The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 22, 2009, 03:34 PM   #1
super_grrrrl78

Good semi-auto for a woman (home protection)?

Hi, this is my first message on the boards. I am interested in getting a semi-automatic pistol for personal and home protection. My husband currently has a Springfield XD .40 cal which is a bit powerful for me. He thinks that a .22 wouldn't be strong enough to really stop someone (although I think that if someone shot me, I would probably feel like sitting down). He suggest a 9mm, and I am wondering if anyone knows of a good gun for a woman? Not too big (though I personally would get a Desert Eagle, if it weren't for the fact that I would probably tip over just trying to hold it), but with enough kick to ruin someone's whole day.

I thank you for any help you can offer!
Old June 22, 2009, 03:41 PM   #2
Logs

Hello, WELCOME....

You should really go shopping. and see what fits your hand better.

With that said, my wife enjoyed shooting my Bersa .380 nice compact semi auto. She also is capable with our Taurus mod 85 38 special revolver.

My wife has a hard time pulling back the slide on my Glock 26 or 1911 so you should see what you are comfortable with. Many times folks overlook the small revolvers, but they are a good choice.

GOOD LUCK.
Old June 22, 2009, 03:43 PM   #3
Colt1911forever

Check out this site. http://www.corneredcat.com/

Check out this article.

http://www.corneredcat.com/FirstGun/tryongun.aspx

Then watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

Go to a store with a large selections of guns. Try to fit as many guns as you would like.

Focus on 3 calibers in semi-autos: I do not recommend 380 autos. Their blow back design is very snappy and it kicks harder than 9mm IMHO. It also often offered in smaller guns. Smaller guns = more kick.

9mm is the softest shooter.

40 S&W is snappy with a more muzzle flip.

45 ACP is more of a push than a snap.

There is no one size fits all and there is no one caliber that is best for all women. I know women who can shoot lights out with any of these calibers. I suggest you pick the ones that feel the best in the hand.

Then move to actually shooting the guns that feel the best. Go to a range and rent them. Then pick the one you feel the most comfortable with. Good luck and enjoy the search.
Old June 22, 2009, 03:47 PM   #4
rsxr22

There's multiple things to consider i've found when helping a woman pick out a gun. The 2 most popular calibers i've sold and trained women with is 9mm and .380. I would personally take the 9mm over the .380 because it is more powerful and MUCH easier to find in stores and cheaper to practice with.

As far as guns go. You have 2 options, a steel gun or polymer. If you are planning on getting a range gun and a strictly home defense gun, i would say go with all steel. Sig Sauer 229 or 226 makes a good choice, but their pricey as well. If you are going to be carrying your weapon i would be more likely to suggest a polymer(plastic frame) pistol. A glock 19, Walther P99, Springfield XD-m(that sucker holds 20 rounds!!! for a HD gun you cant do much better capactiy wise than that even though you shouldnt need that many rounds)Smith & Wesson MP9. Those would be the front runners for me in the polymer family. I could offer even more options for you, if you could list a price range and is it strictly for HD? or will you carry and use as a range gun?
Old June 22, 2009, 03:50 PM   #5
easyG

My advice....

Try lots of different guns at a range which rents firearms.
But don't waste your time and money on the smaller calibers (like .22, .25, ect...) stick with the more effective calibers (.38 special, 9mm, etc....).
Take comfort in the fact that women all over the world use handguns effectively everyday.
They are no better and no stronger than you.
There exist NO caliber that you cannot master with enough practice and training.
Some are easier than others, but there's no need to settle for a weak and ineffective caliber.

Personally, I recommend a Glock G19 9mm.
Keep it chambered and ready to rock.

Or a .38 special revolver, if you're willing to strengthen your fingers and hands to handle the heavy double-action trigger.

Good luck,
Easy
Old June 22, 2009, 04:28 PM   #6
Doc TH

Best gun

It's a very personal decision, and has been said above, you really should fire a number of different calibers and brands. Think about the following:

Do you find you like revolvers because of the simplicity? No magazines to worry about; the highest level of reliability; ability to shoot "low power", mid, or higher power rounds from the same gun. BTW, I don't believe the double action pull is likely to be a big issue unless you have some physical problems with hand/finger strength. They are slower to reload and have fewer rounds available.

For semi-auto's do you prefer a visible hammer? Some models are striker-fired and have no external hammer. If you would rather have a hammer you can see, then you need to think about whether you want a single action, double-action only pistol, or a more traditional double action/single action where the first shot generally requires a long trigger pull, but all subsequent shots will have a much lighter trigger pull. Do you want a semiauto that has a separate safety?

You would be best served by borrowing or renting examples of each of those handguns to make certain you are very comfortable with your final choice.

Most appropropriate calibers start at the .38 special and 9 mm.
Old June 22, 2009, 04:29 PM   #7
Colt1911forever

Why do men always suggest revolvers to women in the SEMI-AUTO SECTION of the forum??????

