The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 28, 2016, 03:05 AM   #1
drobs

Recommend me a pair of holsters.

I'd like to get a pair of Slim Jim holsters for my 1860 Colts. 1 lefty 1 righty. Both will be worn butt forward. Thinking I want vertical (no cross draw cant) so the could be worn either way.

Feel free to show off your rig - Black Powder Specific holster belt combos.
Old June 28, 2016, 04:20 AM   #2
swathdiver

Oklahoma Leather makes some nice low cost holsters. We've had a couple for three or more years. There are plenty of folks and companies who will happily make them custom just for you at reasonable prices. Whyte and Dell's Leatherworks comes to mind. Then of course, you can make your own, which is what our house does now.
Old June 28, 2016, 06:44 AM   #3
Hawg

I don't care for Oklahoma Leather because it's thin and chrome tanned and will get to the point where it takes both hands to holster the guns. If you oil them it makes them really floppy. Having said that I do have a set of them but I don't use them much for the above reasons.

Old July 5, 2016, 11:38 PM   #4
drobs

What's the quality like on Triple K holsters? They seem to be the least expensive ones out there.
Old July 6, 2016, 12:02 AM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
What's the quality like on Triple K holsters? They seem to be the least expensive ones out there.
Never had one but with leather you generally get what you pay for. You can find some nice heavy holsters made in Mexico for cheap but it's urine tanned, don't get it wet.
Old July 6, 2016, 12:44 AM   #6
salvadore

Urine tanned Hawgie? That's a pisser. ..
Old July 6, 2016, 06:07 AM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

This fellow (brazosdave) found on the Gunslingers gulch site makes such holsters. Reasonable nice custom tooled ones. Tell Dave Sure Shot sent yaw.

http://gunslingersgulch.com/
Old July 6, 2016, 09:40 AM   #8
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

I have a pair of Slim Jim holsters from El Paso Saddlery.

I had the first one made up in 2011 when I bought my S&W New Model Number Three and I wanted a nice holster for it. The holster is lined and I had El Paso add Border Stamping to dress it up a bit.

In 2013 I ordered another one just like it for my 2nd Model Russian.

It turns out my Merwin Hulbert Pocket Army fits perfectly in the Slim Jims too.

When you order from EL Paso you specify the revolver model, barrel length, right or left hand, color, belt width and straight or cross draw. My holsters are straight draw, russet, and I specified the maximum belt width of 3".

El Paso is not cheap. in 2013 the Slim Jim holster with lining and Border stamping came to $146.00 with shipping. There are lots of other fancy stamping options too. You get what you pay for, and El Paso is first rate. I do recommend lining a holster, it makes it easier to draw the pistol, and causes less wear to the finish than rough leather.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/default.aspx
Old July 6, 2016, 11:10 AM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
This fellow (brazosdave) found on the Gunslingers gulch site makes such holsters. Reasonable nice custom tooled ones. Tell Dave Sure Shot sent yaw.
Dave does good work as does Mike116 at the 1858 Remington forum. http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php I don't have any pics of Dave's work but Mike made this Hollyweird rig.

Old July 11, 2016, 12:38 PM   #10
H.W. French

El Paso Saddlery

[/URL][/IMG]
Old July 11, 2016, 10:34 PM   #11
drobs

Nice looking rigs - Driftwood Johnson, Hawg, and HW.
Thinking a pair from El Paso Saddlery are calling my name.
Old January 21, 2017, 03:59 PM   #12
jimku

My rig

Well, it ain't black powder specific but it's my rig.

Had the holster custom made to my specs. Did the rawhide work myself and made the knife sheath myself. I wear the gun @ the 4 o'clock position a-la John Wayne. Just like I would have worn it if I was in the real old west. I shoot SASS matches. Because it's at the 4 o'clock position and the muzzle is pointed behind me, I have to do a little "dance" at SASS matches when drawing and re-holstering to keep from pointing the muzzle at spectators, but speed be damned, I shoot matches just for fun. My other six gun rides in a Doc Holiday style shoulder holster. The belt, pouch and holster were made by Rudy Lozano at blackhillsleather.
https://blackhillsleather.com/
The holster has about a 40-degree forward cant that doesn't show in the picture. I wanted it made that way, and to ride high on the belt. The way I wear it, it doesn't get in the way when sitting, getting into a saddle, or any normal activity, yet it is easy and quick to draw. I would rather have it "authentic", the way I really would have worn it, rather the "optimized for SASS competition". You will not find a holster like this anywhere on Rudy's website. I put a lot of thought into it, sent him drawings, and we conversed back and forth to git 'er done. The belt is also custom, no cartridge loops except 6 in front just to the right of the buckle, and just a plain belt, diamond-stitched.

