left with the action closed, there is more metal-to-metal locking it up.
Is this a problem for moderate use, an indication of serious wear, a real problem, or what?

Don't know if I can shoot the piece as is, or do I need to get me hence to a gunsmith. The gun is in great shape internally, just had some sear to the thin varnish on the wood and surface rust. Evidently shot little and stored damp for a while.

Any advice?
Thanks.
Old October 6, 2005, 01:24 AM   #2
SamD

Generally speaking, they come new a bit right of center, and as they wear get closer to center. When worn they are way left.

Just because it is to the left of center does not mean it is unsafe. It is generally an indicator that you have some wear.

With the barrels closed and the forend removed, twist, pull, push down and up and side to side. Oberve teh joint between the breech face and the barrels and the water table and the bottom of the barrels. If there is visible movement, take it to your smith and see if he can tighten it up for you.
Could be as simple as replacing the latch, could be cheaper to get a new gun.
No way to tell over the net.

If there is no movementI would take it out and shoot it.

Sam
Old October 6, 2005, 02:02 AM   #3
utaherrn

thanks, I'll check that out.