The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 4, 2005, 03:41 PM   #1
Duxman

Gun UPGRADES!

Recently I have gotten to the stage that I have enough Quantity of firearms - it was time to get some QUALITY pieces. Here is my upgrade story and I hope you guys and gals will share yours as well:

Moved from a Remington Nylon 66 to the Walther G22. I gave my Nylon 66 to my brother in law (its his first gun and he loves it.), but deep down inside I miss that old rifle. It fed any type of 22 ammo and was superbly accurate. Took a beating and keeps on ticking. Easy to clean. The Walter looks superior, fires just as accurately and is a bullpup to boot, but I am guess I am still getting used to it. So we shall see: Jury still out.

Last upgrade: CZ100 9mm to Walther P99 Titanium slide in 9mm. This is an easy transition. The CZ had a rough trigger, and not quite as nice as the Walther. Its bonus: Extremely reliable. Jury still out on the Walther as I have not yet fired it.

Your stories?
Old August 5, 2005, 07:02 AM   #2
foghornl

OK, I'll play. . .

"Snubby .38Spl" is an RG/Rohm model RG-38. Still shoots OK, but my 'go-to snubby' now is a "Sheriff's Model" [3-1/2" barrel] Vaquero.

I know, went to a single action revolver, but the RG had such a rotten DA pull I shot it single-action anyway.

Upgraded shotgun from "Pops" Savage/Stevens 94B 16-ga single-shot to a Maverick 88 12-ga pump. Oldest brother now has "Pops" shotty.

Upgraded .22LR/.22Mag SA revolver from a foriegn knockoff of a Colt SAA to a Ruger Single-Six. Ex took the knockoff with her.

Upgraded US made rifle from Marlin .30-30 to US Rifle Cal .30 M1. Supplemented that with a Mossberg ATR-100 in .30-06. Still have the Marlin.

Soviet Bloc weapons...Started with Mosin-Nagant M-44 ('54 Vintage Romanian), supplemented with Yugo 59/66 SKS, 1979 vintage.

Still have OLD Marlin 99 (.22LR), supplemented with Ruger 10/22 and several Butler Creek 'Hot Lips' 25-round banana magazines.

No longer have one of the famous Sattidy Nite Speshul cheapy .22's, upgraded to Ruger MK. II
Old August 6, 2005, 06:59 PM   #3
HighValleyRanch

I want one of those Ruger sheriff Vaqueros in SS with a birds head grip.
Stainless with ivory micarta grips. Can't get more gussied out than that!

What caliber is yours?
Old August 6, 2005, 07:53 PM   #4
joab

I did the ultimate upgrade 3 black powder revolvers for a 870
Old August 6, 2005, 08:01 PM   #5
SGHOTH

I only ever sold one gun. It was an ok piece but nothing special, and I had plenty of other guns in the same caliber.

Problem is I still miss it. I just can't seem to get comfortable getting rid of any. I still buy upgrades so I guess I am still stuck in the quantity rut. Can't have to many!
Old August 6, 2005, 08:04 PM   #6
sm

I cannot believe you got rid of a Nylon 66. I had six of the butt feed models burn up in a fire not long ago ( all the stuff at that off-site is lost) ...and having a helluva time finding replacements...

Upgrade:
Model 10 to more Model 10s
Model 64 3" RB HB to add another Mod 64 3" RB HB
Model 94 in 30-30 t0 adding another Model 94 in 30-30
err...umm...err I seem to repeat this with Marlin 60s, Gumbint 1911s , Shotguns...

eww , eww, I know I still gots the Keltec P-11 I T&E'ed back when- it is poly and black - that is really something for a fuddy duddy like me - that count?

Nope, that won't do either, now when I get a replacement for the BHP in 9mm - that'll be an UPGRADE.
Old August 6, 2005, 08:19 PM   #7
grimjaw

From a Taurus PT22 to a Beretta Bobcat M21A.
Still working on the rest.

jmm
Old August 6, 2005, 09:01 PM   #8
Night Watch
Registration in progress

If you shoot it well and it's reliable, too, then no upgrade is necessary! Besides it's never a good idea to sell any gun to someone you know well or see often. If he likes it, you'll never stop hearing about it! In the alternative, if he screws it up, you're going to have to stand behind the sale - Either way you're bound to lose something!
Old August 6, 2005, 09:11 PM   #9
Duxman

The nylon 66 went to my brother in law - its his first gun. No regrets - he is a good man and is enjoying it very much. I miss that old gun though.

The Walther now has a laser and its front grip is interchangable with my Beretta Storm. Testing ammo soon: Will let you know results.

Eventually one will have to replace outdated equipment. Streamline supplies especially with ammo interchagability.
Old August 8, 2005, 11:38 AM   #10
foghornl

High Valley Ranch:

Forgot to mention, the Sheriff's Model Vaquero is a .357Mag. I recently saw that Gander Mountain had the bird's head Sheriff Model...IIRC, it was in .45 Colt. That would make a pretty good "Sheriff's Model", particularly loaded up with some of those 250/255-Gr flat-nose 'Cowboy Action' rounds.