The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 1, 2024, 10:16 PM   #1
44caliberkid

Range Report: Cimarron Model P 32-20

I have an original Winchester 1873 in 32 WCF, a Colt Lightening pump rifle, Savage Sporter and Colt Police Positive, all in 32-20. I was looking for an original Colt SAA in 32-20 for many years, but tough to find a nice one for less than $2000. So I finally ordered a Cimarron Model P in 32 WCF. Bought it on GB, a little over $500 with fees, shipping and $30 to my FFL.
Cimarron’s SAA’s are made by Uberti. Cimarron works closely with Uberti to make sure the QC is better than average. The last two Cimarron’s I’ve bought were both excellent in every way. This one is beautiful, great blue, nice fake case colors and attractive wood. I like long barrels for Cowboy action shooting and maybe taking afield.
The target in the picture was my first five shots, at 15 yards, with Winchester 100 grain lead bullet factory loads. POI was 1 inch below POA (6 o’clock hold) 3 shots clustered, one about 1/4 inch from those, then the fifth opening it up to a one inch group. Moving back to 25 yards made the POI a smidge lower and a 2 1/2 inch group. Certainly no problem hitting steel pistol target in CAS, as they run about 7 to 10 yards out. And no doubt minute of bunny or coyote out to 50 yards.
Action is super smooth, feels like it’s had an action job from the factory. Trigger is no creep, -3 lb break. No transfer bar, hammer mounted firing pin. I have Colt and other Uberti’s worked over by an excellent cowboy gunsmith and this pistol is their equal. I couldn’t be more pleased.
I have an original Winchester bullet mold and reload 32-20 with that slug and 3F real black powder. It will be fun to shoot them through this mini boomer. I may experiment with some jacketed bullets and smokeless, with the modern steel I should be able to equal 327 Federal velocities.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2692-compressed.jpeg (621.4 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2691-compressed.jpeg (577.7 KB, 66 views)
Old March 2, 2024, 12:57 PM   #2
rclark

Nice! You can, of course, file down the front side to bring the POI up. Easy Peasy. Horizontally you are looking good.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old March 2, 2024, 03:14 PM   #3
44caliberkid

It shoots so close to POA now, that I can live with it, no problem hitting cowboy plates. But once I see how the black powder rounds shake out I’ll probably make an adjustment.
Old March 3, 2024, 03:30 PM   #4
rclark

Well, your close is different than my close . 9 ring is close. 10 is where i'd want it. .
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old March 3, 2024, 03:35 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark
Well, your close is different than my close . 9 ring is close. 10 is where i'd want it.
Remember, he said he used a 6 o'clock hold -- which means his point of aim was the outside, bottom edge of the 7 ring. If he had been aiming at the center of the bullseye, the point of impact would have been in the 9 ring.
Jeepaholic
Old March 3, 2024, 06:21 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44caliberkid View Post
Cimarron’s SAA’s are made by Uberti. Cimarron works closely with Uberti to make sure the QC is better than average.
Cimarron sells the same guns everybody else does. The only differences are the Italian markings are hidden and the Cimarron barrel address is roll stamped on the barrel. They do not work with Uberti. Rumor 20 years ago was they had somebody in the Uberti plant cherry picking but if they did they no longer do. BTW they sell Pietta's too.
Old March 3, 2024, 09:04 PM   #7
44caliberkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Cimarron sells the same guns everybody else does. The only differences are the Italian markings are hidden and the Cimarron barrel address is roll stamped on the barrel. They do not work with Uberti. Rumor 20 years ago was they had somebody in the Uberti plant cherry picking but if they did they no longer do. BTW they sell Pietta's too.
Just quoting Mike Harvey, owner of Cimarron, from his YouTube videos. I also feel this particular pistol is the equal to my 3rd generation Colt SAA’s.

Last edited by 44caliberkid; March 3, 2024 at 09:20 PM.
Old March 3, 2024, 11:37 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I trust Mike Harvey about as far as I can throw the entire state of Texas.
Jeepaholic
Old March 4, 2024, 02:05 AM   #9
DaleA

A fine looking revolver and a nice group.
Congratulations.
Old March 4, 2024, 06:42 AM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
Just quoting Mike Harvey, owner of Cimarron, from his YouTube videos. I also feel this particular pistol is the equal to my 3rd generation Colt SAA’s.
I've got a 24 year old Cimarron and I've put many, many rounds downrange with it and IMO it's better than a 3rd gen Colt but unless it's one their gunsmiths have gone through it's no better than a Uberti from somebody else.
Old March 4, 2024, 10:17 AM   #11
rclark

Quote:
Remember, he said he used a 6 o'clock hold -- which means his point of aim was the outside, bottom edge of the 7 ring.
Never would have thunk it.... My 6 o'clock hold would have been on the 10 ring .

