The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 16, 2009, 07:54 AM   #26
CaptainCrossman

OP- go out and buy a Ruger Old Army. When you pick it up, look at it, and cock it ONE TIME, you'll want to sell all those Italian pistols- and buy a 2nd Ruger.

The quality gap is vast, Ruger to Italian replica. The Italian replicas are neat, they have their place, but they are a cheap gun compared to a Ruger.
Old May 16, 2009, 08:16 AM   #27
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Quote:
I had thought we generally agreed that Piettas being junk was a misconception
I have several Piettas and several Ubertis and don't consider any of them junk, I think for the money thier a real bargain, but I think the quality does vary from revolver to revolver and some less then perfect specimens do hit the market. I tend to like the Ubertis a bit more but that is just a personal preference.
+1
Every manufacture has some bad revolvers on the market. It seems to be the luck of the draw on what you well get. The general consensus is Uberti is a little better than Pietta, that has not been my personal experience.
Old May 16, 2009, 08:28 AM   #28
olmontanaboy

Quote:
The general consensus is Uberti is a little better than Pietta, that has not been my personal experience.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that Uberti is better than Pietta. I like the Uberti a little better because of the way they stamp the barrels.
Old May 16, 2009, 08:38 AM   #29
Chris_B

I'd get another Pietta. But I'm saving my money for a Colt
Old May 16, 2009, 01:11 PM   #30
CaptainCrossman

the Piettas seem to have a dry, harsh, rough action in the hammer/lock, not as smooth as Ubertis.

the imports are not a bad gun if viewed as a "gun kit" that you take apart, fix, and customize/build

problem is, they don't sell at kit prices. The guns should be around $100 if you have to rework them like that

not $250-$300
Old May 16, 2009, 03:08 PM   #31
Chris_B

Hmm. I've said it before, and I will say it again-

I am the luckiest SOB that ever bought a gun. My P22 is 1200 rounds with zero failures to feed, two failures to extract, and two bent rounds, my Auto-Ordnance 1911A1 is nearly flawless in over 1,000 rounds, I can hit what I aim at with my 89 year old Colt M1903, and my c&b Pietta Colt repro (from the late '80s!) is great, never been apart and works like a dream. Everyone else seems to have trouble with those guns though

It's a product of my clean living and a humble god-fearing attitude, I tells ya!
Old May 16, 2009, 08:13 PM   #32
mykeal

Quote:
I had thought we generally agreed that Piettas being junk was a misconception
One incident should not influence that conclusion one way or the other. Making the judgment that the characterization of Piettas as not being junk was wrong on the basis of one report is making a very unwarranted generalization. You need to back off a bit and consider the broader picture.
Old May 22, 2009, 04:20 AM   #33
Blankwaffe

I don't want to step on anybodys toes nor attempt to fracture the brand loyalty,but Ive personally had extremely bad luck with the Pietta 1860 Colts.Put alot of effort and extra money in the process of trying to own one too.
Yall might remember my first one that I cried,kicked and screamed about.It was a 2007 production per the date code and under the Traditions label.It had a loose arbor in the frame right out of the box,poorly timed to say the least,the barrel fit so tightly on the arbor it had to be driven apart.Made the huge mistake and sent it back to Traditions and they attempted to repair it rather than replace it.Make note that I said attempted.
Since that one I have made an attempt three different times in buying a Pietta 1860 Colt...all were 2008 manufacture.All had serious fit and function issues.
Now being that the revolers were from two different retailers and two different years of manufacture,I came to the conclusion it was not just bad luck on my part.To be honest the overall experience almost turned me away from wanting another cap-n-ball revolver.
I finally gave up on mail ordering a Pietta Colt after about two months of back and forth,and went to the local gunshop to eye ball in person.Ended up going home with a Uberti 1860 Army.
Now,I have a Uberti Walker,Whitneyville Dragoon and a 1860 Colt Army.All of which were perfect right out of the box and only needed some bolt and trigger spring adjustment.I may have gotten lucky with the Uberti's...but I'll take it.
Do I think Uberti is perfect?No,absolutely not.Ive seen a couple with minor issues as well.But I do think Uberti has much better quality control and materials overall.IMHO the steel Pietta uses in the Colt replica barrels and cylinders is fairly soft especially when compared to what is used by Uberti.
I can say without a doubt that my Pietta 1858 Rems were outstanding in everyway right out of the box,and continue to be.Can't say enough about Pietta in regards to the Remington replicas.I don't know how they can build the 1858 Remingtons so well and make such a mess out of some of the Colts,but that seems to be the case in my experience.
Again,I do not intend to offend anyone of flame anyone else with my opinion and personal experience.I own both Pietta and Uberti replicas and Im very fond of them all.But I do think Pietta can and should do much better with their Colt replicas...they owe it to their customers to pay a bit more attention to what they are turning out for sale and improve in that regard..
But thats my opinion.

