The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 23, 2020, 04:47 PM   #1
Swifty Morgan

Help Installing Pin for Marlin 60 Tube Magazine

I bought a new Marlin 60 in 2018. The experience has not made this one of my favorite guns. Had to send the first one back because it shot 4" groups at 50 feet. Marlin gave up and sent me a new one. The magazine tube fell out of the second one right away, and the pin that holds it in landed in a pasture in deep grass.

I got myself a new pin. Before I put this thing in and lose it again, I wonder if anyone can give me some clues.

Does this pin have to go in from a certain side of the gun? Is there anything I can do to make it less likely to fly out like the last one? Is there any reason I shouldn't apply blue Loctite to it? Is God telling me not to buy any more Marlins?
Old March 23, 2020, 05:08 PM   #2
Swifty Morgan

I decided to test-fit the pin. I can push it into the gun with my fingernail. I'm assuming this is not normal.

I don't know how to remove the ring the magazine tube sits in. If I did, I could install a new one and avoid dealing with Marlin/Remington. The ring appears to be mashed into a dovetail in the barrel.
Old March 23, 2020, 05:24 PM   #3
Swifty Morgan

I read online that the band can be drifted out of the barrel, so I ordered a new band. I will now have to look into getting some better tools for gunsmithing so I don't bubba up the barrel.
Old March 23, 2020, 07:17 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

You can close the hole tighter with a punch. Just move a little metal around.
Old March 23, 2020, 08:00 PM   #5
KEYBEAR

It helps to start the pin then give it a little bend .
Old March 23, 2020, 08:21 PM   #6
Swifty Morgan

Thanks for the help. Someone suggested I stick it in there with Loctite, so I did that. I have a couple of new parts on the way in case it falls out again.