The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2017, 08:50 PM   #26
DukeConnor

I load for 4 people ( including myself) i couldn't imagine doing all that on a single stage. My Daughter In Law can go through 300 rds of 9 in the time it takes me to drink a cup of coffee.
Old February 21, 2017, 10:06 PM   #27
jmorris

Quote:
I should have been a bit more clear about "feeling" and "hearing". I can close my eyes and tell by sound and resistance when a case has been properly trimmed. I can feel when neck tension is not right when seating projectiles. So, I wonder if I can do the same with a progressive system.
Well, I can only tell that a case has been properly trimmed by measuring it, so you are way ahead of me. That said on a progressive you will be seating a projectile while you are sizing another case and throwing a charge on another and maybe crimping and/priming. So there is no telling what you might be able to feel.
Old February 23, 2017, 12:32 PM   #28
jetinteriorguy

I load on single stage, turret, and progressive. I load rifle on both SS and turret and my .41 mag on turret. I load all my 9MM, .38sp, and .357 mag on progressive since these are what I volume shoot. In over 30 years of loading I've only just recently experienced a squib from the progressive press. I've had to really learn how to be more diligent in monitoring the progressive, but adding a strip light to my press and then looking in each round to visually check the powder drop has helped eliminate the problem, so far. I've also had to learn to always check the bore anytime something doesn't feel right.
Old February 23, 2017, 11:22 PM   #29
disseminator

I have a Redding Big Boss II single stage, and a Dillon 550b progressive.

I use the Redding for Magnum pistol and Hunting Rifle ammo and I use the Dillon for all auto pistol, 300 blk and 5.56mm rifle.

I do have an Inline Fabrication case ejector system on the Big Boss and it helps speed up reloading on a single stage immensely. But for high volume reloading, you can't beat the Dillon.

I prep the Rifle brass in advance and so I leave the first position open on those setups but for the pistol it's all automatic and you only handle the brass once instead of 4 or 8 times with the single stage. Not a big deal if only doing a few dozen or even a few hundred rounds. But if you are loading hundreds or even thousands, the Dillon will save SO MUCH time and is much easier on your hands and arms for repetitive stress as well.

It's great to have both so I can go between them as I wish.

I almost forgot: after you get used to the progressive, you can certainly "feel" if things are going right or not.
Old February 24, 2017, 08:00 AM   #30
rodfac

Get a Dillon and enjoy yourself shooting. Dillon presses have been used for loading the ammunition used in the Palma matches...accuracy, they've got. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 24, 2017, 08:28 AM   #31
BumbleBug

Expatmedic - If you like using a single stage press, consider adding another one to your bench. It is usually a less expensive option then getting a turret or progressive & you can stay content in your "ways" but with a little more convenience.

Here are some suggestions though. Mount your presses far enough apart to not intrude on each other while loading. Also if you can have identical presses, so much the better.

Just FWIW...
Old February 24, 2017, 09:42 AM   #32
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Anyone else in the same boat?
O hell no!!

If intending to shoot a allot or plan on joining a pistol league. A spendy Dillon Progressive is ideal to fill that need. Otherwise all Progressives press's become clutter and dust collectors on the reloading bench when seldom used. If you intend to shoot a box up every now and then for fun & giggles keep doing what you normally do ~~and do well from what I've read.
Old February 25, 2017, 01:57 PM   #33
ozo

Just an FYI for the unfamiliar.....a PSA if you will.

There is a Dillon 550, 550B, and 550C
The B upgrades are the low primer alarm and the failsafe mechanical return linkage on the powder measure. No other significant differences.

The Dillon RL550C is the most versatile reloading machine in the Dillon Precision Products line. It will accommodate the widest variety of cartridges from 32 ACP up to 338 Lapua, 416 Rigby, and 460 Weatherby.

The "C" designation indicates a significant design change. The upper link arm pivot pins are now threaded in place, and have a grease groove around the pin that connects with a lube hole on the end of the pin. You can use a needle fitting on a grease gun to lubricate the upper pivot pins now.

If you load for .223/5.56NATO you understand some shapes of powder can bunch up at the neck when charging. When deciding on loading with a progressive/semi-progressive press for the .223, you may wish to carefully choose which powder to use, and avoid any mishaps.
Old February 25, 2017, 06:28 PM   #34
jmorris

The C has different pins that are threaded, that's the change they made. It does nothing a B cannot do. Except now that they no longer sell a 550 B, people will not confuse the stripped down BL 550 with the 550 C, like some did with the B.

If you order a 550 from Dillon now it will be a BL 550 or an RL 550C.

Last edited by jmorris; February 25, 2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old February 26, 2017, 01:32 AM   #35
THEWELSHM

I just love My Hornady LNL

Yep the Dillon folks will jump on this like Hillary supporters. But its a great press.

thewelshm
Old February 26, 2017, 05:40 AM   #36
Brit

I used a Star progressive for many years, with my Wife loading primers in the brass tubes, 800 an hour was the goal. This was for the 20 plus years I taught.

The powder measure was so accurate. The .38 Special rounds fell through a hole in the bench, into a bucket, on the last stage.

160g copper washed round nosed bullets, produced no lube to clean off! The whole process of reloading was so relaxing.