Last edited by Blankwaffe; May 22, 2009 at 04:41 AM. Reason: too long
Old May 22, 2009, 05:23 AM   #34
Dingoboyx

I'm with you Chris

I must be lucky SOB #2

I have had a great run with guns Mostly the ones the 'horror stories' are about.

I have a P22..... no issues
2x Pietta 1858's...... no issues
1x Euroarms of America 1858..... previous owner bastardised it, so issues, but not with manufacturer.
1x Uberti Colt Dragoon..... no issues
2x Stainless steel ROA's...... Absolutely no issues

I think Pietta & Uberti are on par, from what I have heard.... if you get a good one, it will be great (up to standard) If you get a lemon.... well, you got a lemon, if you buy it from a reputable dealer, take it back, that's what guarantee's are for. If I were buying another Pietta or Uberti, after hearing these horror stories, I would just be inspecting it thuroughly at the place of purchase before parting with the cash, rather than get one sent in the post or whatever, just to be sure there is nothing obviously wrong with it, then test it & if issues are found with its shooting, take it back again
Old May 22, 2009, 09:15 AM   #35
Andy Griffith

Well, my first C&B revolver was a Pietta .44 brass frame that was given to me about 35 years ago. I still have it, but it's looser than...well, let's just say that too many full-loads went through it before I knew any better. I still have it and it's shootable- never had any problems out of it at all that weren't user inflicted.

I now have a good collection of C&B revolvers, the majority of which are Pietta manufacture and have never had any problems out of them other than losing parts I drop on the floor.

I hope to get some pictures this weekend of them all being out on the range.

I can certainly understand the frustration of buying a product and it not behaving the way it was intended.
Old May 22, 2009, 03:00 PM   #36
long rider

HEY DINGO how you doing sport,
to say you live down under you got a butt load
of guns i thought you guys were
under a gun control.
Old May 23, 2009, 06:22 AM   #37
Dingoboyx

Hey LR

Yup, down under

Yup, butt load of guns..... Our rules are strict, you have to have a purpose for guns (especially HG's) and SD or HD are not legitimate purposes. I shoot in 4 clubs (2 x Black powder clubs, CAS & with the local police (protective services pistol club).... so I have lots of purposes (for lots of HG's)

Read the thread below I posted a while back, it will fill you in, it is a long read but will answer most of your questions

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...uns+down+under
Old May 23, 2009, 01:05 PM   #38
Riot Earp

I don't get it.

For years I've been reading on various boards that "Pietta is now right up there with Uberti," "Pietta has gotten their act together," "Piettas are the best bang for the buck," etc.

Every one that I've handled/purchased has had obvious problems, sometimes multiple obvious problems.

Maybe I've had a long stroke of bad luck. But as time goes on, and I see more and more bad ones, I think this less and less.
Old May 23, 2009, 04:08 PM   #39
long rider

WELL some folks said that asm was trash? but i
have one a 58 its now 15 years old and still going
strong, so what the heck. i think we all agree that
there are lemons out there, and some guys get the
lemon now and again
Old May 23, 2009, 04:56 PM   #40
Hawg

Quote:
I don't get it.