Last edited by jimku; January 21, 2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old January 25, 2017, 09:15 PM   #13
JACKlangrishe

Just realized this is an older thread. How'd those holsters work out for you drobs?

I was planning on going for a single holster buscadero style hollywierd rig, but kind of wanted to keep the entire rig under $100, which I realize is a super tight budget.

I was also eyeing the Triple K Western holster and belt from Cabela's, about $70 shipped, and was planning to cut a slit in the belt and make a drop loop like this- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptMnd3G8gDs&t=4m04s

..but all these images are making me reconsider.
Old January 25, 2017, 10:03 PM   #14
Hawg

My newest one. The belt and holster were freebies but the buckle cost me 34.00
A cross draw rig with a slight forward cant.

Old January 25, 2017, 10:10 PM   #15
drobs

I went with a pair of the Cabela's Triple K Hickok holsters. http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoot..._SEQ_104257080

Plus a matching color XL CS belt. Might change out the buckle down the line.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoot...%3FN%3D1100206

They are functional holsters - not as nice as these posted here. I still need to add a thong for the hammer. Figure I'll cut 2 small holes in each and thread through some leather cord. The holster have a bit of a cross draw cant to them.

I've seen some of these Cabela's holsters dyed with a combo of black and brown. Which is something I might take on.

When I have some more free time, I'd like take a crack at making my own. I have some materials from Springfield Leather

Old January 25, 2017, 10:14 PM   #16
Hawg

I have one of those belts. The buckle isn't anywhere near period but it looks fairly decent. The belt isn't heavy duty but it's serviceable.
Old January 25, 2017, 11:31 PM   #17
JACKlangrishe

That's great news! Also thanks for the pics! That definitely instilled more confidence in the acceptable quality of the leather.

Trying to keep the budget appropriate for an entry level gun, but don't want to go too cheap as to put the gun in jeopardy (ie: chromium, rough interior, etc...) Seems like the Triple K's might fit the bill for my first time around.

How's the interior on the gun's finish?
Old January 26, 2017, 10:33 AM   #18
drobs

Sorry for the slow response. Interior is rough leather. Not sure I'd want to do 1000 quick draws = lots of finish wear. The holster fit the 1860's nicely though. Not too tight. Figure it's made to fit both the 1858 and 1860. I'd say overall they are functional - good enough to carry my guns from the house out back to my range.

Edit - I probably would've been better off going with a black leather rig, as now I find I'm searching for a brown leather cartridge box which seem rare.

Last edited by drobs; January 26, 2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old January 30, 2017, 11:47 PM   #19
El Paso Joe

I'd have to agree on El Paso Saddlery and getting it lined. When I started needing a set of holsters I got a pair and belt from Oklahoma. Passable but not great. Then I started doing my own leather work. Expensive but I got exactly what I wanted. And a bunch more. But getting it from El Paso Saddlery is probably the better choice...
Old February 5, 2017, 11:35 AM   #20
jimku

I can't recommend Rudy Lozano at blackhillsleather highly enough.
https://blackhillsleather.com/
His rigs aren't cheap, but they are really GREAT quality. And he is a great guy, will work with you to build you whatever you want. He bent over backwards working with me to build me this rig, probably 50 emails back and forth, sending him drawings, a lot of "hassle" on his part, and didn't charge me anything extra for that. I love the rig he sent me because it is EXACTLY what I wanted. The holster isn't anything he has in his stock offerings, it is totally custom to my own specs. It is well-shaped, has a rolled-out top lip for easy re-holstering, is lined with smooth leather. It is sized for an old model bigger Ruger Vaquero, so my Ubertis fit it nice and slick and are SUPER EASY to draw. I then spent hours doing the rawhide work on the holster and cartridge pouch and made the knife sheath myself (he doesn't offer the rawhide work). I also got one of his shoulder holsters and love it as well.