The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 28, 2002, 02:51 AM   #1
MikeS

Need info on the Ithaca Mag 10

I'm looking at a mint condition Ithaca Mag 10 for sale and have the following questions:

1) Was the "Roadblocker" simply a Mag 10 with a shorter barrel or
were there other modifications as well?

2) Can a Mag 10 in excellent shape and with an open bore barrel, shoot current Magnum buckshot and slugs?

3) Lastly, can anyone compare the Ithaca with the current with
the 10ga autos (and BPS) from Browning and Remington?

Thanks for your help.

Mike
Old January 29, 2002, 12:56 AM   #2
Badger Arms

The Remington SP-10? is merely Remington's version of the Ithaca Gun. They bought the design and now build it. The Browning BPS is a reworked and beefed up Remington Model 17. The Remington Model 17 was the John Pederson and John Browning design that precipitated the Ithaca 37. As such, all the 10ga models you mentioned are strangely related.

Back to the subject. The Mag-10 is a HEAVY gun and that coupled with the semi-auto action dampen recoil significantly over the BPS.

My opinion... Go for the BPS and have it Pro-ported by Mag-Na-Port. You can just ship them the barrel. Invest in a good recoil pad and bathe in the Browning designed perfection. The autoloading design is far too complicated for my tastes. I like something that works 100% of the time. Even the best of 10ga guns are carried lots and shot little. I'd rather have a two pound lighter gun that kicks slightly more. Other design advantages of the BPS are a single port for loading and ejection which protect it from the elements better. The pump is also easier to clean.
Old January 29, 2002, 01:04 AM   #3
Badger Arms

Wow, must be behind the times. I didn't realize that the BPS was as heavy as the SP-10. The Browning Gold 10 is one pound lighter and carries one more round (useless most places with a plug for hunting). The BPS is half the price of either of the other guns, though. Hmmm, add about $150 for the porting. Maybe a better recoil pad... you're still about $500 bucks better off.

Mag-Na-Port