The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 21, 2006, 01:43 AM   #1
King_chin0

1911 Accessories

I have been looking around online, and I couldn't find a good online place for 1911 accessories. I just recently purchased a Colt 1911 MKIV Series 80 Government Model. I have also seen there are caliber conversion for the GM 1911, I have seen a 10mm barrel, I was wondering if there is one for my 1911.

Thanks alot
Old September 21, 2006, 06:45 AM   #2
Lycanthrope

I haven't seen a 10mm conversion kit. Clark makes a .460 Rowland kit you may be interested in, though.
Old September 21, 2006, 09:33 AM   #3
ClarkEMyers

All the usual suspects but

All the usual suspects offer accessories including Midway and Brownell's with page after page of accessories.

As for 10mm in a .45 notice that the breechface and therefore the slide is cartridge family specific as are the associated parts. There are commonly differences in the feed ramp to go with the different cartridges of different length and diameter. The various .22 conversions all come with a slide and other parts to go with the conversion.

See Layne Simpson's book on the Custom 1911 or Patrick Sweeney's books on the 1911, Vol 1 and Vol. 2 for Digest Publications (Krause) for an extended discussion.

In a nutshell, the .40 S&W and the 10mm share a breechface as do the .45ACP/.45 Super/.460 Rowland as do the various 9mm from 9X19 throught 356TSW/9X21/9X23 but except by throwing the .38 ACP/Super in with the 9mm going across different case heads varies from tricky to difficult to impossible including unwise/dangerous.
Old September 21, 2006, 04:23 PM   #4
King_chin0

Yes, brownell definately has alot more accessories then midway. So in short, the 10mm drop-in:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...+MATCH+BARRELS

will only fit a .40 cal breech face, and pretty much a .45acp GM 1911 is out of the question, am I correct? And if I do want to convert it to a 10mm, it will cost an arm and a leg, which I might be better off just purchasing a
10mm kimber etc.
Old September 21, 2006, 05:17 PM   #5
ClarkEMyers

Yup that's the size of it -

When Brownell's writes:
Quote:
10mm fits Delta Elite and any slide with .40 cal. breech face
I'm sure it's because it's true not because they want to limit their sales.

There have been examples where perhaps as a stunt gunsmiths have gone up or down one size in switch barrel and slide and the whole top end guns but it certainly falls into the don't do this at home category. Ramped barrels will change feed ramp with the barrel and so on and so forth.

Notice that the .45ACP breech face can be used with the proper necked down cases to make a .40 - including .40 Super and other such more or less wildcats. Many of these work well with lighter bullets but will offer no advantage over the .45 with heavier bullets.