The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 7, 2007, 11:58 PM   #1
TargetTerror

Reloading newbie, lots of questions!

I want to begin reloading, but am overwhelmed by all of the information, tools and gagdets that are out there. So, i was looking for a little guidance to get me started.

I shoot .357 mag/.38 special and .30-06, and would eventually like to reload for both calibers. i just but a case of surplus .30-06 from CMP, so I'm more concerned right now with reloading for .357 mag (if that makes a difference). Also, I live in an apartment, so I don't have room for a big press and bench at this time. So hand presses only.

Press: The Lee Precision had press kit has caught my eye. It looks complete (i think?) and the price is right. I am correct that if I buy the hand press kit:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=624416

and the .357 size die:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=702138

that the only thing else I willneed is primers, brass, bullets and powder?

Does anyone have any experience with this press? Would you recommend any others over it? If so, why?

Powder: I am also a little unsure about how one measures out the powder for each round. I've read about various automatic measures and dispensers, but for a basic kit as above, would I have to manually weigh the powder load on a scale for each round? It looks like the kit does not come with a scale, so I assume I would ahve to buy one separately?

Cleaning brass: Waht is the procedure for cleaning and drying brass? would a tumbler like this one suffice:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=587176

Do I just ad a cleaning agent, hit the "on" button, and then pull out the brass and dry it when its clean?

Manuals/books: Can anyone recommend any good relaoding books or manuals? Mind you that i am a complete beginner.

Powders, bullets, and primers: What would you guys recommend I buy for powder, bullet, s and primers? My gun is a Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag. This will be entirely for target shooting. I would like to have a few different loads, with different bullet weights. not sure yet of what weights I would like.

Also if anyone knows of any other tools, gadgets, or equipment I can get to make reloading easier, please let me know. I would ideally like to place a single order from Midwayusa or some equivalent for everything I will need to start reloading.

Thanks in advance for all of you help!!
Old January 8, 2007, 12:15 AM   #2
cloudcroft

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=230171

-- John D.
Old January 8, 2007, 12:22 AM   #3
Smokey Joe

A little knowledge....

is a good place to begin. More knowledge is even better.
Quote:
Manuals/books: Can anyone recommend any good relaoding books or manuals?
TargetTerror, the "standard textbook" of reloading is The ABC's of Reloading put out by Krause Publishing www.krause.com They must be doing something right; the book is in its 7th edition.

Pick it up @ yr local sptg gds sto, gun sho, off the I'net, or from the publisher. But get it and read it. It will answer almost all of yr questions, plus more you haven't thought of yet. And faster than one-at-a-time over the I'net. Nice clear explanations. Good reference. Should be on every reloader's bookshelf, well thumbed, IMHO.

Now, The ABC's is a how-to and better yet, why-and-why-not-to kind of book. You'll also need recipies for loads. For that you want a loading manual. My go-to manual is Lyman's 48th Edition, but there are several good ones out there, and you'll probably end up with more than one manual anyhow, so just get one for starters. Another good one is the Sierra manual, edition V. Plus, all the major component manufacturers have websites, most with loading info.

Oh, and BTW, welcome to The Magnificent Obsession--Reloading!

--Smokey Joe
Old January 8, 2007, 01:23 AM   #4
skeeter1

Reloading info

Take a look here:

http://www.reloadammo.com/

Scroll down, and there's lots of good reloading tips.

I'm guessing you're on a limited budget, so I'd suggest a Lee hand press to start out with -- that's what I use. I have a reloading bench in the basement, but I'd rather reload at the kitchen counter. I only got the basic Lee hand press kit and the carbide dies for .38/.357. Works just fine for me, and doesn't take up a lot of room.

I can't remember where I got the Lee press, but probably from cheaperthandirt.com or midway.com, since those are the places I buy most of my stuff.

Have fun reloading! Great way to kill a winter evening.
Old January 8, 2007, 09:14 AM   #5
rangermonroe

I started off with a Lee anniversary kit that I got from Midway. I made a base for it that I could clamp to the kitchen table. When I got the itch, I pulled the box out of the closet, set her up, and pounded out some rounds.

IIRC, it came with scale, funnel and a set of dies. Also a hand priming tool. YOu will need to buy a set of shellholders for the priming tool. And a powder measure.

A pound of powder is running about $20, and will be good for many many .357 rounds.

If I were you, that Is what I would buy, along with a set of neck sizing 30/06 dies. You will enjoy loading for your rifle more than loading pistol ammo.

You can load those 'high dollar' shells for very little, and practice with your hunting ammo.
Old January 8, 2007, 01:00 PM   #6
castnblast

Get an anniversary kit. It has powder measure, and scale. Both are a must. You can build a small bench out of 2x4's and plywood. Doesn't need to be a large bench. Just sturdy. PM me & I'll be glad to assist you further.

Get a manual & read the basics. 3 times. Then order your stuff...
Old January 9, 2007, 07:51 AM   #7
DWARREN123

I started reloading last August. Started by asking questions then got a manual, The ABC's of Reloading. Great manual, good for finding out what you need to get to start. Read the manual and purchased the Lee Anniversary Kit. Purchased dies, powder(s) recommended, primers, bullets and a tumbler w/media.
I reload for 32 H&R magnum and 357 magnum so 2 sets of dies and bullets and used once fired brass. Some powders are good for both calibers and primers are the same.
I started out with good/basic loads from the manuals and then started on some heavier/hotter loads, go slow and easy and double check each step.
I have found some good target and hunting loads and like reloading for the ability to make my own good ammo. Quite a neat hobby.
Old January 9, 2007, 10:40 AM   #8
castnblast

BTW, here are some things the anniversary kit does not come with that are required in my book...

Micrometer...A must for getting consistant safe ammo. The are used to measure your case length, measure bullet seat depth, and of course the over-all length. Don't...I repeat DON'T eyeball your bullet seat depth. It's a great way to get hurt or kill yourself...

Powder trickler...This is for precision pours of rifle powder. You don't need it for pistol in general.

Case length gauge for your lee trimmer. The kit comes w/ the trimmer & lock stud, but you need the specific case gauge for your caliber. They are inexpensive, about 3.00 or so.

As mentioned before, a couple of good R-L manuals.

Kenetic bullet puller. Helps you retain some of your components if you have an odd-ball or questionable round. If in doubt, pull the bullet and re-do.

Of course, Dies specific to the caliber you are reloading.

BTW, Lee dies are great. They have really good instructions on how to set up.

Remember...All powders are different. That's why there are so many out there. Never cross powder brands...ever...Even if they have the same number on them. The burn rates will still vary. Also, some die sets come w/ powder scoops. They are worthless for the most part. Toss them and use your scale. It is the safest way to know you have a safe load, and not creating an overcharged round.