The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 20, 2002, 07:52 PM   #1
Pendragon

Any difference in loading 200gr LRN vs 200gr LSWC? (.45ACP)

I have seen a lot of recipie charts that have different bullets - one recipie will be for a LRN and another for LSWC

I am loading 200gr LRNs with 5.6gr of Power Pistol and I have another 500 bullets of 200gr LSWC that are from the same maker.

Can I load them the same way?

I am doing 1.265 OAL for the LRNs - should that work for LSWCs?

Any tips?

To me, it seems like as long as the weight and the material (Lead vs Jacketed) is the same, profile should not affect ballistics too much...
Old November 20, 2002, 08:27 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I don't have a manual at hand. Is that below maximum?
If so, the same load will probably do with the SWC.

Hardly any SWC loads out as long as a RN.
The usual H&G #68 SWC copy is often listed at 1.250". There are other patterns of SWC, most are shorter. Adjust to give about .020" of shoulder showing ahead of the casemouth. Or chamber check (barrel clean and out of gun) and load to where the rim is flush with the hood. That means the round headspaces on the SWC shoulder and you will have the best chance for accuracy.

After weight, the key to internal ballistics is the seating depth and its affect on the powder space. Bearing surface length can have an affect too, but it is not large with a lead bullet.
Old November 20, 2002, 09:27 PM   #3
Pendragon

Yeah - I think the max load is like 6.8 or 7.2

I had about 6.2gr in my first batch and they worked great, but I wanted to back them down a bit - I cant be certain, but it seemed like the slide was moving a bit fast for my tastes