The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 12, 2006, 02:59 PM   #1
GunGeek

1911 Trigger Length Adjustment

I am wondering how I can adjust the length of the trigger on a 1911, not the length of the trigger pull but the actual trigger. I just purchased a SW1911PD GunSite model and the trigger seems longer then my previous 1911, I can not grip the pistol correctly and get a good placement of my trigger finger, be exact I can't really get a grip on the trigger at all, I more hook the front with the meaty part of my finger tip. As you can guess accuracy is gone to hell.

Any ideas, suggestions, or recommendations on replacement parts or a gunsmith near me if that's what I need? Thanks for any and all help. I do have some minor gunsmithing experience but if it's a major job I rather take it to a pro.
Old November 12, 2006, 03:17 PM   #2
RickB

1911 triggers come in three or four different lengths. Most aftermarket triggers require a small amount of fitting, but I've heard that those oversize parts may be drop-in on a S&W 1911, so you may be able to make the switch without having to do anything but strip the pistol and swap parts. Greider triggers are very good.
Old November 12, 2006, 03:21 PM   #3
UH1-D Rotorhead

Go to...........

www.carryguns.com. They have very high quality 1911 parts, as well as different size solid triggers that should meet your needs.
Old November 12, 2006, 06:49 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

GunGeek,

As you might surmise, there is no adjustment other than very slight bending of the trigger bow on a standard 1911. You just have to buy a short trigger. Brownells also has a number of them. Theoretically, you could have the stirrup milled shorter, but it would be more costly than a new trigger.

I am curious about the S&W Gunsite model, not having seen one up close. The late Col. Cooper felt a standard 1911's grip frame was too big as it was, and the smithy at Gunsite would thin out the frames so a hand could get around it more easily. I, myself, went to my first Gunsite class with a long trigger and soon decided it was a mistake. Even though I was used to a long trigger from bullseye match shooting, in practical situations I wanted the biggest possible opening in the trigger guard for speed of trigger finger access and for the safety check (as Cooper taught it originally). The only point of disagreement I came to with Brownings's original 1911 design, aside from the size of its sights, was that I found the A1-style arched mainspring housing superior in helping my hand find the correct position on the gun in the holster faster. Attempting a presentation with a straight mainspring housing occasionally had the gun coming up with my hand a little low on the frame. Not helpful.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 12, 2006, 07:28 PM   #5
GunGeek

Unclenick,

Well today was my first range trip and only shot 100 rounds with it so it a limited review but so far I like it (trigger length problem excluded of course) It is extremely well made with no play in any of the parts and from the first shot it has been reliable. Accuracy was a bit weak, but I think that's more the weird grip I had to use on it, gripped normally I expect much improvement.

I got it because it had everything I wanted in a defensive 1911 at a decent price.