My Cimarron revolvers have have better actions than my other 'Uberti' brands. Just saying... Maybe just lucky.
Old March 4, 2024, 12:15 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Quote:
Remember, he said he used a 6 o'clock hold -- which means his point of aim was the outside, bottom edge of the 7 ring.
Never would have thunk it.... My 6 o'clock hold would have been on the 10 ring
Sure -- if you have regulated the sights for whatever size bullseye you use and whatever distance you usually shoot at. This was straight out of the box, so the only valid comparison is where did it shoot compared to where it was aimed.

That's a B-16 25-yard slow-fire target. The black is 5-5/16" diameter. To hit the X using a 6 o'clock hold, it means the sights have to be regulated to shoot 2.66 inches above point-of-aim at 25 yards. For anything other than shooting that exact diameter bullseye at that exact distance, having POI 2-5/8" above POA is not especially good.
Jeepaholic
Old March 4, 2024, 02:39 PM   #13
rclark

Quote:
This was straight out of the box, so the only valid comparison is where did it shoot compared to where it was aimed.
Understood. Just that I would shoot for the center (10 ring on top of sights for 6 o'clock hold) Something like one of my old 25Y targets. If low, the file would come out to bring it up if fixed sighted revolver . Each of us have a different way of sighting in our revolvers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TargetBlued45ColtFT25Y4227_20g_255SWC.jpg (51.0 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by rclark; March 4, 2024 at 02:48 PM.
Old March 4, 2024, 07:52 PM   #14
44caliberkid

I grew up bullseye target shooting, NRA sanctioned matches, in Boy Scouts, Explorer Post, and then club matches. My definition of 6 o’clock hold comes from NRA instruction as illustrated here:
https://www.nrafamily.org/content/ho...slightly%20low.

The reason for this sight picture for competition is it provides an extremely narrow and repeatable aiming point for windage and elevation. As in the above article, aiming at the center of the target is called a center hold. When I switched to shooting combat pistol I adjusted my sights to hit point of aim. However I still use the 6 o’clock hold to test new guns to see where the point of impact is, then will adjust sights for what I will use the pistol for. Cowboy steel targets are pretty generous in size and at close ranges, so this one will be fine as is.
Old March 4, 2024, 09:17 PM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44caliberkid
I grew up bullseye target shooting, NRA sanctioned matches, in Boy Scouts, Explorer Post, and then club matches. My definition of 6 o’clock hold comes from NRA instruction as illustrated here:
https://www.nrafamily.org/content/ho...slightly%20low.
That's the only definition I have ever seen or heard for six o'clock hold. The notion of trying to identify the faint white line of the 10 ring and using that as an aiming point -- and calling that a six o'clock hold -- is not something I have ever encountered.
Jeepaholic
Old March 5, 2024, 10:08 AM   #16
rclark

Quote:
The notion of trying to identify the faint white line of the 10 ring
? Just the red dot on top of the sight.... Not the white line....
Old March 5, 2024, 11:30 AM   #17
Hellcat1

I would love to get one of these Cimarrons to go along with my 1907 Colt SAA in 32WCF, but don't see them for sale anywhere. I was able to find these Ubertis, and was wondering if any of you might care to comment on the differences one might expect: https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...ER+3220+5.5%22

Frank
Old March 5, 2024, 07:13 PM   #18
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
? Just the red dot on top of the sight.... Not the white line....
The official B-16 target doesn't have a red dot. The official target has an all-black bullseye encompassing the 7, 8, 9, and 10 rings.

Jeepaholic
Old March 5, 2024, 07:15 PM   #19
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcar1
I would love to get one of these Cimarrons to go along with my 1907 Colt SAA in 32WCF, but don't see them for sale anywhere. I was able to find these Ubertis, and was wondering if any of you might care to comment on the differences one might expect: https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...ER+3220+5.5%22
I wouldn't expect any difference at all.
Jeepaholic
Old March 5, 2024, 08:02 PM   #20
44caliberkid

I got mine from Wholesale Hunter on GB. They had 7 1/2 and 5 1/2 models. You might try Texas Jacks, that is Cimarrons FFL in Fredricksburg, TX. They can ship to your FFL and avoid fees and state sales tax.
Old March 5, 2024, 10:41 PM   #21
Hellcat1

Quote:
I got mine from Wholesale Hunter on GB. They had 7 1/2 and 5 1/2 models. You might try Texas Jacks, that is Cimarrons FFL in Fredricksburg, TX. They can ship to your FFL and avoid fees and state sales tax.
Thanks for the responses.

And 44caliberkid, thanks for those leads. Neither of those places had any SAAs in 32-20, but Texas Jack's, who I had never heard of before, has another great gun that I may just have to get for myself!

Frank
Old March 6, 2024, 10:22 AM   #22
rclark

Quote:
The official B-16 target doesn't have a red dot.
No but his target does in first post (that is what I used as a relevant reference for this conversation) . BTW, my usual stapled targets that I use for sighting in is a simple paper plate with a dot in center (created with a black marker) . Keep it simple... and cheap. Nuff said.

I've never shot .32-20, although I have a small Uberti Lightening convertible that I shoot .32 H&R Magnum with. The other cylinder is there is I ever get around to loading for .32-20 .