:barf:
Old June 22, 2009, 04:39 PM   #8
PhoenixConflagration

Let her try as many as you can get into her hands. Put a Bersa .380cc in her hands if you can.
Old June 22, 2009, 04:50 PM   #9
Texas Man

You should listen to your husband. And buy hollow points you dontwanna overpenetrate
Old June 22, 2009, 04:53 PM   #10
Colt1911forever

PhoenixConflagration did you even bother to read the OP? First of all it a woman asking the question. It is not a husband asking for his wife.

Second she is looking for a home defense gun. Why on earth would she choose a 380 conceal carry pistol like the Bersa.... :barf:

Come on guys read the question and give her an intelligent answer.
Old June 22, 2009, 05:00 PM   #11
Webleymkv

My first question is how large and what shape are your hands? I have found that 90% of the recoil problems that people experience with handguns have much more to do with how the gun fits your hand than the cartridge itself. If you have smallish hands, you might want to find a gun with a slimmer grip than the XD as it may be more comfortable to shoot. Should that be the case, myself and others here can give you a few slim-gripped options to look at. If, on the other hand, the XD feels comfortable to you, perhaps simply getting an XD in 9mm may solve your problems. Of course the most preferable course of action is to find somplace that rents handguns so that you can try them out, but I know that sometimes that's not possible.
Old June 22, 2009, 05:01 PM   #12
PhoenixConflagration

Actually she said home and PERSONAL defense. And the Bersa .380 is an excellent gun for someone who is recoil sensitive (like my wife). It's size may make it suited to concealed carry, but it also makes it well-suited to smaller hands. And even though it is .380, it will still, as the OP puts it, ruin someone's day. Especially with some +p Cor-bons.
Old June 22, 2009, 05:05 PM   #13
Colt1911forever

Quote:
Actually she said home and PERSONAL defense. And the Bersa .380 is an excellent gun for someone who is recoil sensitive (like my wife). It's size may make it suited to concealed carry, but it also makes it well-suited to smaller hands. And even though it is .380, it will still, as the OP puts it, ruin someone's day. Especially with some +p Cor-bons.
You have got to be kidding me. The blow back design and light weight crappy aluminum frame of the Bersa 380 makes it a terrible gun if you are looking for a soft shooter. Plus you are suggesting +P Corbon as the right load. P.S. There is no real +P 380 auto.

The Bersa is an over rated piece of junk. Also have you seen the price of 380 auto these days. If you can find it it is $30+ a box. Worst choice imaginable for a new shooter in this ammo environment. IMHO
Old June 22, 2009, 05:26 PM   #14
azredhawk44

Hi, super_grrrrl78.

Welcome to our little corner of the intarwebz.

Someone above recommended CorneredCat, which sounds great, so give it a perusal first.

I'll recommend some platforms to look at as well:

1. If you're severely recoil averse, I'd suggest the largest .380 autopistol you can find. Taurus makes a doublestack .380 called the Millenium Pro with 12 round magazines. They also make a model 58 in .380, with 19rd magazines. Beretta also makes a model 84 in .380 that is a bit heavier than either Taurus offering, with 13rd magazines. Any of these guns weigh between 18 and 25 ounces, + ammo. The above mentioned guns are not blowback designs (as mentioned earlier by Colt1911Forever), so the recoil is lessened by using a "larger" gun design.

2. On the other end of the spectrum you can look into full-framed steel guns in 9mm or 45acp. I'd suggest staying away from .40, but feel free to look if you are so inclined. The Beretta 92, Taurus PT92 or any of a host of 1911-style offerings from Colt, Springfield, Kimber, Dan Wesson or other companies would be good to look at. Keep the pistol weight above 40 ounces and recoil for the "major" cartridges like 9 or 45 becomes quite manageable.

Last edited by azredhawk44; June 22, 2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old June 22, 2009, 05:36 PM   #15
Colt1911forever

If I was going to get a new 380 auto it would be this one......

I am on Wilds list for one in nickel.

Or maybe the Sig P238 Straight blow back design but it is small. Plus its cocked and locked.

Old June 22, 2009, 05:46 PM   #16
Colt1911forever

To name names I would look at the following...

Glock 19 If it fits it is a great all around pistol.

Sig P228 Get the one without the rail. It is incredible. You can stuff 18+1 into it with the right mags and X-grip. It is light short and you can carry it.

CZ P01/PCR... these guns used to be the best deal in a 9mm on the planet. These days at $500+ they are still a strong value. Short trigger reach makes these the gem of the CZ line IMHO.

Do not forget the original wonder 9..... The BHP this is the best fitting handgun for smaller hands in the world. The original hi-cap 9mm that allows you to carry cocked and locked.

Finally the 1911 in 45 ACP. This is a gem. If you like the idea of a desert eagle you will love a 1911. The 45aCP is a push but the slim customizable grip makes it one of the easiest controlled shooters ever invented.