For years I've been reading on various boards that "Pietta is now right up there with Uberti," "Pietta has gotten their act together," "Piettas are the best bang for the buck," etc.

Every one that I've handled/purchased has had obvious problems, sometimes multiple obvious problems.

Maybe I've had a long stroke of bad luck. But as time goes on, and I see more and more bad ones, I think this less and less.
I've had two new ones and one used one and no problems with any of them.
Old May 23, 2009, 08:00 PM   #41
ClemBert

Went over to my buddy's house today to directly compare my new Uberti 1858 Remmie from Buffalo Arms against his Pietta 1858 Remmie from Cabelas. Both revolvers were bought new in the last month or so.

It was pretty clear doing a side-by-side comparison of the two that the Uberti was superior in finish. The metal finish is much finer and nicer on the Uberti. The grip finish is also superior on the Uberti. The fit of the cylinder and relationship of the cylinder to the forcing cone shows the Uberti to have much tighter tolerances. In addition, the Uberti cylinder free spins like glass whereas the Pietta is almost sticky even though my buddy cleaned it and lubricated the cylinder pin. Also, on the Pietta, the hammer is peening the nipples whereas on the Uberti the hammer stops short of that happening.

Of course I paid $277 for mine and he got his on sale for $189. For the difference in price it is understandable why the Uberti is superior. After all, the Uberti is 46% more in price. Honestly, I don't mind paying the extra $88 in light of the difference between the two. Afterall, I expect to have this as a shooter for the rest of my life.

I can not comment on how the two compare as shooters. My buddy hasn't shot his yet. As for mine, it shoots very accurate. In the end I would say that it does not appear that he has a problem with his Pietta. Rather, the Pietta isn't made to the same quality IMHO. Lastly, we don't know what differences there may be in the metallurgy. Perhaps they are identical in this area.
Old May 23, 2009, 08:04 PM   #42
RRR

My kit 36 Navy is tite shoots good.
Old May 23, 2009, 11:49 PM   #43
Ricklin

Pietta

Count me amongst the defective Pietta crowd. Traditions did replace the 1858 Remmie, but it was a hassle, multiple phone calls, etc.

The repl. pistol is great however.
Old May 24, 2009, 08:36 AM   #44
Hawg

Quote:
go out and buy a Ruger Old Army. When you pick it up, look at it, and cock it ONE TIME, you'll want to sell all those Italian pistols- and buy a 2nd Ruger.
Nah. I've had Rugers and they, especially the old army don't do anything for me. You couldn't give me a Ruger...............Well, you could but I'd sell it.
Old May 24, 2009, 09:14 AM   #45
crstrode

Hawg Wrote:
Quote:
Nah. I've had Rugers and they, especially the old army don't do anything for me. You couldn't give me a Ruger...............Well, you could but I'd sell it.
Yup -same here. A few months ago I was surfing Gunbroker. Saw a Ruger ROA offered for a low buy it now price.

Bought it.

Yes indeed - it was a very nice gun. The quality, craftsmanship , and value were obvious.

It was superior to all of my "replica" revolvers in fit, finish, metal quality, smoothness, etc. etc. etc.

However- like Hawg stated - it didn't do much for me.

It was seriously lacking in one vital category - CLASS!

No way could the high quality Ruger compete with my Italian Colts in the COOL department.

Sold the Ruger ROA. Bought another Italian Colt replica with the profit.

I'm happy and the fella that bought the ROA is happy.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:46 AM   #46
Noz

All you 1860 Army Piettas bashers, send them to me I'll happily take them off your hands. Since they aren't worth anything to you I'd expect them to be free to me. I'd split the shipping.
And remember I have a pair of Ubertis for sale.