The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 23, 2006, 04:36 PM   #1
9mm1033

Using tri-focals in competition.

Anyone here shooting any type of competition wearing tri-focal lenses? I've just started shooting steel challenge. I'm having a hellva time getting focused on the front sight for speed shooting. Target/range slow shooting isn't a problem. All I can come up with is focusing the top lense on the steel plate after the RO says, "stand by". Then wait for the buzzer. Of course switching from target to target isn't as simple. I'm just curious if others are finding it difficult as well. Man, old eyes and shooting SUCKS!
Old September 24, 2006, 12:36 AM   #2
glockopop

First off, I am an ABO certified optician. What seems to work the best for pistol shooting for most people is single vision lenses with your distance prescription in your non-dominant eye and your intermediate prescription in your dominant eye. This allows you to shoot with both eyes open and see the front sight and the target clearly. Your intermediate prescription is half of your reading add, the smallest section on the top of your trifocal segment. If you ask any optician or optometrist who's worth his salt, he can convert your current Rx to intermediate only with a few simple algebraic calculations. Single vision lenses also cost considerably less than trifocals, too. Fortunately, I'm young enough to not need them yet. If you're getting a pair of glasses just for shooting, you might consider doing what I did and getting a pair of wraparound shooting glasses with an Rx insert. With the ones I have, I can switch the insert from a yellow-lens pair to a pair with polarized sun lenses depending on conditions, and it offers more coverage and protection than my regular glasses.
Old September 24, 2006, 08:30 AM   #3
Jim Watson

G is correct; my pistol shooting glasses have the right lens ground to focus on the front sight, the left at my regular distance Rx. I can read a scorecard well enough to not need them made as bifocals... yet.
Not cheap to keep a pair of glasses good for nothing else, but I just consider it part of the equipment necessary to compete.

No need for algebraic calculations, tell your optometrist what you are doing and get him to actually test you for an Rx at front sight distance. I have heard of taking a capgun to the exam but that is not really necessary, just stand arms length plus about six inches from the chart.
Old September 24, 2006, 08:32 AM   #4
Eghad

Quote:
First off, I am an ABO certified optician. What seems to work the best for pistol shooting for most people is single vision lenses with your distance prescription in your non-dominant eye and your intermediate prescription in your dominant eye.
what I had my optician do for me after a visit to the eye doc.

NRA Life Member
Old September 24, 2006, 09:08 AM   #5
9mm1033

I looked at my last prescription and all I can makeout is +2.25. I'm sure that's my reading bifocal lense. For my shooting distance lense (trifocal) he had my get into my normal shooting stance. Measured the distance and that was the bases for the trifocal lense power. My normal seeing distance is 20-20, but not far from 20-10. He said that's very good, but up close is crappy. So, I ordered yellow shooting lenses. Clear no power for distance, bifocal for reading/loading and a trifocal for a clear sight picture. Like I stated, it works fine for range duty, but is entirely to slow to focus for speed shooting. My next eye exam is in October. What exactly should I tell the doctor I need? At this point, I just can't see getting involved in any competition sport.
Old September 24, 2006, 09:19 PM   #6
glockopop

Tell him you want your distance Rx(or no Rx for you) in your non-dominant eye like you have now, and your intermediate only single vision Rx in your other eye.
Old September 25, 2006, 06:49 AM   #7
9mm1033

Thanks. I'll tell him your suggestion.
Old September 26, 2006, 03:45 AM   #8
Eghad

Are you near sighted? I can read with my glasses off. My distance lens makes the rear sight very very very fuzzy and without my distance prescription I couldnt see my front sight. The doc prescribed an intermediate prescription for my shooting eye that was powerful enough to see the front sight and where the rear sight was better.

NRA Life Member
Old October 3, 2006, 08:02 PM   #9
frankt

I wear progressive lenses which are just line less trifocals and I had the same problem. I could not see my front sight when looking through the distance part of my lens. I bought some stick on bifocals of a low power. This gives me a nice clear sight picture yet it is weak enough I can still function and get on the targets as I need to.

I just dampen the bifocal and stick it to the inside of my glasses on my dominant eye. I put it so I am looking through it when the gun is up and in shooting position. So far it has worked great.

I looked at getting shooting glasses with the rx insert and the glasses and insert was inexpensive but getting the prescription ground was more than I wanted to spend.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/optx...-bifocals.html