The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 16, 2011, 04:25 PM   #1
TexansFan

Need help

I recently inherited a pistol that has been passed down from my great-uncle. I am not sure exactly how old it is, but judging from how old he was I would put it at around 60+ yrs old. I am trying to find out who the manufacturer of the pistol is. It is a break-barrel .38 cal revolver. It doesnt say the maker anywhere on the pistol, it only has a logo on the grip of a target with bullet holes. If you have any ideas of what the maker might be, I would appreciate it. Thank you.
Old January 16, 2011, 05:52 PM   #2
Dwight55

If you can put a picture of it on here, . . . you'll probably get a good answer.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old January 16, 2011, 08:15 PM   #3
Bud Helms

Let's take this to our research forum ...

And Dwight is correct, some pics would help a lot.
Old January 16, 2011, 08:23 PM   #4
gyvel

Again, without pictures, it's difficult to say, but the grips are from a Harrington & Richardson revolver. One of their trademarks was a depiction of a target with bullet holes in it at the top of each grip. If the grips are a perfect fit, in all likelihood you have an H&R that was possibly made as a proprietary "house brand" gun (i.e. specially made for a specific hardware store chain, for example), or else someone has removed all the original markings, possibly to refinish the gun.
Old January 17, 2011, 12:29 PM   #5
32 Magnum
Member In Memoriam

Does it look something like this one?

IMG_1877_2.jpg
Old January 20, 2011, 05:20 PM   #6
TexansFan

That is it, thank you

To the gentleman that sent a link to a gun, that is it. I actually just found, in very small writing, on top of the gun the the name and manufacturer. It is H & R. The only difference between the gun in the picture and the one I own is that my pistol has the writing on the top and not on the side of the barrel. It says the maker, place of manufacture, and copyright dates. Is this a rare pistol? Thank you guys for the help.
Old January 20, 2011, 05:47 PM   #7
TexansFan

I removed the grips and found the number 46192, if that helps at all. There very well could have been writing on the barrel at one time. It is pretty scuffed up. The gun wasnt very well taken care of, unfortunately.
Old January 20, 2011, 07:17 PM   #8
PetahW

[Is this a rare pistol?] - Nope.

Old January 21, 2011, 12:12 AM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Not rare and probably not very valuable. Unless in new condition, those guns rarely bring more than $100 at retail and many gun shops won't even take them in trade because they are often not functional and there would be liability issues if they were resold.

Jim
Old January 21, 2011, 09:43 PM   #10
TexansFan

Thank you

Thank you guys for the help.
Old February 7, 2011, 12:57 PM   #11
32 Magnum
Member In Memoriam

TexansFan,
With that serial number - it seems to be a 3rd Model "Auto Ejecting" H&R, probably 1st Variation. If you can remove the cylinder (raise the barrel latch and hold it open while unscrewing the cylinder from the arbor, I'm assuming there is no latch hold open button on the left side of the top strap???) and look for the "main" serial number stamped under the top strap - there may be a letter prefix to the s/n. This letter will indicate year of manufacture. Your gun was made close to the turn of the century (20th). In excellent condition examples from this era will RETAIL in excess of $200 - in fair condition the are selling, as Jim K. posted, less than $100. There are a couple of rare variations from this era that will sell close to $400 if in v.good to excellent condition. Check out the pics attached:
p.s. Exact rendition of the barrel rib stampings, including all patent dates will also pin down the DOM by confirming variation. Thanks

Img_1832_2.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

Tags
vintage revolver