The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 6, 2010, 08:38 AM   #26
Microgunner

Quote:
Well I'm sure he need the drugs pretty bad
Meth head I think. He was swatting bugs.
Old March 6, 2010, 11:04 PM   #27
spotter123654

truly an idiot haha
Old March 11, 2010, 07:35 PM   #28
cubesmoothie

Put a sign up on the front door that says (All firearms must be in a case) that would suck if you or someone else got hurt when no one means any harm.
Old March 11, 2010, 07:47 PM   #29
KAK

1. Licensed CC is welcome.
2. All Firearms for pawn must be cased, and unloaded.
3. I will assume weapons drawn from holsters, pockets or jackets; ARMED ROBERY and will fire oppon you.
Old March 11, 2010, 07:58 PM   #30
Shotgun Don

Try working @ a Gun store with a Range.....you cant even imagine the stupidity
Old March 11, 2010, 08:04 PM   #31
orionengnr

What Pete said...

Quote:
My response would be "That's a good way to get shot, idiot. Now get out of my business and don't come back."
Especially the second part.
Old March 12, 2010, 03:33 AM   #32
tkopp

The geniuses who pull this sort of crap are the same sort who'd not read a sign. Pawn shops deal with all kinds of people, and pawn shops that deal in firearms (mine doesn't) deal with all kinds of armed people. All you can do is tell them they're being a jackass and hope they reform. If they don't, lowball 'em until they go someplace else.
Old March 20, 2010, 03:43 PM   #33
zzbruno

I was in a gun shop in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago, and as soon as I opened the door, a recorded message said "If you are entering this business with a weapon, declare so NOW." There was a sign at eye level right inside the door that said exactly the same thing. The guy working the counter said the owner put it in a couple of years ago when two guys came in with shotguns wrapped in blankets and just hovered around the counter for a few minutes. The clerk had triggered a silent alarm and two other employees were locked and loaded behind a two-way mirror. Those guys came within seconds of getting blasted and it turned out they were just a couple of goobers who inherited a couple of single-shot shot guns.
Old March 21, 2010, 05:06 PM   #34
jborushko

come on... how many signs are on the door to a pawn broker? you'd have to sit there for 30 min to read them all. at which point you dont even try to read the one that is right next to the handle or eye level. now if it was ONE sign that would be easier to notice, but if its mixed in with 15 others...

i do like the recorded message idea, thats pretty sweet.

personally, if im gonna pull a piece (to test a holster or whatever) i always announce it to the clerk, and make it painfully obvious that my fingers are nowhere near the trigger. then unload the weapon muzzle down. then reload back in my car after leaving. i have never had a problem with this technique.

conversation goes like this:

me: "hi there... id like to try this holster out/whatever. do you mind if i remove my weapon from my holster/pocket to try it out? i will unload the weapon."

them: "fine"

me: "thank you, its in a shoulder holster/where ever"
slowly open shirt and remove weapon

OR... them:" please leave the store and unload it then bring it back in"

me: "no problem, i'll be right back, do you have a case i can borrow?"

of course if i do see the sign, i would obviously follow those instructions. or if im headed into the gunsmith for work to be done... that weapon is in a case unloaded, bolt open locked back or a piece of plastic through the action holding it open. if i hawked my guns i would do the same thing

my point is, having a sign may not be as obvious as it sounds. and you cant get over peoples god given right to be stupid
Old March 22, 2010, 09:37 AM   #35
threegun

Microgunner, Get over it. If this guy was intent on robbery he would likely have shown signs of fear and or nervousness long before removing the firearm from his pocket.

If someone comes in acting normal and reaches into a pocket then pulls a gun and robs or kills you.......it sucks but it cannot be prevented only countered.

You cannot draw on everyone who reaches into a pocket nor can you beat someone to the draw who already has a gun in hand.

So all you can do is train in tactics to maximize your ability to survive an encounter in which you are behind in the reactionary curve.

You should only be upset with yourself if the guy had displayed suspicious behavior and you failed to react...........like that other time LOL. I had your back that time though.
Old March 22, 2010, 09:48 AM   #36
Edward429451

But if you refuse service to morons, wont your customer base go down to twelve people?
Old March 22, 2010, 09:49 AM   #37
NavyLT

Blame your legislature. If open carry was legal in FLorida, you wouldn't have that problem!
Old March 22, 2010, 10:27 AM   #38
threegun

Quote:
But if you refuse service to morons, wont your customer base go down to twelve people?
LOL.............It would dwindle for sure.
Old March 29, 2010, 02:52 PM   #39
B18C5-EH2

I do frequent business with a well-known pawn shop in GA. I've been into this place many times and have spoken with a particular guy (whom I'll get to in a second) as well as most everyone on the staff.

I went into the shop with my unloaded Glock 39 with the intention of sizing it up against a few other pistols. I did not plan this out beforehand, so I did not have my case, a box, etc. I did however have my ISWB holster on me. I figured declaring to have the unloaded firearm BEFORE I pulled it out and laid it on the counter would be ideal given the circumstances. (they did not have another baby Glock, nor would they have the Pearce Grip +1 extension to add for comparison) or else I'd have just used one of theirs.