In the end you have to pick what works for you.....
Old June 22, 2009, 05:47 PM   #17
comn-cents

Do the gun shop thing. It is shopping, I know my wife enjoys that.
What ever feels good in your hand and that you feel comfortable with, racking the slide, using the slide stop, the mag release.
My wife hates, really hates recoil of any kind. She has a .22 by her bed side. that is what she likes and feels most comfortable with. She is warning up to the idea of a Mac90 with under folding stock. I like that better than the .22 but it has to comedown to what every you like.
I think the Beretta .380 above has a great feel to it.

Don't forget about light attachments, laser grips or night sights. Good things to consider. Also nothing to small, when there is a bump in the night you want something that is easy to use.

Good luck and welcome.

Last edited by comn-cents; June 23, 2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old June 22, 2009, 05:52 PM   #18
Tombstonejim

My wife went to the gun shop. Fondled and held everything she thought might work and walked out with a Glock 19. Fits nice and its point and shoot. None of this ahhh which way do I push the safety stuff.
Old June 22, 2009, 05:55 PM   #19
Colt1911forever

Glock 19 is a great choice.... better than most shooters in every aspect.

I like the older ones because the grip molding of the current ones sort change my grip.

Lightweight, accurate, 100% reliable and affordable what's not to like?
Old June 22, 2009, 05:59 PM   #20
Lost Sheep

Welcome

Quote:
super_grrrrl78
Hi, this is my first message on the boards. I am interested in getting a semi-automatic pistol for personal and home protection. My husband currently has a Springfield XD .40 cal which is a bit powerful for me.
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for asking our opinions.

By all means, listen to your husband. Then gather information and form your own opinion.

I suggest you borrow or rent a Springfield XD 45 ACP and go to a range and shoot your husband's 40 and the 45, alternating. The 40's recoil is sharp. The 45, not so much. A side-by-side comparison is the best way to determine which you prefer. If you can, shoot both 185 grain bullets and 230 grain. I usually advocate choosing bullet weight/construction based on the target/threat, but for educational purposes, I think you will find the exercise enlightening. If you can get hold of an XD 9mm at the same time, so much the better.

You both having similar/identical guns will make training for operation simpler. Either one of you will be equally well trained with either gun. Tactically, it makes good sense to me.

Despite this being the Semiauto forum, I will suggest that a revolver is worthy of consideration, not because you are female, but just because revolvers are worthy. My housegun is a 6" .357 Magnum loaded with Glaser Safety Slugs backed up with a 5" .45 ACP loaded with Winchester Silvertips.

Despite this being the Semiauto forum, I will suggest that a shotgun is worthy of consideration for home protection. It is much easier to hit your target with a long gun with a stock than with a handgun. And a shotgun hits a LOT harder, too.

Lost Sheep

P.S. Colt1911forever neglected to define "BHP" The Browning High Power. Yes, the original Wondernine, "Load on Sunday and shoot all week". It has a 13 round magazine and is a GREAT gun deisgn. John Moses Browning is considered a god among gunners for his many, many innovations and inventions, from the 50 Caliber machine gun to the .25 Auto.
Old June 22, 2009, 06:01 PM   #21
Colt1911forever

Quote:
Despite this being the Semiauto forum, I will suggest that a shotgun is worthy of consideration for home protection. It is much easier to hit your target with a long gun with a stock than with a handgun. And a shotgun hits a LOT harder, too.
Great point.....

I always suggest a dog first and then a shotgun for home protection.
Old June 22, 2009, 06:05 PM   #22
Colt1911forever

Quote:
P.S. Colt1911forever neglected to define "BHP" The Browning High Power. Yes, the original Wondernine, "Load on Sunday and shoot all week". It has a 13 round magazine and is a GREAT gun deisgn. John Moses Browning is considered a god among gunners for his many, many innovations and inventions, from the 50 Caliber machine gun to the .25 Auto
Yeah you can't spill on the beans.... If you go the BHP route look for one like this...

Old June 22, 2009, 06:29 PM   #23
J.T.

My wife has a CZ75 that she loves. I know that the way a gun feels in the hand is different for each person, but for what it's worth she says it feels great in her hands. The gun has been flawless over the years. I liked the way it shot so much that I was "inspired" to go out a CZ75B for myself. Good luck and have fun shopping.
Old June 22, 2009, 06:44 PM   #24
Colt1911forever

Quote:
My wife has a CZ75 that she loves. I know that the way a gun feels in the hand is different for each person, but for what it's worth she says it feels great in her hands. The gun has been flawless over the years. I liked the way it shot so much that I was "inspired" to go out a CZ75B for myself. Good luck and have fun shopping.
Great first post..... You are right everyone is different. CZ75B is a great gun.
Old June 22, 2009, 07:14 PM   #25
easyG

Quote:
Why do men always suggest revolvers to women in the SEMI-AUTO SECTION of the forum??????
Actually, I recommended the Glock 19 OR a .38 special revolver.
And I would make the same recommendation to any man who stated that the .40 is just a bit too powerful for him, even in the SEMI-AUTO SECTION.
Why?
Because it's good sound advice!

Quote:
Come on guys read the question and give her an intelligent answer.
What exactly, in your opinion, was unintelligent about my answer?