The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 3, 2005, 12:44 AM   #1
Silverherfer

10/22 With Scope

I recently aquired a Ruger 10/22T and ordered a Leupold VX II 3-9X33 Rimfire E.F.R. to top it off. A fellow shooter suggested that I might not want to mount this scope on it due to the abuse it will take from the action cycling. Any thoughts on this? I had never heard of this problem, but would like a second opinion before I ruin a $300.00 scope. I did some looking around and saw some accessories for the 10/22 that can be used to dampen the force of the bolt cycling...anyone done this? or should I just forget all this nonesense and go shoot.
Old March 3, 2005, 08:34 AM   #2
n3twrkm4n

If your talking about the bolt knob hitting the scope then you might be able to get riser rings, the ones that allow the use of iron sights and a scope those migh t place your scope high enough to not allow damage to it.

Also some people rotate their scope counter-clockwise a 1/4 turn in the rings so the elevation nob is at like 8 o'clock and the windage is at 11 o'clock this might allow some extra space, they usually do it to direct ejecting shells.

If that doesn't work then maybe some sticky felt or something you can place on your scope - but that's personal preference.

Good luck!
Old March 3, 2005, 10:10 PM   #3
scottys1

I can't imagine a properly mounted Leupold or any other quality scope being damaged in any way on a .22LR by firing or any other normal use. That scope will work fine.
Old March 3, 2005, 10:37 PM   #4
Silverherfer

Thanks for the input. The issue was not related to the bolt hitting the scope, but the (what I was lead to beleive) fairly severe metal to metal "clanking" associated with the 10/22 and the subsequent shock being transmitted to the scope. I gather this is not a problem that I need to worry about and appreciate the info.
Old March 3, 2005, 10:40 PM   #5
n3twrkm4n

Sorry for the misunderstanding :-) My trivial facts were of no help here... I do know I worry about my scope on the .308 because when I fire that about 20 times in a row the scope mounts become quite loose and I know there is power. But no threat to the integrity of the scope. Just gotta use some blue loctite.
Old March 4, 2005, 12:10 PM   #6
Quickdraw Limpsalot

If the scope were vulnerable to damage from the shock/vibration of the action cycling, what kind of damage would it receive atop any rifle LARGER than a .22... like say a 30-06? The recoil of the firearm would delivers much more energy than a bolt cycling on a .22 semiauto.
Old March 4, 2005, 12:36 PM   #7
Silverherfer

Yup, I see your point and was hesitant to post this inquiry. Recoil is somewhat less traumatic in terms of shock wave frequency and stress risers in an all-metal transfer and I would not be concerned about it in any Leupold scope. Howerver, I was advised that the 10/22 had an unsually severe instance of high frequency contact as a result of it's unique action and was (a little) worried about the scope's ability to withstand it.
Old March 4, 2005, 02:13 PM   #8
knightkrawler00

I've had a number of different scopes on 10/22T's, never had any problems with any of them. One Tasco went probably five thousand rounds before selling the rifle and scope. The next rifle had a Leupold Vari-X I 3-9 on it for a couple thousand rounds before getting replaced by a Vari-X II 4-12 which has been there for around a thousand rounds.

Besides, Leupold will fix it or replace it for free anyway.
Old March 4, 2005, 05:05 PM   #9
Silverherfer

Cool, sounds like there's nothin' to worry 'bout here. I appreciate the feedback and would like to say this forum is awesome. A great deal of info and an invaluable resource. Thanks.
Old March 5, 2005, 02:17 AM   #10
Samuel2001

Mount that Leupold on your 10/22 and go to town!!!
I mounted one one my Walther LVG air gun for a few months just to fool arround, and never broke! Anything that will take air gun recoil is good in my book!

My buddy has the same scope mounted on his Rem model 7 in .243 and has never had any problems. Has hunted with it three seasons now with no glitches!

Build a bridge, and...GET OVER IT!
Old March 8, 2005, 06:43 PM   #11
bp78

Perhaps he meant spring piston air rifles?

The advice you got probably crossed up 10/22 and spring piston air rifles. The spring piston air rifles generate vibrations like a snapping towel which rifle scope are designed to deal with, hence special air gun scopes for spring piston air rifles. I've had a 6-24x Leopold on my 10/22 for year and I swear the zero hasn't even drifted.
Old March 8, 2005, 07:32 PM   #12
Ledbetter

It is ironic but treue that the smaller projectiles producer a "sharper" recoil. (More snappy, less pushy.)

It is worth the money to get a bolt buffer from Weaponkraft. (Dakotan, the owner, posts here on TFL. I have dealt with him and he stands behind his goods.) His bolt buffers are guaranteed.

Ledbetter
from thefiringline
TFL #4573
NRA for Life
Winchester Canyon Gun Club for Life
Old March 10, 2005, 01:39 AM   #13
Silverherfer

Thanks for all the input fellas. I think I'll look into getting one of those boltfuffers Ledbetter, thanks.
Old March 10, 2005, 09:38 AM   #14
johnbt

Leupold says that all of their scopes can be used on airguns. JT
Old March 12, 2005, 09:44 PM   #15
ghettopettingzoo

22lr isn't that strong. I dont think anything would happen to it if you put the scope behind the primeing handle and fire nothing woould happen to the scope. I don't put a scope on my 10/22 i got a red dot sight. I figure if i was going to shoot something at long range i would use a 223 or something else. unless you are gonna shot birds on tree branchs and need it.