First I talked to a younger guy and asked him if he would mind if I pulled my Glock out of the holster, unloaded, to compare it to a Kahr CW40. He said it was not a problem and I slowly and very deliberately pulled the Glock from my ISWB holster, locked the slide open (the unloaded magazine was in my pocket) and let him check it before I laid it on the counter.

No problem.

Then I am done comparing, and the guy goes into the back. I see a Glock 36 I'd like to handle and compare to my 39. I approach an older guy there that I've seen and spoken to on numerous occasions. He gets the 36 out and I'm checking it out. I then ask him if I could bring my 39 out for comparison (I even said unloaded Glock 39) and he nods his head yes. I pull the 39 out (I won't say "draw" because it was very slow and deliberate) and as I'm locking the slide back he literally yells out:

"THAT THING'S NOT LOADED IS IT?!?!

Scared the crap out of me. Half the place stopped and looked at me/us (my wife and baby were with me) like in the movies or something.

I guess he was only half listening when I told him I'd be taking my unloaded Glock 39 out to compare/contrast with the 36 on the counter.

Yes, yes I intend to rob a store from which I've purchased guns, they seeme and know who i am, AND have my wife and child with me.

Last edited by B18C5-EH2; March 29, 2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old April 8, 2010, 12:09 PM   #40
nefprotector

Last year I had to pawn a few of my guns due to layoffs @ the work place. I carried all my guns that I had really no use for in; in some sort of case or another or original box that they came with. I was no problem with the pawn brokers.

BUT! A guy that worked with me (black) tucked his handgun, in his waistband and entered. I thought the place was going to go nuts. He quickly raised his hands to the sky and said "Im here to pawn". I thought Damn! What a Dumbbutt! He was later advised of proper procedures of entering the shop with a gun.
Old April 13, 2010, 02:30 PM   #41
gunrunner1

Around here, some bring a gun into a pawn shop in a case, some just carry it in the open, no one bats an eye. If you stood in the doorway and announced "I have a gun", that's when someone might think you were going to rob the place.
Old April 13, 2010, 03:46 PM   #42
Helios

Quote:
Microgunner, Get over it. If this guy was intent on robbery he would likely have shown signs of fear and or nervousness long before removing the firearm from his pocket.
Can't say I agree with that. I was in a general store/pharmacy once while it was robbed. The bad guy stuck a knife in the face of the cashier and demanded money. He was cool as a cucumber the entire time.
Old April 13, 2010, 05:15 PM   #43
m&p45acp10+1

I think some of the not so bright people just seem to have a knack for making people in gun stores. and pawn shops nervous. There is a sighn on the front door of the gun store I frequent. It reads.
1 If you are carrying a concealed handgun in this store make sure it stays that way. (Word concealed in bold red letters, and underlined.)
2 No Loaded work guns shall be brought into this store.
3 If your gun is not in a case make sure the muzzle is pointed at the floor, with the action open.
Unfortuanately common sense is becoming less common these days.
Old April 22, 2010, 06:20 AM   #44
threegun

Helios,

Quote:
Can't say I agree with that. I was in a general store/pharmacy once while it was robbed. The bad guy stuck a knife in the face of the cashier and demanded money. He was cool as a cucumber the entire time.
I did say.....
Quote:
Get over it. If this guy was intent on robbery he would likely have shown signs of fear and or nervousness long before removing the firearm from his pocket.
I believe I went on to say something to the effect that if someone is as cool as a cucumber while intent on harming you, you are probably screwed.

In all the actual robbery footage I have seen and the personal accounts I have heard all displayed the tell tale signs of nervousness and or fear. With most folks saying they knew something was up. Your story is the first account I have heard that the perp gave no signs of pending trouble. I'm not even sure of yours because being cool during the event and being cool prior to the event are two different animals.

I do agree that it can happen. My experience says its rare though.
Old April 22, 2010, 08:33 AM   #45
ScottRiqui

Had a no-muss/no-fuss experience at the local shop last week.

I was looking at a Galco shoulder holster and wanted to know if it would allow condition-one carry with my EMP .40 S&W. (the Galco website is purposely vague on this topic.) I asked if they had an EMP I could test-fit to the holster, and the clerk apologized and said that they didn't.

I mentioned that I was carrying mine, and asked the clerk if he would be willing to clear it and let me use it to check the holster. He agreed, and I handed the pistol over to him, keeping the muzzle pointed at the ground. He cleared it while I watched and handed it back to me along with the magazine and the round from the chamber. After checking out the holster (which was a perfect fit, so I ended up buying it), the clerk politely asked me to keep the pistol in condition three or lower until I left the store, which I thought was reasonable.

Everyone was polite and professional during the whole transaction, and no one made me feel like a criminal or that they didn't trust me to handle safely. All in all a good experience.
Old April 23, 2010, 01:58 PM   #46
Microgunner

Scott, that was a truly responsible way of handling your situation by all parties involved. Now, walk into a gun shop, reach into your pocket and pull out a pistol. I'll bet a whole different scenario plays out. I wish all my customers were as considerate as yourself.
Old May 7, 2010, 12:25 AM   #47
rudeboy3

Ya pawn shops get pretty wild sometimes..my dad has owned one for 33 years and never drew his gun until this last year (after the economy tanked) twice for attempted robberies. Ya he's ready to retire.